What position does Beane prioritize in FA?

Dkollidas

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

don’t cut players until replacement in house. 89M in cap space you can sign ANYONE without cutting anyone. And take everyone to camp for Competition 

The only issue there is players with roster bonuses.  Notably Murphy and Hughes each have one due on 3/22/20 plus Spotrac shows Hughes salary in 2020 guaranteed.  So Hughes isn’t going anywhere and neither is Murphy unless a replacement can be found right away in FA.  Heck, we need 3 quality DEs so I’m good if we bring in a high end DE and keep both for a season. 

Depends, normally a team already has a plan of who to go after in FA and who/what position they want to go for in draft...sometimes a position is SO BAD(like OL last year) they use BOTH FA and draft...FA im betting OL/DL maybe even WR but we shall see Draft im betting WR/DE they may also add some safety depth..oh and a PUNTER...do we really need or need to keep the worst punter in the NFL???

Just now, BarleyNY said:

The only issue there is players with roster bonuses.  Notably Murphy and Hughes each have one due on 3/22/20 plus Spotrac shows Hughes salary in 2020 guaranteed.  So Hughes isn’t going anywhere and neither is Murphy unless a replacement can be found right away in FA.  Heck, we need 3 quality DEs so I’m good if we bring in a high end DE and keep both for a season. 

1M for Murphy. Not an issue. That is just cash. His dead is still 1.75M either way. 

yep Hughes would cost more in dead money than savings. He isn’t going anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

1M for Murphy. Not an issue. That is just cash. His dead is still 1.75M either way. 

yep Hughes would cost more in dead money than savings. He isn’t going anywhere. 

If we pay Murphy the $1M roster bonus, then cut him, his dead money would rise to $2.75M (that $1M has to be accounted for in the cap).  Keeping him would be $6.1M more.  Barring some crazy incident (i.e. AB, Chung, Garrett) there’s no way we cut him after paying the bonus.

Edited by BarleyNY

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

If we pay Murphy the $1M roster bonus, then cut him, his dead money would be $2.75M.  Keeping him would be $6.1M more.  Barring some crazy incident (i.e. AB, Chung, Garrett) there’s no way we cut him after paying the bonus.

no you trade him. If Murphy is not part of the Long term plan and you are signing into the position or drafting into the position you work the trade. After the bonus is paid his value goes up more. Murphy on a 5M (bonus paid) contract is very tempting for a team to trade for. Specially after this year where his numbers show he is healthy and back to where he was. 

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea... after watching the Titans take it to the Ravens defensive front I find myself wanting them to make some upgrades on the offensive line.... can't have Ford playing RT next season. Move him inside and find a capable veteran RT while adding another quality depth guy inside. 

It's somewhat ridiculous the offense is still as bad as it is 3 years into this regime change. 

Watt battered Ford all day.  Where do you move him to?

46 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea... after watching the Titans take it to the Ravens defensive front I find myself wanting them to make some upgrades on the offensive line.... can't have Ford playing RT next season. Move him inside and find a capable veteran RT while adding another quality depth guy inside. 

It's somewhat ridiculous the offense is still as bad as it is 3 years into this regime change. 

Conklin is the best RT in FA at this point and he's pretty average. I want a STUD OT to take over at LT and move Dawkins over to RT. Then Ford can compete with Feliciano at RG. Also, McD is a former DC, so it's no surprise the D is better. They performed above their talent level due to coaching. The offense has a long way to go.

That said, I'm thinking he's just going to look at all options and initially pursue whatever FA deal looks best at any position of need and that could be anywhere. For example, he could make a tam friendly deal for an average WR2, which would be an upgrade or an average OT (Conklin). I think price will ultimately decide as long as the guy fits our culture.

Edited by GreggTX

RB

WR

EDGE

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Conklin is the best RT in FA at this point and he's pretty average. I want a STUD OT to take over at LT and move Dawkins over to RT. Then Ford can compete with Feliciano at RG. Also, McD is a former DC, so it's no surprise the D is better. They performed above their talent level due to coaching. The offense has a long way to go.

You do not want Dawkins on the right side.

27 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

no you trade him. If Murphy is not part of the Long term plan and you are signing into the position or drafting into the position you work the trade. After the bonus is paid his value goes up more. Murphy on a 5M (bonus paid) contract is very tempting for a team to trade for. Specially after this year where his numbers show he is healthy and back to where he was. 

You could trade him, but you’re not going to get much for him since he would be on the last season of his deal.  He is due a $6.1M salary and $100k w/o bonus on top of the $1M roster bonus.  (The Bills are taking the $1.75M cap hit from the signing bonus regardless).

I don’t see why people are so ready to dump him though.  He’s underperformed his contract, sure.  But he’s improved lately and he’s worth keeping around for $7.2M unless we find someone better.  Even then a case could easily be made to keep him around for one more season to be part of a 3 DE rotation - and then yield a comp pick. 

I’m just not a fan of thinning out our Edge position.  It’s too important, and we saw what having a gimpy Hughes did to our rush from the edge.  Kudos to him for gutting it out.  Seriously.  What he did all season was impressive, but he wasn’t himself.  I don’t want to be one play away from something like that again. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3

-RT so Ford can move to LG

-WR, but I think we draft one as well

-DE and/or OLB that can rush the passer

I think the Bills will attempt to bring in studs at those positions.  I'm not sure how successful they will be.  Beyond that, depth at DT and CB.  

9 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Conklin is a former All Pro who has suffered many injuries resulting in the Titans not picking up the 5th year option.  Probably a high risk high reward type of guy.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t see why people are so ready to dump him though.  He’s underperformed his contract, sure.  But he’s improved lately and he’s worth keeping around for $7.2M unless we find someone better.  Even then a case could easily be made to keep him around for one more season to be part of a 3 DE rotation - and then yield a comp pick. 

I agree.  He's not great but he's alright.  WR spot gets most of the attention, rightfully so, but DE is a close second as far as need.  Beane won't dump Murphy unless there are 3 defensive ends on the Bills roster who are better than him.  Currently, they have one - Hughes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You could trade him, but you’re not going to get much for him since he would be on the last season of his deal.  He is due a $6.1M salary and $100k w/o bonus on top of the $1M roster bonus.  (The Bills are taking the $1.75M cap hit from the signing bonus regardless).

I’m just not a fan of thinning out our Edge position.  It’s too important, and we saw what having a gimpy Hughes did to our rush from the edge.  Kudos to him for gutting it out.  Seriously.  What he did all season was impressive, but he wasn’t himself.  I don’t want to be one play away from something like that again. 

again at 6.1M base IF Bills want to go another route which they very well could or couldn't there will be a market for him.  Trade him get the assets and move on.  I also dont think cutting him is in the cards IMO unless they decide to go with Shaq Lawson in his role (3 years longer) and his value is right about where Murphy's is.  Now if Shaq leaves because he get a ton of money keep him.

I would NOT move on from Trent Murphy until the summer, if I am going to move on from him there is Nothing stopping me from that cap wise.

Trad or Cut, before or after his bonus there is nothing but cap savings attached to moving him.

10 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I believe it will he edge rusher.

In his press conference he really got a bit more detailed about how there’s not enough elite pass rushers for each team in the league and how important a position it is. 

I think they realize the defense could be do for a slight regression, and that edge is one of the few places they could make a splash that would change that defense around overnight. 

I also believe there’s better money to be spent on the edge position than any in free agency. Ngakoue, Clowney, Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler, hell Jason Pierre-Paul had 8.5 sacks in 10 games. Robert Quinn, Mario Addison... etc etc. 

Oline and Dline imo.  Thats what helps the good teams become great.  I think Dawkins is pretty good, obviously paid morse... Feliciano has been solid for buffalo.  They could use upgrades at LG and RT though.  I know ford will probably improve YoY, but if its a season you want to compete in - you don't leave it up to chance.  

I go after the bigger guard and right tackles available and see if i can get one, or even 2.  Peat/scherff/thuney - or Conklin/Castonzo/bulaga.  Dead cap isn't too bad for Nsekhe if he is brought to camp and cut later.  

As for Dline - i love adding at least another rotational piece.  All depends what they do with their own guys in lawson/philips.  If they are kept, i doubt you would pay someone.  Addison is an interesting one - obviously the carolina connection.  But he's also got flexibility to play a little bit of LB.  Still pretty productive pass rushing, would be nice in the rotation if they kept lawson.  Allows you to either move on from murphy, or upgrade Johnson.  Assuming they need to replace phillips in their rotation behind oliver, what about someone like maliek collins?  Pretty good 3 tech guy.  Or they could just roll the 4 they got in harry, ed, liuget, and star.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DCbillsfan said:

I agree.  He's not great but he's alright.  WR spot gets most of the attention, rightfully so, but DE is a close second as far as need.  Beane won't dump Murphy unless there are 3 defensive ends on the Bills roster who are better than him.  Currently, they have one - Hughes.

true unless they re-sign Lawson (makes Murphy's role redundant).  IMO that is the crutch, they could get three years younger with Lawson (at 8M AAV) and then get that elite rusher as well.  But murphy still doesnt go anywhere unless they need the cap savings until the summer.  And they will not cut him he would be traded if moved off the roster. 

10 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I believe it will he edge rusher.

In his press conference he really got a bit more detailed about how there’s not enough elite pass rushers for each team in the league and how important a position it is. 

I think they realize the defense could be do for a slight regression, and that edge is one of the few places they could make a splash that would change that defense around overnight. 

I also believe there’s better money to be spent on the edge position than any in free agency. Ngakoue, Clowney, Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler, hell Jason Pierre-Paul had 8.5 sacks in 10 games. Robert Quinn, Mario Addison... etc etc. 

I would love to see the Bills go after Ngakoue or Clowney.  But, my interpretation of what Beane said about “not being players in the deep end of the pool like last year” is that he doesn’t intend to make a splashy FA signing.

That disappoints me, I would like to see one each on offense and defense.

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Oline and Dline imo.  Thats what helps the good teams become great.  I think Dawkins is pretty good, obviously paid morse... Feliciano has been solid for buffalo.  They could use upgrades at LG and RT though.  I know ford will probably improve YoY, but if its a season you want to compete in - you don't leave it up to chance.  

I go after the bigger guard and right tackles available and see if i can get one, or even 2.  Peat/scherff/thuney - or Conklin/Castonzo/bulaga.  Dead cap isn't too bad for Nsekhe if he is brought to camp and cut later.  

As for Dline - i love adding at least another rotational piece.  All depends what they do with their own guys in lawson/philips.  If they are kept, i doubt you would pay someone.  Addison is an interesting one - obviously the carolina connection.  But he's also got flexibility to play a little bit of LB.  Still pretty productive pass rushing, would be nice in the rotation if they kept lawson.  Allows you to either move on from murphy, or upgrade Johnson.  Assuming they need to replace phillips in their rotation behind oliver, what about someone like maliek collins?  Pretty good 3 tech guy.  Or they could just roll the 4 they got in harry, ed, liuget, and star.  

They need to sign Liuget correct?  I can’t see McDermott rolling with 4 DLmen.  He loves him his rotation, and you need to account for injuries.

I agree with you that our o-line, while improved from the level of “total failure on all levels”, is not nearly where it needs to be.  Of greatest concern to me are the several plays I’ve seen where Ford and Feliciano literally tripped over each other’s feet causing a blocking-induced play failure.  I can think of at least 3 instances where this bollixed us on key downs - one in Baltimore, one vs Browns, one in Houston.  

Is this on Ford?  On Mongo?  On both?

I think some of our problems against the run that look like they’re on the LB, also originate on the DL.

On the one hand, I’d like to see what continuity will bring us.  On the other, you can’t necessarily improve things by keeping them the same.

Long is a huge drop off from Mongo IMO.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They need to sign Liuget correct?

I agree with you that our o-line, while improved from the level of “total failure on all levels”, is not nearly where it needs to be.  Of greatest concern to me are the several plays I’ve seen where Ford and Feliciano literally tripped over each other’s feet causing a blocking-induced play failure.  I can think of at least 3 instances where this bollixed us on key downs - one in Baltimore, one vs Browns, one in Houston.  

Is this on Ford?  On Mongo?  On both?

Yes - Liuget will be significantly cheaper than phillips.  I liked him though - seemed to make plays.  Big strong butt ?

• Like (+1) 1