No NFL Interest in Roman?

H2o

58 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He has done nothing with RG III. I think you mean Colin Kaepernick. 

What I meant - two comments

1. RGIII fits in well as a sub for LJ.
  2. I saw no issues when RGIII played against the Steelers.   

The term in the industry is Turn Key System.   Drop in place and let it run w/o hiccups 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

So far you have 3 of the HC spots locked up with Washington, Dallas, and Carolina now getting "their guy" to run the show. That leaves Cleveland and NY. I'm surprised Roman hasn't gotten much chatter because of what he has done with Jackson and that Ravens offense this year. I can't really see him going to Cleveland or NY either with the style of offense he runs. This is surprising as I thought he would have at least gotten an interview or two. 

He interviewed with Cleveland 

46 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

He's no bum, but if he's so great why can't he sustain success and keep a job?

He's a smash mouth guy in a passing league. He works well with mobile QBs for a year or two then flames out. Harbaugh had a big hand in SF too don't forget. 

I justthink the league is wise to the fact his offense has a shelf life. I'd be shocked if Baltimore Quinn's the super bowl with that scheme even though it was highly successful during the season.

He had three sustained years of success at SF. His fourth year was a down year for a lot of reasons, mostly a drop in talent (as evidence by the fact the team wouldn't win more than 6 games over the next 4 seasons). Harbaugh left and everyone was dismissed with him.

He then was hired in Buffalo, where he had a successful year in 2015. If you remember correctly, Ryan dismissed him 2 games into the 2016 season. It was clear to everyone at the time that he was not the problem and Ryan basically used him as a scapegoat (particularly since he fired him after the team put up 31 points).

He then was promoted this year as the OC for Baltimore.

So, your insinuation that he can't keep a job because he isn't good enough is a little disingenuous.

I wouldn't bet against the Ravens making the SB. They are having a good year on both sides of the ball and Jackson is producing TDs.

You are right that he doesn't put up a lot of yards in the passing game, but, part of that is the QBs he has had to work with. He is good at sheming receivers open for them based on potent running games. However, his teams are always at the bottom of the league in pass attempts. I highly doubt Jackson comes close again to what he did this year, in terms of TD production and I think the Ravens are a much different team if he is throwing for 20 TDS as opposed to 36 - which is where he would be if his TD% dropped from 8.98 to 5 (a more realistic number and still in the top 10).

The fact is, outside of Alex Smith for just over a year, he has had to work with mobile QBs with flaws in their passing games. That doesn't mean he is not capable of being a good OC with a drop back passer (he was pretty successful with Smith).

Edited by billsfan1959

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Roman just doesn't seem like a CEO Type that you want in charge of a team.  Just because someone is great at being an assistant doesn't make them a great choice for being the manager.

6 minutes ago, london_bills said:

This is how I view daboll. 

Me too, except for the part about being great.?

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He interviewed with Cleveland 

I thought I heard that but was too busy to chase it down 

Ravens Grant Browns' Request to Interview Greg Roman

Dec 30, 2019 - Ravens Grant Browns' Request to Interview Greg Roman. Clifton-Brown ... McDaniels is ready to be a HC again. — ig: josinaanderson ...
5 days ago - This one is with Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman, who is cramming it into his playoff bye week schedule. Roman, 47, has been with the Ravens for three seasons in various offensive and assistant head coaching capacities. He is well-traveled around

The action-packed day concludes with another head coaching interview. This one is with Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman, who is cramming it into his playoff bye week schedule.

Roman, 47, has been with the Ravens for three seasons in various offensive and assistant head coaching capacities. He is well-traveled around the NFL, with several years of coordinator experience in Buffalo and San Francisco. Roman has never been a head coach at any level.

2 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Is he? He's never had an offense post back to back years in the Top 15 in yards.

His offenses have finished as Top 25 in passing yards only once in 2012 with SF.

His offenses have helped post a lot of wins a few times. I realize some prefer yards. 

I love Roman's running game and schemes utilizing multiple tight ends. I'd take him back in a heartbeat. That said I'm not sure I see the right fit in Cleveland. I think gets hired as a HC next year if his offense is successful again. I think people are going to wait a year on him. 

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Roman just doesn't seem like a CEO Type that you want in charge of a team.  Just because someone is great at being an assistant doesn't make them a great choice for being the manager.

Yup, same reason Frazier isn’t getting much interest either

My take is this is a very strange year. I would have thought more head coaches would be fired and we should see that next off season.

Next year at this time something could be going on with Miami, the NY Jets, and even in New England.

The Bengals 2-14 and Browns could be making moves again depending.

The Jags 6-10, maroons time might finally run out.

The Broncos 7-9, Raiders 7-9, Chargers 5-11 might all be changing regimes.

The Cowboys and Giants might be regretting their recent moves.

The Bears 8-8 and Lions 3-12 finally give up on two slugs.

The Panthers 5-11, Falcons 7-9 Bucs 7-9 might all be looking for change depending.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Coaches who continue long into the postseason often do miss out on head coaching opportunities. Teams feel like they have to jump on guys right away and not wait for the postseason to be over.

In fact that's the case with McDermott. He would have gotten more looks the year the Panthers went to the Superbowl.

That’s exactly what I was thinking too. 
The KC guy has an interview or two setup as well. But teams don’t want to wait. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I’m sure there’d be a TON of interest in Roman if he could bring Jackson with him. Don’t get me wrong as I give Roman a ton of credit for the schemes he comes up with for Jackson; stuff the league has simply not seen. But imo, Jackson is literally the only QB that can do what he is doing in that offense. 

To the level that they are doing it..........being by far the league's best offense and obliterating the league rushing record in the process.........agreed Lamar Jackson takes that offense to the top.

But Josh Allen could probably be pretty dynamic in that offense as well.      

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

To the level that they are doing it..........being by far the league's best offense and obliterating the league rushing record in the process.........agreed Lamar Jackson takes that offense to the top.

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree. 

59 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

My take is this is a very strange year. I would have thought more head coaches would be fired and we should see that next off season.

Next year at this time something could be going on with Miami, the NY Jets, and even in New England.

The Panthers 5-11, Falcons 7-9 Bucs 7-9 might all be looking for change depending.

Only way New England changes is if Belichick tells them too. Flores is safe no matter what, excluding death, hookers and blow. Gruden’s contract is for another 8 years at 10 mil per, Davis doesn’t have that kind of money to axe him. McCarthy on a one year prove it deal? Doubtful. Were you just covering all the bases ?

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree. 

We would be playing this weekend with Roman as the OC. 

7 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

NFL teams are wise to the fact Roman has already done this twice in SF and BUF and fizzled out in years 2 and 3. He hasn't proven any semblance of sustainability.

Exactly. Can he draw up the run game like nobody's business? Absolutely. But it's his passing concepts that get him kicked to the curb. Very basic concepts, not hard to defend. 

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Miami is probably doubtful they give up on their coach who exceeded everyone's expectations this year with that mess of a roster.

NE only looks for a new coach if BB steps down/retires

Browns are looking for a HC right now, unless it's another cluster*****, I doubt they make another change so soon instead of trying for some continuity

Raiders gave Gruden a 10 year deal and he is barely 1/4 of the way through it.

Again I doubt the Giants or Cowboys make changes after finding a new HC this offseason

The Panthers signed their new coach to a 7 year deal, doubt they dump him after only 1 year.