Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lol. It is starting to seem like every week the all 22 review by Joe B vindicates the current TBD whipping boy. ?

Yup.

Which should probably indicate to people that finding a current whipping boy and piling on .... maybe it's just not the smart thing. Maybe we should avoid grabbing a pitchfork and a torch and joining the stampede to the castle.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, just kidding. Why choose low-key analysis and a wait till the evidence is in mentality over the where can we find a scapegoat urge? Waving the pitchforks is way too much fun.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Yet another example of why Joe B. (J Bus Bus...or whatever moniker he came up with during his WGR days) knows absolutely NOTHING about football. His insights are generic and, more often, copied. Not this one though...this is a whole new level of geeky incompetence. Most of his “material” (especially draft “guru” material) is stolen. Here’s Joe B’s unedited version: “Star played good. He’s a cool player. He was there. He should be good next week. We lost the game. Don’t forget to watch for my draft preview next week.”  

that's the spirit, Joe B's work just does not match our narrative .... "get him out of here!"

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He was the best at getting shoved back.

guess they forgot to review Jordan, who actually made some plays.

Yeah, not so much.

"When Lotulelei wasn’t in the game, the Bills allowed 5.09 yards per carry to Eagles running backs. With Lotulelei in the game, if you take out the 65-yard run by the Eagles that wasn’t primarily his fault, the Bills were allowing just 3.15 yards per carry. And, if the Bills linebackers do their job differently on the second level, Sanders likely runs for just a 6-yard gain, which would bring the average to 3.29 yards per carry.

"Lotulelei even helped create a sack for Shaq Lawson early in the first half, and then later took on the double team to enable Jordan Phillips to get a sack. I focused all of my video efforts on Lotulelei to drive home the point: He wasn’t the problem on Sunday; he was a strength."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I focused all of my video efforts on Lotulelei to drive home the point: He wasn’t the problem on Sunday; he was a strength."

Talking about fitting reality into a preconceived narrative.... He could be right, but I prefer analysts who let the evidence shape the conclusions, not the other way around. 

24 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

We are in salary cap hell? When did this happen?

Has to be sarcasm 

2 hours ago, finn said:

Talking about fitting reality into a preconceived narrative.... He could be right, but I prefer analysts who let the evidence shape the conclusions, not the other way around. 

Did you read it? His preconceived narrative was actually that he wasn’t good 

I’ll be the first one to admit it. After watching the Eagles break off some significant gains in the ground game — including the 65-yard Miles Sanders touchdown run — my inclination was that one-technique defensive tackle Star Lotulelei was struggling.

It’s that type of play that shapes a game, and sometimes shapes our thoughts of the game. That’s the beautiful part about reviewing the film, to see where you erred on Sunday — and I whiffed on Lotulelei, though I don’t think I’m alone

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL now the conspiracy theories come out.  Now Pegula is playing a mob boss and making threats.

You guys are so hardheaded and refuse to accept a differing opinion that you’ll even go the conspiracy route.  

it's amazing isn't it?  there's actually theories of the pegulas making this happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, not so much.

"When Lotulelei wasn’t in the game, the Bills allowed 5.09 yards per carry to Eagles running backs. With Lotulelei in the game, if you take out the 65-yard run by the Eagles that wasn’t primarily his fault, the Bills were allowing just 3.15 yards per carry. And, if the Bills linebackers do their job differently on the second level, Sanders likely runs for just a 6-yard gain, which would bring the average to 3.29 yards per carry.

"Lotulelei even helped create a sack for Shaq Lawson early in the first half, and then later took on the double team to enable Jordan Phillips to get a sack. I focused all of my video efforts on Lotulelei to drive home the point: He wasn’t the problem on Sunday; he was a strength."

Let's ignore that 65 yard game changing run that Star got dominated 1v1 on b/c other defenders made mistakes on the play???

Had to jump through a few hoops to make that conclusion huh?

Star is the 2nd highest cap hit on the team, and if the best you can say about him is "well, if you ignore these really bad plays that cost us the game, he's normally doing his job by being invisible and eating up blocks" then that's a major problem. 

I follow a number of Bills reporters who do All-22 reviews, and their opinion on Sunday's game echos Joe B and what the coaching staff said earlier.

Star Lotulelei played well.

Too many football fans (not just in Buffalo) see the big tackles as the "first line of defense" and jump on them anytime the team lets up a big run.  This is a generic, uneducated and often misguided way of thinking.  In many schemes - ours included - the DTs are mostly intended to occupy blockers and allow the Linebackers or Safeties to fly around the field and make the tackle.  

The Miles Sanders 65-yard-run was a perfect example.  Lotulelei angled before the snap and then filled the A gap to the left of the center.  He did his job, and helped leave an unblocked defender behind him to make the stop.  This play ultimately came down to either Matt Milano shedding the block, or Micah Hyde reacting quickly to the play.  Milano is totally blocked out of the play, and Hyde hesitates - allowing Sanders to make the cut and fly past them.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL now the conspiracy theories come out.  Now Pegula is playing a mob boss and making threats.

You guys are so hardheaded and refuse to accept a differing opinion that you’ll even go the conspiracy route.  

Any and all all-22 reviews that break down the play of the team are welcome. Otherwise it’s people refusing to consider anything that challenges their view of the broadcast or at the field, which isn’t the same level of analysis. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Let's ignore that 65 yard game changing run that Star got dominated 1v1 on b/c other defenders made mistakes on the play???

Star is the 2nd highest cap hit on the team, and if the best you can say about him is "well, if you ignore these really bad plays that cost us the game, he's normally doing his job by being invisible and eating up blocks" then that's a major problem. 

Please watch the 65-yard-run, and tell me how Lotulelei was "dominated" by the blocker.

He is clearly angled to the A gap before the snap, and then shoots into and fills the A gap.  Which is NOT where the run goes.

If you are upset that he didn't knock the OG on his @$$ and blow into the backfield to make the play, your expectations are too high.  Not being Aaron Donald does not make him a bad player.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

He didn’t ignore it. He said that if the other defenders had done their jobs, it was a 6 yard gain. He didn’t say Star was good on the play, he said he could have done more. I’m not defending the guy, I don’t care either way. But that’s what it says. 

• Like (+1) 1

Funny reading how people criticize Joe B's unbiased evaluation in order to fit their own narrative about Star.  Joe B admitted in the article he was prepared to see a lousy Star, but the film showed otherwise.  It's a shame folks can't be open-minded and understand that they aren't always right.  There was a problem defending the run on Sunday, but apparently it wasn't Star.  Milano wasn't good, Tremaine wasn't good, and the rotation on the D line wasn't working.

The nice thing is that the Bills have good coaches and smart players who will work to fix the issues.  If every team was only judged by its worst defeat what would we think about Baltimore (blown out at home by Cleveland) or Dallas (dominated by the 1-6 Jets)?

If the Bills can put together a 3-game winning streak right now vs. Washington, Cleveland, and Miami, showing improvement on the run D along the way, all will be forgotten.

The much bigger issue, IMO, is finding a way to maximize Singletary and get the deep passing game in gear.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Any and all all-22 reviews that break down the play of the team are welcome. Otherwise it’s people refusing to consider anything that challenges their view of the broadcast or at the field, which isn’t the same level of analysis. 

I don't breakdown film so that's why I'm pounding the table on my opinion.  I base it on playing time and he's playing...was before and after Harry's injury. 

What's happening is, on the broadcast, the Analyst will break down a few plays.  On those few plays, usually a big play, the analyst will show where the break downs took place.  If on those few plays, it shows a particular player messing up or not making a play....some of these opinionated fans are basing the entire game on those plays.  Not taking into account the other downs he was on the field making an impact.  A broadcast guy isn't going to break down every single play.

It's what happened with Gilmore.  He would get ripped for giving up any completions and was consistently called overrated.  Many times it wasn't on him but since he was in the shot on the replay...he was blamed.  Belicheck saw his talent, gave him his big contract and now is probably the best corner in football....

• Like (+1) 1