NFL: tripping penalties from Pats-Cowboys should not have been called

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I bet there are no more than a dozen called during an entire NFL season.

You are correct.  There have been 7 called this year so far. Last year there were 9, year before that 10 and the year before that 4.

A very, very small number get called each year...2 in the same game seems very suspect.

As always Offensive Holding is far and away the leader in called penalties, followed by false starts

• Like (+1) 1

I have said it for years, it is not so much they call more penalties on NE's opponents it when they call the penalties.  They call penalties that benefit NE in crucial times.  KC neutral last year, this tripping call this year.  For the life of me I don't understand the bias either.  You would think the NFL wants to get new teams in the Super Bowl.   It is mind boggling.

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You are correct.  There have been 7 called this year so far. Last year there were 9, year before that 10 and the year before that 4.

A very, very small number get called each year...2 in the same game seems very suspect.

As always Offensive Holding is far and away the leader in called penalties, followed by false starts

Weren’t both called on the same player in the NE game, an all-pro center?

It's time to bring the NFL and it's corruption to light. 

Expose the league for not being about competition and the better team winning. 

If enough people pick up on it and it draws enough attention, the NFL would be forced to change or become irrelevant. 

Also another reason why I scoff at the Brady is GOAT and the Patriots are the greatest dynasty. I'll never accept those things with all the scandal and cheating involved.

Belichek is another story

28 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

Bills will face a Dallas slanted playing field on Thursday, beyond being on home field.  You better believe that there's going to be some "sway" given by the Refs to Dallas on Thanksgiving to "make up for it".  Bank on it.

This is what I'm thinking as well. 

39 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

Bills will face a Dallas slanted playing field on Thursday, beyond being on home field.  You better believe that there's going to be some "sway" given by the Refs to Dallas on Thanksgiving to "make up for it".  Bank on it.

That was always going to be the case.  I’m now prepared for some next-level fuquery.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Then why were they called?  Any explanation for a referee twice throwing a flag for non-existent penalties?

While I don't know if this is the case from Sunday, it's often been reported that coaches approach the refs and tell them to be sure to look for (fill in the blank) because (fill in the blank) does it a lot and never gets called.  It's not difficult to imagine Bellicheck* nudging them to look for tripping.

Of course, it's also not difficult to imagine the league needed the Pats* to win.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I bet there are no more than a dozen called during an entire NFL season.

I read this week they average less than one a week in most seasons and only 7 prior to this weekend- because it simply does not happen often.

46 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I have said it for years, it is not so much they call more penalties on NE's opponents it when they call the penalties.  They call penalties that benefit NE in crucial times.  KC neutral last year, this tripping call this year.  For the life of me I don't understand the bias either.  You would think the NFL wants to get new teams in the Super Bowl.   It is mind boggling.

Everyone likes to see the Evil Empire get smashed on prime time- David vs Goliath only happens if Goliath is good 

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Through no fault of their own (aside from committing / not committing the penalty), the New England Patriots are being besmirched in this thread.  The league therefore awards the New England Patriots a compensatory draft pick.

(If I drop dead, someone else is going to have to start awarding these...)

I’d like to hear it from @Roger Goodell directly, if it’s alright with you.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Refs do the crap every game I watch for the Pats.

They will call some penalties against the Pats early in the game. Late in the game at crucial times calls go against the Pats opponent. When you look at the penalties at the end of the game it looks even or maybe worse for the Pats. Such B.S.

OR, if the game is out of hand in the 4th quarter, they’ll call a few against the Pats to (on paper) “even it up”

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

While I don't know if this is the case from Sunday, it's often been reported that coaches approach the refs and tell them to be sure to look for (fill in the blank) because (fill in the blank) does it a lot and never gets called.  It's not difficult to imagine Bellicheck* nudging them to look for tripping.

Of course, it's also not difficult to imagine the league needed the Pats* to win.

You took the words out of my mouth. 

It's nearly certain that Belichick has noticed the Cowboys OL knack for moving their legs to trip the rushers.   And who did Cowboys play the week before that would also tip Bill on the OL's tendencies.

PS - Sure enough, watching Dallas OL against Detroit, there's at least one attempted trip in pass protection.

BTW, whoever is going to be rushing from the right side will have their hands full with Tyron Smith.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

But, but in the heat of the moment the Refs had a legitimate worry that the Patriots may lose. They got to do what they got to do.

The blatant catering to Kraft and his puke of a coach is beyond belief. Great coach maybe, but a disgusting pile of #$&+ as a human being. After all these years the NFL resembles professional wresting more than ever. Officiating has simply been brutal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GG said:

You took the words out of my mouth. 

It's nearly certain that Belichick has noticed the Cowboys OL knack for moving their legs to trip the rushers.   And who did Cowboys play the week before that would also tip Bill on the OL's tendencies.

PS - Sure enough, watching Dallas OL against Detroit, there's at least one attempted trip in pass protection.

BTW, whoever is going to be rushing from the right side will have their hands full with Tyron Smith.

Excellent comment; thanks. Makes a ton of sense. Jerry Hughes is used to the uncalled holding that'll undoubtedly happen on Thursday, of course.

Edited by dave mcbride

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What does this matter at this point? We all know this and it doesn’t change the outcome. Just rubs salt in the wound for cowboy fans (which I’m fine with) and cheats haters (like me). 

And Brady has the audacity to cry about there still being a second left on the clock and getting jobbed by the refs. 

HATE. ?THAT. ?TEAM. ?