[Edited title] Duke williams should play

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

I trust this coaching staff, for the most part.  I would love to hear from McD why he hasn't played him.  Perhaps he doesn't know the playbook?  Or is it simply his ST playing? 

The man can and should play.  Do not care if we bench a ST get him on the field.  Play him.

Yup, he is more valuable to the offense than a special teamer is to special teams. Not sure why McD can't see this.

Changing things up out of nowhere for a Playoff game isn’t exactly the most comfortable idea to me, BUT it’s not like our offense is some juggernaut.  

On the flip side, this is an element to the offense the Texans would have only two games of tape on, one without the starters playing. 

Duke has played two full games this year and clearly belongs.  4 catches and a TD against Tennessee and 6 catches 108 yards against the Jets.  

Id be more than ok with Duke active over Roberts and use McKenzie for KR/PR.   McKenzie stays active for his gadget ability and Foster is apparently a Special Teams Ace, so, that’s the move.  

Remember when people said duke wasn't starting because he's slow and doesnt get seperation, but then he has a hundred yards recieving with a backup qb? Ya, start the man. I think he's earned it 

3 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Yup, he is more valuable to the offense than a special teamer is to special teams. Not sure why McD can't see this.

What's funny/ironic is that McDermott said in his presser yesterday how popular he is with the fans. So he definitely knows we all want him in there(not that fan opinion matters). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Coach doesn't like him because he's a hotdog. 

Compared to his competition at the #3 WR spot he’s filet mignon, its just  “inconceivable” that he has been inactive for the majority of the season, the decision to designate him in that fashion has cost us games this past regular season, and will again in the post season. 

10-6 baby!

Playoffs!!

Go Bills!!!

I just listened to the interview of Brady & Bellichek on the top 100 & Brady said in the interview that one of Bellicheks sayings during their elite run was that from the beginning Bellichek "Didn't care where you were drafted, if you were drafted, but you are here now & if you make plays on the field & help the team to win you will be on the field" .

Well Duke has proven that every time he's on the field that if you throw hime the ball he will make a difference & most every time he's called on alls he does is help this team to make those plays when he's called on !

That being said McD didn't sound very enthusiastic about Duke in his post game pressor. Duke has already surpassed Foster, McKenzie, & others that have multiple weeks on the active roster & should be on the field when this team goes into the wild card game if he isn't in some fashion i will lose a little bit for McD not seeing what 's right in front of him !

Duke & Sweeney should be on the field & Smith & Foster should be inactive just due to their production or lack there of ...

And i will go on record to say now that if McD doesn't see it next year when Duke has a chance to resign with the Bills he won't do it because there will be others (Namely the Pats or Saints) that will be more exited to put Duke on the field & he will be gone because of his lack of use then burning the Bills in 2 games next year like some of the past Bills players have done going there . 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I have been saying Duke should be active all season, and ya know what, I have been right all season.  He out performs his competition at WR hands down every time he is on the field and used. Coach has been wrong on this all season.

Maybe you weren't right all season.

Maybe they gave him a try in 3 games and then benched him because he wasn't doing stuff he was supposed to do - running routes the right way, missing blocking assignments etc.

Maybe he's improved since then, especially going up against Tre' Day every day in practice.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe you weren't right all season.

Maybe they gave him a try in 3 games and then benched him because he wasn't doing stuff he was supposed to do - running routes the right way, missing blocking assignments etc.

Maybe he's improved since then, especially going up against Tre' Day every day in practice.

I here ya, but that does not seem to be the accurate,  Coach has shown himself to be a bit stubborn concerning player preference, we have all seen that to be the case, that and Williams has proved my point every time coach has used him, his stats say he gets the job done better than any other #3 WR on the team,  Just sayin , he has out performed his competition at the #3 spot, Hell he has played in only four games, and has more yards and points than his competition, likely combined this season, ( could be off by a small amount) ?  just think if Williams was active with Brown and Beasley all season, we would likely have won a game or two more, and won the others more comfortably, yeah, yeah, jmo, ??

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I here ya, but that does not seem to be the accurate,  Coach has shown himself to be a bit stubborn concerning player preference, we have all seen that to be the case

Explain, please.  Because I don't see that.  I think Daboll is painfully slow to make in-game adjustments, but "player preference"?  Seriously?

that and Williams has proved my point every time coach has used him, his stats say he gets the job done better than any other #3 WR on the team,  Just sayin

Where and what stats say this, aside from yesterday's glorified exhibition?  Williams was active in 3 previous games - Tennessee, Miami, and Eagles (McKensie inactive)

image.thumb.png.50f9fc68a932624902bdc58776d22ebd.png[click to embiggen]

He did very well vs Tenn, then with film on him Miami covered him and Philly covered him.  His ST snaps fell from 24% to 25% to 0% which says to me they weren't happy with his contribution there. 

I don't want to paste it in because it's a postage stamp, but here, look at McKensie.   With our top two WR in the game, starting from the Washington game on when we started to use him in the route tree, he has been very consistently getting 3-6 targets per game and catching most of them.  There's a reason when we settled in on running a base 11 set, McKensie and not Duke was #3, and only part of that is McKensie's ability to run the "gadgets".

I think it's hard to retrospectively make the argument for that thing you say.  He had a very very good game yesterday without our #1's in the game and with the #1 and #2 coverage probably on McKensie and Foster.

There is a promising point that Duke may be able to out-muscle or out-jump a DB for some catches that get defensed on our other WR, but that's not yet proven in games.   There is also a promising point that he was able to do so much against what should have been the Jets #1 D, but bear in mind that the Jets have kind of a mediocre pass D after Adams.

What I think is that we're all desperate for a better offense to match up with our Kick-ass Defense.  We all (rightly) see "big, sure-handed guy who can go up for a ball like DeVante Parker and out muscle a DB to make those contested catches" as a need.

But you simply can't look at what Williams did yesterday with the 3 top targets INACTIVE and project that to his production in regular games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Explain, please.  Because I don't see that.  I think Daboll is painfully slow to make in-game adjustments, but "player preference"?  Seriously?

Where and what stats say this, aside from yesterday's glorified exhibition?  Williams was active in 3 previous games - Tennessee, Miami, and Eagles (McKensie inactive)

image.thumb.png.50f9fc68a932624902bdc58776d22ebd.png[click to embiggen]

He did very well vs Tenn, then with film on him Miami covered him and Philly covered him.  His ST snaps fell from 24% to 25% to 0% which says to me they weren't happy with his contribution there. 

I don't want to paste it in because it's a postage stamp, but here, look at McKensie.   With our top two WR in the game, starting from the Washington game on when we started to use him in the route tree, he has been very consistently getting 3-6 targets per game and catching most of them.  There's a reason when we settled in on running a base 11 set, McKensie and not Duke was #3, and only part of that is McKensie's ability to run the "gadgets".

I think it's hard to retrospectively make the argument for that thing you say.  He had a very very good game yesterday without our #1's in the game and with the #1 and #2 coverage probably on McKensie and Foster.

There is a promising point that Duke may be able to out-muscle or out-jump a DB for some catches that get defensed on our other WR, but that's not yet proven in games.   There is also a promising point that he was able to do so much against what should have been the Jets #1 D, but bear in mind that the Jets have kind of a mediocre pass D after Adams.

What I think is that we're all desperate for a better offense to match up with our Kick-ass Defense.  We all (rightly) see "big, sure-handed guy who can go up for a ball like DeVante Parker and out muscle a DB to make those contested catches" as a need.

But you simply can't look at what Williams did yesterday with the 3 top targets INACTIVE and project that to his production in regular games.

I’m not looking at just one game, and that’s kinda my point, with Williams on the field with Brown and Beasley, they would compliment each other better than with Mckenzie, it is a more threatening line up, use McKenzie for the short pass run plays, he is good on those, but he is a lesser receiver, he isn’t going to out physical any dB after a catch or for a catch for that matter.  I guess I’m sayin we are not using our current players to our best advantage, Sean and/or Brian are missing the boat on this, and its frustrating as hell to watch them not use what we have more effectively. 

I don’t think we are particularly far apart in our overall view of this. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, valle78787878 said:

no hes not playing because he can;t catch the football 

I am new to the start Duke squad but how can you roll Robert Foster out at WR with 3 catches on 18 targets, FOR THE YEAR?   How can any defense take him seriously.   I know he plays an integral role on special teams but to compete with the top 6 teams in the AFC we are going to need more from that #2 WR position.   

Isn't that worth the risk on Duke's hands? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sundancer said:

You are comparing apples to cranberries. Duke would probably need to beat someone else out. Foster is a big part of ST. 

The question for McDermott and the staff should go as follows:

1.  Foster's role on STs needs to be rated.  Example:  IF Foster went down with an injury who replaces him?

What is the "perceived" drop off in performance?

2.  Duke Williams role vs Foster's role as a WR needs to be rated.  How much of a difference could Duke make?

3.  IF an injury happens during a game to a starting top 3 WR who would perform better, Duke or Foster?

Personally I have stated I do not get the Duke "hype" or "hate" but I will admit that Duke Williams has played well enough

when asked to merit considerable consideration in being activated for the Texans game.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/12/does-bills-duke-williams-big-game-vs-jets-warrant-playoff-playing-time-sean-mcdermott-weighs-in.html

Bills coach Sean McDermott is aware that Williams has become a fan favorite and Bills Mafia has been screaming for the 26-year-old rookie receiver to get some run on game days.

Asked if Williams’ performance against the Jets could earn him a spot on Buffalo’s active playoff roster against the Houston Texans next week, McDermott didn’t rule it out.

“Absolutely,” McDermott said when asked if Williams’ play merits consideration for playoff playing time. “We had a good week of practice and we got some good work in there with some guys working against each other. So it gave us an opportunity to evaluate and watch how guys handled the week and then how they handled today. It’s all about growing as a football team - who can help us the most.”

There is more in the article.

• Thank you (+1) 1

To me it comes down to who do you trust to run block more and who do you trust to step in as a wr in two wr sets should one of the two main guys get dinged.  Foster has been MIA all year long and McKenzie is great on the jet sweep stuff but he's not someone I want blocking on the edge or ask to handle 8 or 10 targets if need be .  Basically were going in with two and 1/2 wrs for each game  Honestly I wish Mckenzie would be trust worthy in the return game and we'd be fine without dressing Roberts and I'm sure there is another speedy Bill that can be a gunner to replace Foster

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

In much the same way McKenzie looked like a 12-year old when he lined up at CB.    That was a hoot...

At one point he looked like a 5th grader mixing it up with his older brother’s friend from high school. I wanted to yell “HEY! Pick on someone your own size!”

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I here ya, but that does not seem to be the accurate,  Coach has shown himself to be a bit stubborn concerning player preference, we have all seen that to be the case, that and Williams has proved my point every time coach has used him, his stats say he gets the job done better than any other #3 WR on the team,  Just sayin , he has out performed his competition at the #3 spot, Hell he has played in only four games, and has more yards and points than his competition, likely combined this season, ( could be off by a small amount) ?  just think if Williams was active with Brown and Beasley all season, we would likely have won a game or two more, and won the others more comfortably, yeah, yeah, jmo, ??

Go Bills!!!

Any coach that takes 2 entire years to release players like Peterman & Jones is not exactly a ringing endorsement on his evaluation skills. And stop with the ST and "Duke was doing the right things in practice" nonsense. Belichick wouldn't tolerate guys like Foster, Roberts, McKenzie underperforming. Keep benching Duke and you'll get what you deserve. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Any coach that takes 2 entire years to release players like Peterman & Jones is not exactly a ringing endorsement on his evaluation skills. And stop with the ST and "Duke was doing the right things in practice" nonsense. Belichick wouldn't tolerate guys like Foster, Roberts, McKenzie underperforming. Keep benching Duke and you'll get what you deserve. 

You talkin ta me?  ?

13 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Foster is a starter. He makes 2 or 3 great plays a week on ST. That is why he's on the roster. Duke would need to beat out another player. 

Can you give a link to his ST stats that show this? 

All I can find is his defensive stats which I'm probably incorrectly assuming are included as his ST stats. 

If I am correct though, he's accounted for 5 tackles in 143 ST snaps. 

Honestly curious if there are other stats I'm missing. 

Edited by The Wiz