Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dkollidas

What position does Beane prioritize in FA?

Recommended Posts

beane prioritizes VALUE

 

you never know who or what position that presents itself.

 

in a perfect world, i'd say EDGE is top priority

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd be surprised if they went all Carolina in the offseason.... specifically on offense.

 

I'd say go all Carolina and hire their cast off former thorn in Buffalo's side, Norv Turner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, Boatdrinks said:

Probably right . Then maybe TE and OL. Not a ton of quality there at WR, so it will likely have to be a trade situation there to get immediate help. They still need to draft a WR, but they’ve got a bit need there and just a draft pick won’t cover it. 

After the two picks spent on TE + Kroft they are definitely not looking for TEs this year. 

3 hours ago, chongli said:

 

And the thing is we could have had Mike Evans in 2013 in the draft, but instead chose Sammy Watkins.

No Tampa is never trading us Mike Evans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, papazoid said:

beane prioritizes VALUE

 

you never know who or what position that presents itself.

 

in a perfect world, i'd say EDGE is top priority

 

Overall I would say that the value might be there at edge. Even factoring in franchise tags and players resigning there will likely be several prime Edge free agents on the market. I think the market and need for an edge defender (even if Shaq is retained) lines up. Whereas I don't see the value on the WR market. 

 

Cooper is the only young stud WR on the market (and he has concerns) the rest of the players are older or more questionable less proven younger players. So I think the value might not be there. Then again WR was thought to be a weak market in Free Agency last season and Beane did hand out retail value contracts to Brown and Beasley (They turned out to be good signings but the value for the production they had going into 2019 wasn't a great value for the aav they got.)

 

I actually trust McBeane (the first time I have ever actually trusted a GM/Coach/Management of the Bills since I have been a fan) if he lets guys walk they weren't a good value and if they bring someone in it makes sense. Granted there have been some bad moves (looking at Kroft and Murphy) but overall they have proven to be excellent at drafting and more than capable in free agency (esp when they have the cash to spend.) 

 

My hope is they retain 2-3 of their starting free agents (Spain, Shaq, and Phillips) and then add at least 2 starting pieces to help fill some holes going into the draft (Along with some depth/role players to help round out the roster) where they can be in a position to plug in the final remaining 1-2 starting pieces needed and add stronger depth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I would love to see the Bills go after Ngakoue or Clowney.  But, my interpretation of what Beane said about “not being players in the deep end of the pool like last year” is that he doesn’t intend to make a splashy FA signing.

 

That disappoints me, I would like to see one each on offense and defense.

Splashy players don’t necessarily mean more production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I would love to see the Bills go after Ngakoue or Clowney.  But, my interpretation of what Beane said about “not being players in the deep end of the pool like last year” is that he doesn’t intend to make a splashy FA signing.

 

That disappoints me, I would like to see one each on offense and defense.

My interpretation of that was they won't sign as many players as they did last offseason.... I think they bring in at least one or two real good FAs.

 

It would be disappointed if they don't and focus solely on depth. They need upgrades at starting positions, not depth. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

My interpretation of that was they won't sign as many players as they did last offseason.... I think they bring in at least one or two real good FAs.

 

It would be disappointed if they don't and focus solely on depth. They need upgrades at starting positions, not depth. 

 

So here's an Athletic article discussing the Beane post season presser.

 

“We probably won’t be spending at the deep end of the pool that we did last year, where we were,” Beane said.

I believe he's referring to Mitch Morse, whom we made the 2nd highest paid center by AAV top-5 or so by about any way you slice it.  Joe B interprets this as " You can never say never, but issuing another big deal for a pass rusher or wide receiver that has multi-year cap ramifications is the type of business Beane wants to avoid in free agency.

 

“You can get guys that are minimum contract guys. You can get guys that are low-tier type, kind of middle of the road,” Beane said. “Those sometimes are as important or more important than those big-ticket items.”

 

Joe B points out that John Brown is #24 and Beasley #35 for contract at their position.  He speculates " In 2020 free agency, the Bills will likely look for players of that middle-tier caliber on either short-term deals or contracts they can get out of easily."

 

I would dearly love to see us make a big play for some high-quality starters on both lines and at TE.  But I don't see it happening from what Beane has said about .  I think they will look for some guys who can start or compete to start, especially if a rookie they draft high proves to need time to get ready.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

So here's an Athletic article discussing the Beane post season presser.

 

“We probably won’t be spending at the deep end of the pool that we did last year, where we were,” Beane said.

I believe he's referring to Mitch Morse, whom we made the 2nd highest paid center by AAV top-5 or so by about any way you slice it.  Joe B interprets this as " You can never say never, but issuing another big deal for a pass rusher or wide receiver that has multi-year cap ramifications is the type of business Beane wants to avoid in free agency.

 

“You can get guys that are minimum contract guys. You can get guys that are low-tier type, kind of middle of the road,” Beane said. “Those sometimes are as important or more important than those big-ticket items.”

 

Joe B points out that John Brown is #24 and Beasley #35 for contract at their position.  He speculates " In 2020 free agency, the Bills will likely look for players of that middle-tier caliber on either short-term deals or contracts they can get out of easily."

 

I would dearly love to see us make a big play for some high-quality starters on both lines and at TE.  But I don't see it happening from what Beane has said about .  I think they will look for some guys who can start or compete to start, especially if a rookie they draft high proves to need time to get ready.

 

 

 

 

 

Don't see how they'd expect to take the next step without adding some star power..... can't just rely on your own and rookies. They need some real quality skill position players and they don't have them on the roster so no, I don't buy Joe Bs interpretation. 

 

I'd be really surprised if they don't add a high quality starter at WR or defensive line. Gotta spend that cap somewhere and who are they extending outside of Dawkins and maybe Milano this offseason? (I'd argue that neither are worth the big bucks yet.) 

 

 

Edited by ScottLaw
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't see how they'd expect to take the next step without adding some star power..... can't just rely on your own and rookies. They need some real quality skill position players and they don't have them on the roster so no, I don't buy Joe Bs interpretation. 

 

I'd be really surprised if they don't add a high quality starter at WR or defensive line. Gotta spend that cap somewhere and who are they extending outside of Dawkins and maybe Milano this offseason? (I'd argue that neither are worth the big bucks yet.)

 

I agree with your first.  But I fear Beane is addicted to trying to do "enough" on offense; otherwise, how could he have brought us into 2018 with the OL and skill players we had?

 

Hopefully Daboll feels well enough established that he can pound on the table and make that point that we need some upgrades to take that next step.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't see how they'd expect to take the next step without adding some star power..... can't just rely on your own and rookies. They need some real quality skill position players and they don't have them on the roster so no, I don't buy Joe Bs interpretation. 

 

I'd be really surprised if they don't add a high quality starter at WR or defensive line. Gotta spend that cap somewhere and who are they extending outside of Dawkins and maybe Milano this offseason? (I'd argue that neither are worth the big bucks yet.) 

 

 

I get it, but look at how John Brown performed as opposed to the contract he signed. Same for Feliciano. I believe he’s also tempering expectations. He’s not gonna go out and necessarily say “yup, we’re gonna drop $15-$20M on a guy and bring in some big money studs”. 
 

They said Shady was a big part of the team and then cut him before the season.

 

They said they didn’t believe in the idea of a #1 WR, but looked at going after Antonio Brown. 
 

I don’t think they view it as necessary to get a guy like that. But I believe they’ll look into all options available. 
 

The thing we’ve got to remember is that you’ve also got to find free agents that want to come here as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I agree with your first.  But I fear Beane is addicted to trying to do "enough" on offense; otherwise, how could he have brought us into 2018 with the OL and skill players we had?

 

Hopefully Daboll feels well enough established that he can pound on the table and make that point that we need some upgrades to take that next step.

 

 

Yea we will see. He admitted he hasn't done a good job of getting enough for the offense so I suspect he really addresses it this offseason. 

6 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I get it, but look at how John Brown performed as opposed to the contract he signed. Same for Feliciano. I believe he’s also tempering expectations. He’s not gonna go out and necessarily say “yup, we’re gonna drop $15-$20M on a guy and bring in some big money studs”. 
 

They said Shady was a big part of the team and then cut him before the season.

 

They said they didn’t believe in the idea of a #1 WR, but looked at going after Antonio Brown. 
 

I don’t think they view it as necessary to get a guy like that. But I believe they’ll look into all options available. 
 

The thing we’ve got to remember is that you’ve also got to find free agents that want to come here as well. 

Free agents will come here if you pay them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Joe B points out that John Brown is #24 and Beasley #35 for contract at their position.  He speculates " In 2020 free agency, the Bills will likely look for players of that middle-tier caliber on either short-term deals or contracts they can get out of easily."

 

This thinking concerns me.  Are we trying to save money with lunch pail guys or are we trying to win?

 

I'm not saying big money guys always work out or are necessarily what's needed. But we don't need more cheap average to above average WRs.  We NEED a couple of studs to get to the next level and help Josh to become the QB we all hope he can be.

 

We're about 1/2 way through JA's rookie contract. We don't want to get to the end and still wonder if with better WRs he could THE GUY.  Time to find that out is 2020 and 2021.

 

should be an interesting off season.

1 hour ago, tcampbell104 said:

i don't think it will happen but a stud cb to team with white will will also be a big boost to this defense.

 

This will be our first pick I suspect. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

 

This thinking concerns me.  Are we trying to save money with lunch pail guys or are we trying to win?

 

I'm not saying big money guys always work out or are necessarily what's needed. But we don't need more cheap average to above average WRs.  We NEED a couple of studs to get to the next level and help Josh to become the QB we all hope he can be.

 

We're about 1/2 way through JA's rookie contract. We don't want to get to the end and still wonder if with better WRs he could THE GUY.  Time to find that out is 2020 and 2021.

 

should be an interesting off season.

 

This will be our first pick I suspect. 

100% agree with the post up until the CB with the first round pick..... really depends on what gets done in FA but I'm pretty sure I'd absolutely hate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DE in FA. WR1 in the draft. I'd like Conklin or Castonzo at RT if we can get one. There are a ton of edge guys that could be available hypothetically: Bud Dupree, Shaq Barrett, Matthew Judon, Kyle Van Noy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 5:10 AM, Niagara Dude said:

Bills should cut some of their own guys like Kroft/Murphy/Lee Smith/ Spencer Long/ which will save them about 20 million in cap space and sign guys with above average talent..  We sign 2  high end guys like Bud Dupree LB/DE / Conklin RT and than we set ourselves up nice for the draft.  I would resign Lawson and Philips,  another player on the roster with big question mark is Star.  The problem with cutting him is that even though we would have another 2 mill in cap savings we also would have 7.8 mill in dead money.  End of the day Bills need to decide if signing a free agent DT improves their run defense.

I actually hope they retain Spencer Long.....for the money he is on he has played well as a backup OG.

 

My spider sense says Spain will want to get paid....they will insert Ford into that starting spot....Long is retained and backs up the OG positions.....Ty.  N. is the starting RT with Waddle backing him up and they draft a OL in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

100% agree with the post up until the CB with the first round pick..... really depends on what gets done in FA but I'm pretty sure I'd absolutely hate that.

 

It was sort of in  jest. However in the McDermott era we have taken a defensive player in the first round every year.  And we have a weakness in McDermott's D at the 2nd CB spot.

 

We passed up really good offensive guys to take defensive guys.  Tredavian Nighmare instead of Watson and Mahommes and Oliver over Lamar Jackson for example.  Not saying these are not good players, but they are defensive in round 1.

 

I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QB

On 1/14/2020 at 7:58 AM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

If what they are preaching is true

 

To score points IT HAS TO BE on offense 

 

A #1 WR and TE. 

How about a QB  to throw to them ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...