Christmas music, classics or newer?

Just Jack

Classic or new?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of Christmas music do you prefer?

• Classics are called classics for a reason!
    • Get with the new stuff boomer!

The only Christmas album you'll ever need

14 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Where's the 'none' option?

humbug

NSFW (or much of anywhere else either)

Wasn't the Christmas season until you've seen Valby at the Penny Arcade in Rochester

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, Just Jack said:

Which do you prefer? The classics sung by the likes of Bing Crosby? Or newer stuff like Wham!’s Last Christmas? 

It really depends upon the song.

As long as they forever banish that McCartney song (and the Lennon one, too for that matter), I'm happy.

Finger waving moment: why does Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time incite such vitriol? It's a happy holiday song, sung by an icon, aimed at an audience that still believes in Santa Claus. What kid doesn't like that song? 

A holiday favorite of mine crushed by the HS band a few years ago. 

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Finger waving moment: why does Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time incite such vitriol? It's a happy holiday song, sung by an icon, aimed at an audience that still believes in Santa Claus. What kid doesn't like that song? 

A holiday favorite of mine crushed by the HS band a few years ago. 

because it adds to the downside of his fluff and sappy stuff, you aren’t being introduced to this concept here, right?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

because it adds to the downside of his fluff and sappy stuff, you aren’t being introduced to this concept here, right?

It's a Christmas song. Christmas songs are fluffy and sappy. I'm cool with that. 

It does not add to his downside unless you were already there. 

IMO... The best ones are winter/seasonal related.  Not necessarily dedicated solely to the Holidays:

(I believe a G.Lightfoot cover???)

(I believe a Joni Mitchell written song)  

CC:

Special shout out to my special pals@Cripple Creek & @BringBackFergy .. Hey that sure looks like a canal, lock they are skating on... Must be the Rideau in Ottawa, Ontario... Right??? Quite a cool "skateway") ?  Canals & locks are so cool for many things!?

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

IMO... The best ones are winter/seasonal related.  Not necessarily dedicated solely to the Holidays:

(I believe a G.Lightfoot cover???)

(I believe a Joni Mitchell written song)  

CC:

Special shout out to my special pals@Cripple Creek & @BringBackFergy .. Hey that sure looks like a canal, lock they are skating on... Must be the Rideau in Ottawa, Ontario... Right??? Quite a cool "skateway") ?  Canals & locks are so cool for many things!?

When I was a wee lad at Iroquois Middle School, we watched a movie called “Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates” (or something like that). Was a great movie. But it was set in Holland or Sweden (i.e. where the government doesn’t interfere with the natural beauty of inland waterways). As such, I can only hope that someday my great grandkids will be able to enjoy our rivers, canals and interstate waterways in the same fashion without interference from concrete walls and cozy huts housing gubment workers who sip cocoa and warm their socks on 80 degree propane heaters while barking out orders to civies. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

When I was a wee lad at Iroquois Middle School, we watched a movie called “Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates” (or something like that). Was a great movie. But it was set in Holland or Sweden (i.e. where the government doesn’t interfere with the natural beauty of inland waterways). As such, I can only hope that someday my great grandkids will be able to enjoy our rivers, canals and interstate waterways in the same fashion without interference from concrete walls and cozy huts housing gubment workers who sip cocoa and warm their socks on 80 degree propane heaters while barking out orders to civies. 

I already fired my peace round with the Bing & Bowie collaboration... So I will just leave you with this:

?

Oh... But they (the government) do interfere in Scandinavia with concrete walls and huts:

c433eac63b66ccea8159f312610ed443-800.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I already fired my peace round with the Bing & Bowie collaboration... So I will just leave you with this:

?

I don’t need some pseudo-70’s disco tune claiming global awareness (while generating big corporate revenue) to tell me our canals and rivers should remain natural (untouched). Perhaps you G7’s and G6’s should take that into consideration before pouring concrete walls, towers and BBQ pits all along our once pristine shorelines. 

?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, row_33 said:

thumbs up

thumbs down

so i can reject boomer tunes, says about as much about the two and their outlooks on things.... :D

I like Paul better than John.................But, when I had just thought about it a few weeks ago.  John may have the best Christmas song - and Paul the worst! 

32 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I don’t need some pseudo-70’s disco tune claiming global awareness (while generating big corporate revenue) to tell me our canals and rivers should remain natural (untouched). Perhaps you G7’s and G6’s should take that into consideration before pouring concrete walls, towers and BBQ pits all along our once pristine shorelines. 

?

You conveniently overlooked my TROLLhättan (Sweden) pic. Figures.

Here's a classic... You're a mean one Mr.Ferguson:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bbb said:

I like Paul better than John.................But, when I had just thought about it a few weeks ago.  John may have the best Christmas song - and Paul the worst! 

and on the second Christmas season playing the worst song, John was murdered and Paul’s only public comment was a sneer that John’s death was “a drag” and both songs were played endlessly back to back.

Didn’t weigh well for this 14 year old Beatles fan at the time

• Like (+1) 2

and as the years have piled on and Macca has spoken more eloquently and emotionally on John's death, and realizing his time in a Japanese prison would have weighed on him, and probably other "unsocial" means of coping with stresses at that time, and he collaborated with John to produce (to me) the greatest catalogue in pop/rock history... gave us a few gems himself in that bunch....

nah... it's still the worst hack of a song...

(from the first verse I always assumed it was a cheap make-out song)

6 hours ago, BritBill said:

1. I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg lake

2. Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End) - The Darkness

3. Lonely This Christmas - Mudd

The only three you need this and every festive season. 

It's the happiest time of the year. 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, Gugny said:

I voted classics, but there are plenty of modern Christmas tunes that I love.

"Please Come Home For Christmas" - I prefer the Eagles version, but I also really like Bon Jovi's rendition.

You need to atone for bringing that name on this board.

"All I Want for Christmas Is You" - Mariah Carey - always one of my favorite Christmas tunes.

This is a very catchy guilty pleasure.

"Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" - Easily one of faves.

I find this song to be boring. Also condescending....."So this is Christmas, and what have you done?" What have I done? None of your damn business!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/16/2019 at 3:19 PM, Nextmanup said:

Answer ? Neither.

Can't stand traditional schlocky Christmas music sung by Perry Como and the like.  "I'm dreaming of a white christmas" or "home for the holidays" and all that stuff.

I much prefer classical, traditional Christmas music.

Bach's Weihnachtsoratorium is a great place to start for those who want to broaden their horizons.  

Let me recommend Pandora's "Stille Nacht" station then...always good for what speaks to the soul this time of year. 

On 12/24/2019 at 10:46 AM, SinceThe70s said:

That dude was recently spotted in - where else - Florida:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/24/florida-man-busted-for-handing-out-pot-because-it-was-christmas/

It wasn't me. I swear! Though I have been passing out some delicious THC laden baked goods. All above board, full disclosure,  to fellow medical marijuana patients.

Here's a "modern" Christmas tune I'd completely forgotten about:

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, rockpile said:

Punk is Best! :death:

White Christmas by The Stiff Little Fingers

By the way, to any who like Father Christmas by the Kinks, it is a song deriding Christmas presents and a protest against poverty, unions, corporations, etc. ! 

I love Joey Ramone's version of Christmas  (Baby Please Come Home)

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

It wasn't me. I swear! Though I have been passing out some delicious THC laden baked goods. All above board, full disclosure,  to fellow medical marijuana patients.

Here's a "modern" Christmas tune I'd completely forgotten about:

In order:

LOL, wish I was on your Xmas list.

What a great Xmas song, never heard it, thanks.

Hope you and yours had (or are still having) a merry!