Aaron Donald Rumored to Be on Trade Block...Should The Bills Make a Move?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-to-reportedly-shake-up-coaching-staff-roster-following-non-playoff-season/

I’m not one to say that the Bills should trade for the player who was released or rumored to be traded.  But this one makes a ton of sense.

Interesting article from CBS.  Good old Michael Silver is speculating that the Rams could be making changes both with coaches and players.  

He mentions that Aaron Donald would be candidate for a trade given the hellish cap situation.  

While he hasn't suffered a dip in production, Donald -- who leads the Rams with 12.5 sacks this season -- would likely fetch at least a first round pick in a trade. Los Angeles does not currently have a first round pick in the next two drafts after trading them to the Jaguars in exchange for Jalen Ramsey earlier this season.

While trading the 28-year-old Donald would appear unlikely, it would help the Rams add other pieces as they look to contend next season in arguably the NFL's toughest division. 

"I don't know exactly what's going to happen," a Rams' veteran player told Silver, "but I'd expect some major changes around here in the next few months."

The reality of this is that Unfortunately it seems like old man Silver is speculating big time.  He basically said everyone on the Rams is up on the chopping block, which likely isn’t the case.  He then says they could move on from Donald and then says, “it’s unlikely” Classic misleading click bait.

But let’s say it’s true. I think Donald would be the perfect addition to the defense.  He’s been playing in Wade’s 3-4 the past few seasons and doing awesome but his best years came in a 4-3 where he amassed 28 sacks over two years.

If you are Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott, I think this is a dream scenario and a no-brainer. 

You trade a 1st and whatever else to get Donald to Buffalo and take on that giant contract.  

So what do everyone else think?

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dude has an annual cap hit of $25M/season. At a position of depth and strength for us. Lol, no.

Is DL a position of depth and strength though?  The Bills will get Harrison Phillips back,  but are looking at the possibility of Jordan Phillips leaving.  They’ll also be able to get out of Star’s deal in 2020 or 2021.

The cap hit is big but then again, we have space this year and next, and you’re getting an All-Pro who would help solidify your D. 

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

At least a first round pick?  More like 3 first round picks...dude is an absolute wrecker in the middle of the line

Although this is true. IF they are looking to trade him, it is because of his massive salary which means his value will go down. A lot of teams don't want to carry that much cap on a DL and it would be a great negotiating tool for other GM's. 

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-to-reportedly-shake-up-coaching-staff-roster-following-non-playoff-season/

I’m not one to say that the Bills should trade for the player who was released or rumored to be traded.  But this one makes a ton of sense.

Interesting article from CBS.  Good old Michael Silver is speculating that the Rams could be making changes both with coaches and players.  

He mentions that Aaron Donald would be candidate for a trade given the hellish cap situation.  

While he hasn't suffered a dip in production, Donald -- who leads the Rams with 12.5 sacks this season -- would likely fetch at least a first round pick in a trade. Los Angeles does not currently have a first round pick in the next two drafts after trading them to the Jaguars in exchange for Jalen Ramsey earlier this season.

While trading the 28-year-old Donald would appear unlikely, it would help the Rams add other pieces as they look to contend next season in arguably the NFL's toughest division. 

"I don't know exactly what's going to happen," a Rams' veteran player told Silver, "but I'd expect some major changes around here in the next few months."

The reality of this is that Unfortunately it seems like old man Silver is speculating big time.  He basically said everyone on the Rams is up on the chopping block, which likely isn’t the case.  He then says they could move on from Donald and then says, “it’s unlikely” Classic misleading click bait.

But let’s say it’s true. I think Donald would be the perfect addition to the defense.  He’s been playing in Wade’s 3-4 the past few seasons and doing awesome but his best years came in a 4-3 where he amassed 28 sacks over two years.

If you are Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott, I think this is a dream scenario and a no-brainer. 

You trade a 1st and whatever else to get Donald to Buffalo and take on that giant contract.  

So what do everyone else think?

Well I could do that if Star is Released  after trade this is what his cap hits would look like for us

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

2020 - 17M

2021 - 19.82M

2022 - 14.2M (including 5M Roster Bonus

2023 - 19M (including  5M Roster Bonus)

2024 21.75M (including the 5M Roster Bonus)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well I could do that if Star is Released  after trade this is what his cap hits would look like for us

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

2020 - 17M

2021 - 19.82M

2022 - 14.2M (including 5M Roster Bonus

2023 - 19M (including  5M Roster Bonus)

2024 21.75M (including the 5M Roster Bonus)

I'd take that all day long. Do it. Rams have created an absolute cap disaster with their "go for it all right now" mentality where their draft cupboard is essentially bare for several years in a row and they won't be able to pay all their players and some of the players who they already paid like Goff is playing well below what they expected they would be getting from him and they are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

Edited by matter2003

Haven't we learned that it is a mistake to trade two first round picks (which is what LA would want) for a defensive player, no matter how good?  Any any rate, we need our picks to help our offense.  We already have a top 3 or 4 defense (despite that display on Saturday).  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

I'd take that all day long. Do it.

Yep  Likely costs Star and Phillips but I would definitely take this.

Likely Compensation (1st and 3rd) contract lowers the value

Darnold

Oliver

Harrison

Edited by MAJBobby

That contract is scary, realistically Donald, who turns 29 in May, MAYBE has 3 elite years left of football in him.  

Those final 2yrs we’re going to be paying a boatload of money for a player that is old and with his size needs the high motor of a young player to be successful. 

i dont know if i would do it. Id rather draft a player in the 1st rd. pay White a boatload. Keep Poyer and Hyde. Pay Allen a boatload. Reward Jordan Phillips for his success here. And use $$$ to try and get several key free agents at DE and/or WR that may be high-priced. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

That contract is scary, realistically Donald, who turns 29 in May, MAYBE has 3 elite years left of football in him.  

Those final 2yrs we’re going to be paying a boatload of money for a player that is old and with his size needs the high motor of a young player to be successful. 

i dont know if i would do it. Id rather draft a player in the 1st rd. pay White a boatload. Keep Poyer and Hyde. Pay Allen a boatload. Reward Jordan Phillips for his success here. And use $$$ to try and get several key free agents at DE and/or WR that may be high-priced. 

His contract would be easier to get out of it we traded for him as I believe the signing bonus portion stays with the trading team

8 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Right but remember, at some point the Bills - probably next season the Bills “window” is going to be open.  How many years do you have then - maybe 2 before you have to pay the QB.  

This move would be a risk, but one you are going to have to take.

This scenarios is really interesting because there are good arguments on either side 

Edited by Phil The Thrill

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Wait, there are really people that don't want the best defensive player in football?

who doesnt want the best defensive player in football? But in a salary cap league you cant have it all.

We have a top 5 defense already. Id rather use that cap space (not to mention the draft picks) to improve the offense. Lets also not forget we’re going to have to shell out quite a bit of money to keep our own young talent. I would hate for us to have to lose our own great talented players who are up for FA at 27 bc we’re still paying a 32yr old DT 20Mil/yr

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

What about him? I would want him too if it was rumored he was available. I wanted him last time he was

It appears that he has made a huge difference in the Bears defense.  It’s the offense and the QB that’s holding them back....hoping that’s not the case in Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1

who doesnt want the best defensive player in football? But in a salary cap league you cant have it all.

We have a top 5 defense already. Id rather use that cap space (not to mention the draft picks) to improve the offense. Lets also not forget we’re going to have to shell out quite a bit of money to keep our own young talent. I would hate for us to have to lose our own great talented players who are up for FA at 27 bc we’re still paying a 32yr old DT 20Mil/yr

We can afford it while we have a qb on his rookie deal, we can cut him at 32 or restructure later if needed. 

• Like (+1) 2

You've got the cap room to trade for Donald and go get a WR1 this offseason. Plus the Rams will eat Donald's entire SB, so that helps.

I just think you've got your QB on a cheap deal through the end of the 2021 season. Time to go for it IMO.

• Like (+1) 5

Right but remember, at some point the Bills - probably next season the Bills “window” is going to be open.  How many years do you have then - maybe 2 before you have to pay the QB.  

This move would be a risk, but one you are going to have to take.

thats why you focus on improving the offense during this window. The defense is already great. We need to score a heck of a lot more than we’re doing. Elite OL cost money. Id rather trade draft picks for an elite WR that may become available (who knows)...just throwing it out there. 

if our defense sucked, or was just average, id be much more in favor of investing money AND draft picks (lets not dismiss how costly thatll be) on a single defensive player. 

• Like (+1) 1

It appears that he has made a huge difference in the Bears defense.  It’s the offense and the QB that’s holding them back....hoping that’s not the case in Buffalo

Errrrrrr, last I checked, the Bills are 10-5 and clinched a playoff spot. The Bears are eliminated.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

The Bills have the cap space to absorb a deal like this for a few seasons.  You are right , you can’t have it all but I think bringing a Donald on board would mean:

- Losing Phillips, Lawson and maybe Star

- Possibly losing Trent Murphy and maybe even Jerry Hughes

I would be ok with these moves, and many of them might happen this offseason anyway 

Just now, thebandit27 said:

You've got the cap room to trade for Donald and go get a WR1 this offseason. Plus the Rams will eat Donald's entire SB, so that helps.

I just think you've got your QB on a cheap deal through the end of the 2021 season. Time to go for it IMO.

Id be psyched, not gonna lie. Its scary to invest so much on a single player - its not just money we’re investing. He would cost us 3 players worth of draft picks and a crapload of money. He pulls a hammy week 3 and the proverbial poop hits the fan

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Right, that’s my point.  This is an “All In” move for a championship 

1 minute ago, brianthomas said:

If we weren't already committed to Star than yeah I'd say go for it. But given that we are & given how much we rotate our DT's i just don't see this as something we'd do. No matter how much i might salivate at the thought of it.

We can get out of the Star deal this offseason with $7M cap hit.  Not great but not the worst either.  The next year it goes down to $5M