Do you think the Bills are going to make a big run at Clowney?

njbuff

Oh now you all love Matt Judon.

Where were y’all back in 2016?!?!

For real though: imagine if we drafted all of Bandit’s draft crushes in 2016 when we had the chance. It could’ve looked like:

Myles Jack

Kamalei Correa

Robby Anderson

Geronimo Allison

Matt Judon

Elandon Roberts

Ok, too many LBs, but they’d have been good LBs!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Last year they needed mid level players just to refill the talent and depth on the roster because they had none of it.... this year will be a somewhat of a different approach. Beane mentioned they'll look to FA to find starters.... why replace current mid level starters by signing mid level starters in FA? 

The team is in a different place then it was last year at this time. I feel they add at least two of the better FAs. 

Yes, it's in a different place last year. That will undoubtedly call for different strategies.

But it will absolutely not call for changing core principles.

And building your core through the draft and filling in with low- to mid-level guys is a core principle with them. As it is just about without exception for the teams that are consistently good, the Ravens, the Pats, the Pack, the Steelers. It's industry best practices. And it's what they've publicly said are their principles. Now, those teams do indeed bring in a high-level FA every once in a great while, like every five or six years. But two in one year? Nah. I mean, if by "better FAs" you're only referring to talent then hopefully you'll be right. But if you're talking about money, it's virtual certainty they won't bring in two top-level guys. One? I doubt it, but again, even those class organizations do it once in a blue moon. Maybe this will be the year for us.

They say they're going to find starters? Absolutely. They did it last year with Morse, Brown, Beasley, Spain, etc. I absolutely expect a few of those types again.

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You wouldn't call an $11 mill a year player mid-level? I would. Star was even less. And pretending Morse and Star are "big name signings" is ridiculous.

Morse was the 16th highest FA signing in terms of average salary, if you only look at last year's FAs. That is certainly not top-level.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them sign another $10 or $11 million FA this year. I'd be very surprised to see them sign a high-level guy, though.

Morse was the Top 2 Center on the Market.  YEP.

Start was a top 5 DT on the market yep.

So History says they will sign at least one Headlining UFA

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The value of a run stopping defensive tackle who really isn't all that good at it vs a dominant, game changing defensive lineman.... no, it's really not the same thing. 

Agreed, those two aren't the same thing. But neither of those describes Star.

What Star is is a very good run stopping defensive tackle. He's a guy who does what McDermott needs done. The fact that he doesn't do things the way a few keyboard warriors would like is beside the point. McDermott was very aware what he was getting, he coached him in Carolina and paid what he felt that role was worth to him and Star is doing much the same thing here.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not a rocket scientist.  Humor me.  I mean, the Bills were said to be in on trading for AB also, but I don't believe it was more than a "due diligence" sniff.

Who's us?  You got a twin?  Or a mouse in your pocket?  Some of us love a good defensive battle.

Probably true except at one position - Edge

Love that you love.  But it’s like nails on a chalk board for me.  Maybe it’s because my first experience with football was starting at a tender age in 1989 Cleveland WC Game and then all the formative years were watching the no huddle attack.

Offense Offense Offense

44 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

“Responsibly” doesn’t necessarily mean “inexpensively”. They gave a center with a concussion history $11M AAV last offseason; they’ll spend when they need to...and this year, they need to.

I think folks are really underestimating the amount of cap space this team has. They could sign 3 different $15M/year guys and still have plenty of room for draft picks and in-season transactions. And with Star potentially coming off the books next year, they still would have $60M to spend on extensions for Tre/Milano/Dawkins.

There is absolutely no reason to pinch pennies here.

We're not underestimating the cap they've got this year. It's nearly exactly what they had last year. And last year they didn't have the opportunity they have this year to use a bunch of that money to re-sign their own guys, and yet they still didn't bring in the high contracts. And they left $25 mill unspent so they'd be in good shape this year, something they might well want to make a continuing practice.

I mean, if you consider one $11 mill a year contract and several around $7 or $8 like last year a lot of spending then we agree, they're very likely to spend at that kind of a general level.

Oh, and responsibly very often does mean inexpensively. Expect conservative cap spending practices, it's what these guys are about. Check their record at Carolina and their public statements.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think so. Clowney will want huge money most likely and that is not what Bean is about. They wan't to build through the draft and plug holes with free agents here and there. Not sure he would be worth the money he will be looking for.

33 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Morse was the Top 2 Center on the Market.  YEP.

Start was a top 5 DT on the market yep.

So History says they will sign at least one Headlining UFA

Well, if you seriously consider a "top 5" guy as a headliner ... not much I can say to that beyond that you're using "headlining" in a way that not many other people would ever use it.

Yeah, another $10 mill or so a year contract is a very reasonable possibility this year and every year if it fills a need. Not so much $18 or $20 mill, though.

45 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

We're not underestimating the cap they've got this year. It's nearly exactly what they had last year. And last year they didn't have the opportunity they have this year to use a bunch of that money to re-sign their own guys, and yet they still didn't bring in the high contracts. And they left $25 mill unspent so they'd be in good shape this year, something they might well want to make a continuing practice.

I mean, if you consider one $11 mill a year contract and several around $7 or $8 like last year a lot of spending then we agree, they're very likely to spend at that kind of a general level.

Oh, and responsibly very often does mean inexpensively. Expect conservative cap spending practices, it's what these guys are about. Check their record at Carolina and their public statements.

Nope.

Last year they had $80M in cap space with less than 40 players under contract.

This year, assuming a cap of $199M, they have almost $90M in cap space with an entire regular season roster (53) under contract. HUGE difference.

Let me ask this: suppose instead of signing Morse at 11, Brown at 9, Beasley at 7, and Nsekhe at 6.5 (total of 33.5), they sign, say, Ngakoue at 18 and AJ Green at 15.5–same dollars; is one more “responsible” than the other?

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well, if you seriously consider a "top 5" guy as a headliner ... not much I can say to that beyond that you're using "headlining" in a way that not many other people would ever use it.

Yeah, another $10 mill or so a year contract is a very reasonable possibility this year and every year if it fills a need. Not so much $18 or $20 mill, though.

Why?

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh now you all love Matt Judon.

I didn't love Matt Judon when he was beating Knox like a drum and strip-sacking Allen.

But I'd love to see him wearing a Bills uni and doing same to someone else.

Didn't Baltimore kind of imply they would franchise him if they need to keep him from walking, though?

33 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes When 64 usable tags get applied, guess what it left?

17 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think they want a stud DE, but the type of money Clowney wants will probably cause Beane to look at other FAs that may be available.

This might be a good poll...

Clowney didn't have a year that will get him a monster payday.  3 sacks aint gonna get you 20 mil a year.

17 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

no chance

we have so many holes on offense to fill we don't need to be spending a chunk of our cap on an injury prone DE. 

Where are these holes?  I think growth and a couple players is all thats needed.  A second RB and a big WR is all I see.  I think ppl forget all the new faces on offense this past season.  The offense would get better as it is just with another offseason.

Josh will improve.  

The Oline, especially Ford will improve.

Singletary.

The TEs.

Unless you think Rooks are a finished product coming out of the draft.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think most of agree the Bills biggest needs are WR and Edge.  With $90 million it behooves the Bills to fix both before the draft.   Elite edge players don't come cheap. Beane has made plays for Clowney before.   I'm sure he is doing his due diligence on Clowney, and if he's a great fit, he will very much be a player for Clowney.   IMO Seattle tags Clowney.  Beane will sign Edge and WR .  He will make a big signing at WR, Edge, OL, or TE IMO.

OL maybe.

TE really??

Edge I agree with.

WR is a possibility.

36 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nope.

Last year they had $80M in cap space with less than 40 players under contract.

This year, assuming a cap of $199M, they have almost $90M in cap space with an entire regular season roster (53) under contract. HUGE difference.

Let me ask this: suppose instead of signing Morse at 11, Brown at 9, Beasley at 7, and Nsekhe at 6.5 (total of 33.5), they sign, say, Ngakoue at 18 and AJ Green at 15.5–same dollars; is one more “responsible” than the other?

I'd argue that signing both just would not fit their expressed methods. They've said again and again that they build with the draft and fill in with FAs and that they don't do a lot of expensive FAs.

Assuming they are going to pick one or the other (unlikely but possible, IMO), yeah, I absolutely think one is more responsible than the other. The one who has played in 62 of 64 games the last four years over the one who has played in 35 of 48 games the last three years and will be 32, an age where injuries tend to increase.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Yeah, the Bills right now have 53 players under contract, and $89 mill available. Yeah, but that includes guys like Christian Wade, Kaare Vedvik, Cam Lewis, Tyrel Dodson and Victor Salako and you can say they have 53 guys, but those guys are absolute minimum salaries against the cap right now. It's not very different at all from last year. But last year we had basically nobody they could re-sign. This year quite a few guys could possibly be re-inked, including Tre'D or Dion Dawkins, though they also might wait to do 'em.

Edited by Thurman#1

One thing i will say is - its becoming important to be able to stop the run.  Clowney is a really good run defender at DE. 

But now its basically at legit every spot on defense.  It's a passing league sure, but its almost comical how much more teams are running in the playoffs this year.  It reminds me of hockey - this super fast finesse game during the regular season.. then refs don't call any penalties so it becomes a much more physical game in the playoffs.  

I think part of it is the analytics piece (a pass play is more likely to net more yards than a run play) almost gets thrown out because it's just a single game.  You are gameplanning a single match-up etc.  

I'm sure they'll check into it and get a ballpark idea of what kind of deal he's looking for. He's a decent player but he's never quite become the monster he was hyped up to be. I wouldn't be bummed if they don't sign him, and I wouldn't be doing backflips if they do... just kinda meh on it. If they do sign him, just don't give him stupid money.

Lot of people been suggesting Yannick Ngakoue, he'd be alright. Jags GM recently said he thinks they'll get a deal done "relatively easily" with him. But then Ngakoue went on Twitter and said "Don't believe everything you hear." 

One thing's for sure, if they do end up with either of those guys, prepare to see some people losing their marbles over the money. Bills have always had to overspend a little to get FA's in here. Perhaps that changes now that they've hit the playoffs in two out of the last three years... but, even then, if it's a guy they really want here, they'll pay out. Kinda like Morse. Is he the best center in the league? Probably not, but he's paid to be, and hey, whatever works. They might be overpaying some guys depending on who you ask but at least they're going out there and addressing their needs. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1