Playoff #1 Bills @ Texans PostGame Thread

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

My initial emotional thoughts:

-Ford is not a tackle

-Allen was his usual inconsistent self. That lateral...wtf dude. Still think he has a long way to go before I consider him a franchise QB.
-Why is Gore getting carries? 
-Defense couldn’t bail us out

-I’d be okay with Daboll being fired

Some people on here were saying the Lateral was a good play as it stopped the clock. LOL. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Random thoughts:

1. The staff needs to stop being so damn conservative - on both sides of the ball.  They spent the #7 overall pick on Allen....let the kid play.  IMO, he was in a pretty good rhythm until the play calls got conservative.  Too many sets with Dimarco and Lee Smith.  You can't beat good, playoff caliber teams, when handcuffing your offense and relying on your defense to win games.    I hoped that maybe  McDermott learned something from the NE game a couple of weeks ago, but I guess not.

2. We do need a WR1.  Look, I like Smoke, but he's best suited to be a WR2, and Beasley a WR3.  Smoke seemed to lose sight of his bearings on the field at least twice - once on the last possession of regulation, and once when he didn't try to drag his feet on a deep out near the goal line.

3. The D - just a personal preference, but I don't like the "bend but don't break" style of defense, and the poor tackling is maddening.  I'm not going to blame any unit for the loss, but if you want to be considered elite, you have to show up for the whole game...

4. Speaking of tackling, man, does Poyer simply not like hitting guys or tackling?  It was embarrassing seeing him get carried 5 yards by a QB.  For a staff that preaches fundamentals, I can't believe that the tackling has been poor all year long

5. The refs - brutal,  Just brutal.  I can't remember the last time that a team wasn't called for even ONE 'live action' (i.e an infraction committed after the snap) penalty in an entire game (70+ minutes, in this case).  The "blindside block", non-Delay of Game, curious on-field reversal of the TD on the 2nd half kickoff.  Embarrassing.

6. speaking of embarrassing, the Tessitore/Booger crew.  So sick of hearing about Watt, Watson and Hopkins.

7. Allen scrambled and threw a long ball to Dimarco.  On the replay, it looked like the ball was actually there, but Dimarco badly mistimed his jump - shades of TJ Graham

8. Disappointed in Allen's 2nd half.  He reverted to some poor habits, and his decision making was questionable at best.

9. Thought Duke played well in general, but he came up empty on two 50/50 balls, one of which was a great throw by Allen in the EZ

10.  I should be used to this, as a Bills fan, but this one....it really hurt.  

11.  ETA: if Knox blocks someone on Allen's sweep on 1st down on our last set of downs in OT, we win.   We didn't do the little (or some of the big) things well today.

Edited by Bermuda Triangle
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

There is a lot to be learned about each poster in terms of how they deal with this defeat. 

By all means, expose yourselves, for better or for worse. 

I will always be a moron.

It doesn't take me posting on a message board to confirm it.

?

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm tired. Very tired. I have nothing left to condemn ref calls etc. If the Bills are to ever one day reach the promised land they need to be better than the other teams by enough of a margin that ref calls matter not. They didn't do enough today to make the refs irrelevant. Period. 

See you in September. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

You’re not.

I first started attending single Bills games, beginning in the late 70s. Season Tix in the 2 Strike Years (82 & 87) and back in 1989, for about 20 years! Final tired of paying for year over year idiocy.

So now, I just watch it & gamble on it. I’m here, being amused by you, as I watch the other bad AFC-S team, try and knock off the Cheatriots.

That’s what I & my group do from September - SB.

Then, I head to Florida for a month.

I’m out.

Cool story.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

My initial emotional thoughts:

-Ford is not a tackle

-Allen was his usual inconsistent self. That lateral...wtf dude. Still think he has a long way to go before I consider him a franchise QB.
-Why is Gore getting carries? 
-Defense couldn’t bail us out

-I’d be okay with Daboll being fired

I've been saying Ford is a guard all along. He was recruited out of HS as a guard. He played guard in college until injuries forced a change. He's a guard. He could eventually play tackle but for now he should be a guard. Bills need a better line.

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

There is a lot to be learned about each poster in terms of how they deal with this defeat. 

M any jumped off the band wagon or dumped all on Allen.  Team in victory, team in defeat.  Mistakes were made.  Missed blocks.  Running old man Gore. He had one good run.  Empty back field lets them rip a porous pass defense. Bad tackling.  There are many things to correct in the off season.  I am optimistic about their future.  And to make it clear.  I predicted Houston 24 Bills 17.  Year away from beating these top teams.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Sure. Taking the two sacks was a lack of game awareness that he didn't need to try to get out of the oncoming sacks as they were in FG range. Its the kind of stuff we wanted to see Allen develop from. The deep throw to DiMarco was another sign of allen trying to do too much. The Lateral was another example. They were not all terminal mistakes, they weren't picked, but I believe, at times, there is a history of poor decision making as shown by these moments.. or at least 'gunslinger' decision making at inopportune times.

Certainly Allen will follow up these plays with great plays, which he is trying to make at the times I have highlighted. He played well first half and at times in the game for sure. 

I dont think he is going anywhere and the more I think about it the Oline is a BIG priority. 

All of the things you mention are valid but on the awareness thing with Allen there are times when it's a problem in my opinion. 

I agree, the kid is exciting but still making a ton of dumb plays. The lateral was stupid.  The 2 deep throws to DiMarco ( our worst offensive player) was stupid.  The early fumble when he got bailed out was stupid. This kid has to get smarter and so do our HC/OC combo. Probably the worst 2nd half/or coaching I have seen in a very long time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

You first.☺

I think this was a disappointing defeat. We stood a chance on the road. I never thought THIS was the year we would be a serious challenger, but with some new weapons and a step up from Josh, we can be VERY dangerous next year. 

YOUR turn. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Fun season (really, I had a BLAST this year), bummer loss, I look forward to seeing / sitting with you in the Opener next year! :beer:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Random thoughts:

1. The staff needs to stop being so damn conservative - on both sides of the ball.  They spent the #7 overall pick on Allen....let the kid play.  IMO, he was in a pretty good rhythm until the play calls got conservative.  Too many sets with Dimarco and Lee Smith.  You can't beat good, playoff caliber teams, when handcuffing your offense and relying on your defense to win games.    I hoped that maybe  McDermott learned something from the NE game a couple of weeks ago, but I guess not.

2. We do need a WR1.  Look, I like Smoke, but he's best suited to be a WR2, and Beasley a WR3.  Smoke seemed to lose sight of his bearings on the field at least twice - once on the last possession of regulation, and once when he didn't try to drag his feet on a deep out near the goal line.

3. The D - just a personal preference, but I don't like the "bend but don't break" style of defense, and the poor tackling is maddening.  I'm not going to blame any unit for the loss, but if you want to be considered elite, you have to show up for the whole game...

4. Speaking of tackling, man, does Poyer simply not like hitting guys or tackling?  It was embarrassing seeing him get carried 5 yards by a QB

5. The refs - brutal,  Just brutal.  I can't remember the last time that a team wasn't called for even ONE 'live action' (i.e an infraction committed after the snap) penalty in an entire game (70+ minutes, in this case).  The "blindside block", non-Delay of Game, curious on-field reversal of the TD on the 2nd half kickoff.  Embarrassing.

6. speaking of embarrassing, the Tessitore/Booger crew.  So sick of hearing about Watt, Watson and Hopkins.

7. Allen scrambled and threw a long ball to Dimarco.  On the replay, it looked like the ball was actually there, but Dimarco badly mistimed his jump - shades of TJ Graham

8. Disappointed in Allen's 2nd half.  He reverted to some poor habits, and his decision making was questionable at best.

9. Thought Duke played well in general, but he came up empty on two 50/50 balls, one of which was a great throw by Allen in the EZ

10.  I should be used to this, as a Bills fan, but this one....it really hurt.  

Nothin about how the OL was goin to get Josh killed?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Josh made a lot of great plays and a few dumb ones. He learns from his mistakes so we are headed in the right direction, need to get RT, WRs, backup RB and TE, a Friggin LB that can tackle and another elite CB.

He also almost threw a near six-pick or two, fumbled twice (one lost) and tossed the ball away on one of the most mind-numbing plays I've ever seen.

Edited by par73
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

pretty strange-assed post considering what we all just saw.... but hey if helps you cope, then go for it.

• Like (+1) 2