Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dkollidas

What position does Beane prioritize in FA?

Recommended Posts

We lost 6 games this year if I remember correctly we all sat here and held the offense responsible , to me personally the  one that hurt the most was the pats**** game at home , Cleveland, Baltimore, when we needed one more score and the offense FAILED....

 

 

 

 

Edited by Putin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

McD was clear that he thinks this team does not need a "#1 WR", so don't be too surprised or disappointed with more of the same.


He also said that they weren’t getting rid of McCoy.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

McD was clear that he thinks this team does not need a "#1 WR", so don't be too surprised or disappointed with more of the same.

When was that, at end of year PC?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Typically number 1 WR's don't hit free agency. I mean who is the target on offense? Amari Cooper isn't getting to free agency. AJ Green would be nice but what exactly are we getting? I'de rather go through the draft or trade. 

 

I could see some OL hitting free agency that would help but I think they like their OL.

 

If you're the bengals AJ green is exactly the guy you keep if you draft burrow.  Assuming some of their offensive linemen don't get injured this time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Beane’s comments, I don’t see them

making a big splash at all. Maybe some more depth guys on D and a mid-tier interior linemen. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

From Beane’s comments, I don’t see them

making a big splash at all. Maybe some more depth guys on D and a mid-tier interior linemen. 

That'd be awful....

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what they do with Ford depends First; on what happens with Spain. Second, if Spain leaves what free agents are available and decide to actually come here if they are pursued. 
 

ultimately I think they bring back Spain and keep Ford at tackle. They trust their coaches to develop the player. He only played one year of college at tackle, flipped between tackle and guard all training camp, and was in the Big12. I think they believe he has RT upside and that they can develop him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

From Beane’s comments, I don’t see them

making a big splash at all. Maybe some more depth guys on D and a mid-tier interior linemen. 

 

Beane hopes he has other GMs as convinced as you with his smoke and mirrors.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That'd be awful....

 

Is it common for a GM to lay out his offseason plan to the public before the playoffs are even over? 😄

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think the easiest way for us to make a huge jump next year is to let Spain walk due to kicking Ford inside, and then make a run at Conklin for RT.   That right there, is a very good OL.

 

Then on defense, let Phillips walk, re-sign Lawson and Johnson, then target Ngakoue.

 

Higgins in the 1st.  Dobbins in the 2nd.  Linebacker in the 3rd. 

 

It all seems so simple on paper...

That’s pretty good and I almost forgot about JK getting him late in the 2nd would be ideal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Putin said:

You don't think adding someone like Mike Evens would give us a TRUE # 1 WR that IMO we desperately need AND would solidify our WR core ?

 

Mike Evans would have been the one person we need to catch that pass in the EZ to Duke or the jump ball to the FB and bingo, we win!

 

Mike Evans is EXACTLY the kind of guy we need to help Josh be all he can be.

4 hours ago, Putin said:

I understand that we need to spread the wealth , but I think offense must be our First priority we will not get far with scoring 16 points a game no matter how good our defense is , and BTW didn't we have a # 3 ranked defense this year ? How about our offense ? 

 

24th in yards and 23rd in points.

4 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

For example, the 49ers added Dee Ford and Emanuel Sanders... I could see something like this happening; then continue to draft well, add a few tier 2 free agents (OL/DB) keep and develop our own.

 

49ers are only in the third year their rebuild too.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:


I hope I am wrong or he was bluffing. 

 

First off, never believe anything Beane says.  He's posturing always.  He tells the truth as often as a politician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 10:57 PM, Chemical said:

Thought I remember Beane saying he likes to use free agency to fill starter needs and then draft BPA. Upgrade a Pass rusher, RT, WR and CB across from Tre.
 

There are a lot of good veteran corners that might hit free agency. Same for pass rushers. You listed a bunch above. One that I thought of today is Emanuel Ogbah. Would probably come cheaper that Ngakoue, he’s bigger at 275, and put up 5.5 sacks in 10 games mostly as a backup. 

CB for sure.  Wallace is so weak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 8:10 AM, Niagara Dude said:

Bills should cut some of their own guys like Kroft/Murphy/Lee Smith/ Spencer Long

i'm okay with cutting croft,murphy smith was a penalty machine but he was a hell of a blocker. long i don't know how much he is being paid but he seemed to play well when he had to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 9:11 AM, Putin said:

You don't think adding someone like Mike Evens would give us a TRUE # 1 WR that IMO we desperately need AND would solidify our WR core ?

 

And the thing is we could have had Mike Evans in 2013 in the draft, but instead chose Sammy Watkins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

 

First off, never believe anything Beane says.  He's posturing always.  He tells the truth as often as a politician.

 

A good GM should never be honest to the media. Keep their plans in house always. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't think we'll make a lot of big splashes this year.

 

With all the CAP space we have, I think we're going to largely use it to resign our young guys like Tre and Milano.

 

I'm sure we'll go out and get a FA WR, DE, OL, and CB, but I don't envision the top tier guys like Green, Cooper, or Yannick.

 

It'll be an interesting offseason, but when Beane and McDermott talk about liking the guys they have in the room, I think they mean it.  Last offseason was the overhaul on offense.  From here on out it's a player here and there, but mostly keeping our homegrown talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

I'm sure we'll go out and get a FA WR, DE, OL, and CB, but I don't envision the top tier guys like Green, Cooper, or Yannick.

Can be done with all Carolina guys. Funchess, Addison, Williams, Bradberry/Worley respectively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I just don't think we'll make a lot of big splashes this year.

 

With all the CAP space we have, I think we're going to largely use it to resign our young guys like Tre and Milano.

 

I'm sure we'll go out and get a FA WR, DE, OL, and CB, but I don't envision the top tier guys like Green, Cooper, or Yannick.

 

It'll be an interesting offseason, but when Beane and McDermott talk about liking the guys they have in the room, I think they mean it.  Last offseason was the overhaul on offense.  From here on out it's a player here and there, but mostly keeping our homegrown talent.

 Think you'll see a couple big splashes if you count a guy like Yannick and Green as a big splash.

 

Just can't justify not making a big move offensively, IMO. Need playmakers, and can't rely only on rookies to get there.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Can be done with all Carolina guys. Funchess, Addison, Williams, Bradberry/Worley respectively. 

Funchess? He blows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Funchess? He blows.

I didn't say I wanted any of them, just that it's possible (and the fallout here would be tremendous).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I didn't say I wanted any of them, just that it's possible (and the fallout here would be tremendous).

I'd be surprised if they went all Carolina in the offseason.... specifically on offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

 Think you'll see a couple big splashes if you count a guy like Yannick and Green as a big splash.

 

Just can't justify not making a big move offensively, IMO. Need playmakers, and can't rely only on rookies to get there.

 

I left out Dawkins.

 

Tre, Milano and Dawkins.  If Beane is smart he resigns 2 of those 3 guys.  Next year comes Josh and Edmunds.

 

I really think we're getting our playmaking WR in the draft in round 1 or 2.  We'll probably get one of those lower tier FAs like Funchess also who will ultimately be fighting for a roster spot.

 

I think they'll view the 2019 season as a season of young guys learning the game.  Singletary obviously becomes our workhorse next year.  Knox said himself in his exit interviews he needs to work on his drops--and I legitimately think Knox is going to be a BEAST for us starting next year.  Josh is going to be working this offseason with his chemistry with all the WRs we already have--Beasley and Brown are good and will continue to be on the field consistently.

 

So, we need another WR and another RB as far as weapons go.  I think we're pretty good at TE.

 

I just think Beane and McDermott prefer building through the draft, and if this draft is as good at WR as is advertised, we're going to continue with the youth movement and let the young rookie learn between our 2 vet WRs beside him.

 

I think our offense was more plagued by youth and an unfamiliarity with each other since our offense was overhauled in the offseason.

 

I'm most concerned with what we do to replace LoRax and Shaq, who I still think will be gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect same As last year. Mid tier FA value to plug holes allowing flexibility in the draft. 

positions in no particular order: 

Edge (Perhaps only big splash play) 

Multiple mid tier WRs 

OLB

RB2 

Maybe 1or 2 flexible interior guys 
kicker 

punter 

Rotational DT depth

probably some competition at TE

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

I left out Dawkins.

 

Tre, Milano and Dawkins.  If Beane is smart he resigns 2 of those 3 guys.  Next year comes Josh and Edmunds.

 

I really think we're getting our playmaking WR in the draft in round 1 or 2.  We'll probably get one of those lower tier FAs like Funchess also who will ultimately be fighting for a roster spot.

 

I think they'll view the 2019 season as a season of young guys learning the game.  Singletary obviously becomes our workhorse next year.  Knox said himself in his exit interviews he needs to work on his drops--and I legitimately think Knox is going to be a BEAST for us starting next year.  Josh is going to be working this offseason with his chemistry with all the WRs we already have--Beasley and Brown are good and will continue to be on the field consistently.

 

So, we need another WR and another RB as far as weapons go.  I think we're pretty good at TE.

 

I just think Beane and McDermott prefer building through the draft, and if this draft is as good at WR as is advertised, we're going to continue with the youth movement and let the young rookie learn between our 2 vet WRs beside him.

 

I think our offense was more plagued by youth and an unfamiliarity with each other since our offense was overhauled in the offseason.

 

I'm most concerned with what we do to replace LoRax and Shaq, who I still think will be gone.

Why are we concerned about extending Josh? He’s yet to prove he’s worth any sort of extension, 

 

I agree that Dawkins will get extended. Not sure on Milano who’s been inconsistent at best since coming back from his injury in 2018. Tre is under contract next season with a team option in 2021. They don’t need to worry about him.... honestly he’s the only one they absolutely need to lock up. None of those other guys are must keep, IMO.

 

At some point you have to add star players and can’t solely rely on building through the draft. That window is now. As I said in another thread I think I’ll riot if Funchess is the only veteran WR they bring in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...