MNF: Fish at Steelers

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

John Brown and Cole Beasley are the only guys who seem to be thrown the football when Knox isn’t dropping it. That means they have good reception numbers. Brown has been really good, but is he really a game changing WR? He’s played great, and I love him as a number two, but Brown isn’t someone who’s going take a game over. 

You don’t necessarily need a true #1 over Brown. Another Brown would absolutely take the pressure off.

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

This is one of those rare times I agree with everyone posting. We need better QB play, Allen becomes a bust if he doesn’t improve big time before the end of the season imo, we also need a legit number one WR, and Daboll needs to learn how to be an NFL level OC. All of those things are problems right now. 

I’d say the bust label would be premature before the end of year 3. Regardless, yes it’s quite possible that many parts of the offense aren’t good enough as currently constructed. I don’t believe it has to be one or the other. 

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So John Brown is putting up #1 WR numbers but you don’t think he’s a #1 WR because of....reasons?

Is your only knock against Brown that he isn’t a big physical WR who is going to go up for jump balls? If so that’s a lame reason.  

Brown is putting up #1 numbers because he's being targeted like a #1 guy becasue he's the best the Bill's have at WR.  What Brown hasn't done is to take a game over.  This means making the type of catches you saw by shuster; or taking a quick slant breaking a tackle and going 80 yards for a TD or catching 7 passes for over 200 yards like Kupp did yesterday. 

These are the things a true #1 WR does on a regular basis. 

• Like (+1) 2

Josh needs to get better but it's not just Josh.  Every drive stalled has its own problems.  The receiver drops a good ball.  Josh throws a bad ball.  Good play called back putting us in 3rd a long or 3rd and longer.  Sometimes it's just some goofy play call.  It's everything but a lot of people want to blame just one thing.  

This isn't the thread for this but it was being talked about so that's my two cents on it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

John Brown and Cole Beasley are the only guys who seem to be thrown the football when Knox isn’t dropping it. That means they have good reception numbers. Brown has been really good, but is he really a game changing WR? He’s played great, and I love him as a number two, but Brown isn’t someone who’s going take a game over. 

How many game changing #1 WRs currently exist? 

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

This is one of those rare times I agree with everyone posting. We need better QB play, Allen becomes a bust if he doesn’t improve big time before the end of the season imo, we also need a legit number one WR, and Daboll needs to learn how to be an NFL level OC. All of those things are problems right now. 

Well, so far this year we're seeing:

- the 5th QB picked in the same draft (Lamar) far outperforming Josh

- a late third rounder from the same draft (Rudolph) who is appearing in his 5th NFL game playing at least as well as Josh

- a 7th rounder from the following draft (Minshew) outplaying Allen

- an undrafted FA (Kyle Allen) from the same draft arguably looking better than Josh

And of course there's a former UDFA backup out there (Nick Mullens) who actually outplayed Josh last year too

No, he's not a bust by any means, but there are an awful lot of Josh Allen apologists who aren't willing to admit that other less celebrated guys are making a quicker adjustment to the NFL. I see a million "we got the right Josh" comments or "he's better than Mayfield/Darnold" comments, but maybe that's the wrong question to ask.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Brown is putting up #1 numbers because he's being targeted like a #1 guy becasue he's the best the Bill's have at WR.  What Brown hasn't done is to take a game over.  This means making the type of catches you saw by shuster; or taking a quick slant breaking a tackle and going 80 yards for a TD or catching 7 passes for over 200 yards like Kupp did yesterday. 

These are the things a true #1 WR does on a regular basis. 

We don’t have a QB who can throw a deep ball and don’t have an OC who can scheme guys open in space.

Brown has the speed to make guys miss and beat them deep. 

We have enough talent to be a playoff team, but we’re also asking Josh Allen to elevate an offense, not the other way around which would be asking an offense to elevate a 2nd year QB.  

Look at Howard/Sanders compared to Gore/Singletary..  I love Gore but we’re not dynamic enough with him being our primary back.  That’s why it makes sense that we’d be entertaining thoughts of Melvin Gordon.  

Look at the WRs I just listed for every young QB not named Josh Allen or Sam Darnold...  

A feature back to go with Singletary and, at the very least, another John Brown level WR opposite John Brown is what we’re probably looking at doing this offseason, if not at the trade deadline.... and for good reason.   

Was Stevie Johnson a #1 wr?  He put up #1 numbers with Fitz throwing him the ball.  Brown is good.  No doubt.  I think he was the best pickup this off season.  He isn't a game changer that bails out a QBs bad balls like I see on all the other good teams.  People always ooooo aaaaahhhh look at that throw Josh never makes.  I say ooooo aahhhh look at that receiver bail out what would be a Allen INT.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Josh needs to get better but it's not just Josh.  Every drive stalled has its own problems.  The receiver drops a good ball.  Josh throws a bad ball.  Good play called back putting us in 3rd a long or 3rd and longer.  Sometimes it's just some goofy play call.  It's everything but a lot of people want to blame just one thing.  

This isn't the thread for this but it was being talked about so that's my two cents on it.

You're so right.  It's not that we can't move the ball.  We have proven that, but there are some errors in execution in each of the things you mentioned that are killing drives. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Well, Mason Rudolph is a lot more accurate than Josh.  I'd also venture to guess that Pittsburgh's offense is fairly simple and easier to run.

He is?  Tonight early in the 4th quarter he's 18/32 which is a 56% completion average.  And that includes a Steelers game plan that features screens & short passes.