Game Day Experience: Week 4 (Pats* at Bills)

Gugny

I haven't been to many Bills games.  Double digits, but under 20.  It's always been a pleasurable experience at home.

My experience yesterday was less-than-stellar, but overall good.

Getting in was fine.  I went in around noon.  No line.  No ticket problems.

Come game time, it was clear that the guy behind me (Bills fan) was inebriated.  He was obnoxiously loud, to the point it hurt my ears (the one that actually works hurt more).  Slurring his speech whilst yelling louder than a ***** Who concert.

At one point, I said something to my son.  I didn't say anything out of line.  Something like, "Jesus, this dude won't stop."

He starts yelling at me, "What?????  Just because I'm loud, I'm a ***** dick???!!!!"  So I stood up, turned around to face him (this dude could have snapped me in half), and told him that those words never came out of my mouth.  I told him he'd clearly had too much to drink and that I paid a lot of money to be there and would like to enjoy the game.  He starts yelling and swearing at me so I told my son to wait there and I went and got security.

There was a guy who was about 80 years old (not exaggerating) and another, younger, guy.  

I told the younger guy what was happening and he gives me this attitude like I was bothering him.  "Whaaaat section .... ????"  Whaaaat seat ...????"  So I told him.

Five minutes later, the elderly guy comes up the stairs and says something to the drunk a-hole.  

DID NOTHING.  So now, I spend the rest of the game listening to this scumbag taking verbal shots at me non-stop.  I wasn't gonna waste my time and go back to security.

As much as they encourage people to report unruly behavior, they certainly deterred me from ever doing it again.  It backfired on me, BIG TIME.

I'm all for being loud and rowdy.  I love it.  But being a drunk, obnoxious, belligerent a-hole is completely different.  Apparently the Bills think differently.

@plenzmd1 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, thebug said:

That was you? Sorry I was pretty wasted! 

If you apologized, this is just a bunch of whining! Unless you vomited on him, then you need to send flowers. 

It does suck, and it’s always a crap shoot. I’ve usually been pretty lucky, but I’ve certainly had “that guy” around me somewhere. Gugny, sorry you and your son ran into that. 

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I haven't been to many Bills games.  Double digits, but under 20.  It's always been a pleasurable experience at home.

My experience yesterday was less-than-stellar, but overall good.

Getting in was fine.  I went in around noon.  No line.  No ticket problems.

Come game time, it was clear that the guy behind me (Bills fan) was inebriated.  He was obnoxiously loud, to the point it hurt my ears (the one that actually works hurt more).  Slurring his speech whilst yelling louder than a ***** Who concert.

At one point, I said something to my son.  I didn't say anything out of line.  Something like, "Jesus, this dude won't stop."

He starts yelling at me, "What?????  Just because I'm loud, I'm a ***** dick???!!!!"  So I stood up, turned around to face him (this dude could have snapped me in half), and told him that those words never came out of my mouth.  I told him he'd clearly had too much to drink and that I paid a lot of money to be there and would like to enjoy the game.  He starts yelling and swearing at me so I told my son to wait there and I went and got security.

There was a guy who was about 80 years old (not exaggerating) and another, younger, guy.  

I told the younger guy what was happening and he gives me this attitude like I was bothering him.  "Whaaaat section .... ????"  Whaaaat seat ...????"  So I told him.

Five minutes later, the elderly guy comes up the stairs and says something to the drunk a-hole.  

DID NOTHING.  So now, I spend the rest of the game listening to this scumbag taking verbal shots at me non-stop.  I wasn't gonna waste my time and go back to security.

As much as they encourage people to report unruly behavior, they certainly deterred me from ever doing it again.  It backfired on me, BIG TIME.

I'm all for being loud and rowdy.  I love it.  But being a drunk, obnoxious, belligerent a-hole is completely different.  Apparently the Bills think differently.

@plenzmd1

Too bad that this fool ruined you and your son's experience. I would email a similar report including the seat location to the organization. I don't understand the desire to get obnoxiously drunk to an event, inside or out, after spending money to attend the event. Out of curiosity how old was this pig, and was he with friends who were behaving just as stupidly? 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Too bad that this fool ruined you and your son's experience. I would email a similar report including the seat location to the organization. I don't understand the desire to get obnoxiously drunk to an event, inside or out, after spending money to attend the event. Out of curiosity how old was this pig, and was he with friends who were behaving just as stupidly? 

He was 40-ish and with his female significant other (who just quietly agreed with him).

• Like (+1) 1

You're not taking your kids to the movies.

I never had an issue... Actually, we do... Been to many, many games.  Maybe 50?  All over the country.  Even... When my son was young.

But... I am a lover, not a fighter... I usually diffuse issue.

Don't take anything personal... Don't let it wreck your day.  My brother diffused a Bills fan that was loaded and getting mad at a Paytoilet fan... Guy behind me was getting annoying.  Young kid, 10 or so also... His father was pretending to be a Bills fan...

Anyway... Don't take it personal.  One of the Four agreements:

http://www.toltecspirit.com

The Four Agreements are:

1. Be Impeccable with your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don’t Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He was 40-ish and with his female significant other (who just quietly agreed with him).

Sounds like this couple makes a good pairing. Hopefully, they don't have offspring. :ph34r:

Edited by JohnC
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're not taking your kids to the movies.

I never had an issue... Actually, we do... Been to many, many games.  Maybe 50?  All over the country.  Even... When my son was young.

But... I am a lover, not a fighter... I usually diffuse issue.

Don't take anything personal... Don't let it wreck your day.  My brother diffused a Bills fan that was loaded and getting mad at a Paytoilet fan... Guy behind me was getting annoying.  Young kid, 10 or so also... His father was pretending to be a Bills fan...

Anyway... Don't take it personal.  One of the Four agreements:

http://www.toltecspirit.com

The Four Agreements are:

1. Be Impeccable with your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don’t Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

Had nothing to do with my son being there. I didn't take it personally and I communicated to him, and to security, with abundant clarity.

He didn't wreck my day.  He wrecked part of my experience at the stadium, but I just ignored him the rest of the game - even though I heard all the crap he was talking throughout the entire game.  I wrecked his day.  And I couldn't have been happier.

I have absolutely zero self-judgment, self-abuse or regret.  Zilcho.

• Like (+1) 3

The suite behind us was full of patriot fans. 

Talked to them when we walked in 

they all were friends and came over on a bus. 

Friendly. 

Said when ever I wanted a beer let them know. Got 3 from them. 

Guy next to us who owns 8 seats and never and I do say never spoken to me or the wife in 3 years gets in a shouting F you match (probably 50 times) pats fans. Got bad.  None of the patriot fans said f u back. They tried to calm it down.  They were nice to him but, they were not over the top all that bad. They were cheering on their team. 

Security did come and  ask him to leave but he did come back in about 10 minutes. Security did go in and talk to the pats fans. 

When he came back in they talked and all was well. 

Was scary for a bit as people stood up and started watching what was going on. 

Glad it did not get worse. 

Talked to the pat fans after and they were very nice.  

• Like (+1) 1

I went to a Buffalo Wild Wings with my son, his friend and his dad for a March Madness weekend. Some $%&*faced guy at the table behind us was like that. I calmly asked them to tame it down. He asked if I had a problem with him. I initially said “no, we’re cool, just try to keep it under control”. I then reconsidered, and said “actually, the language part has to stop. There are women and kids here, and while I don’t like it, there is zero reason they should be exposed to that!”  He got louder and puffed out his chest and it was looking ugly....until my “other dad” stood up and pushed the table back heading their way. He’s about 6’6” and 270 lbs, with fists the size of a Thanksgiving Turkey. Ex-military guy who grew up poor and no stranger to a brawl....and it showed. 

That was the end of that!  ?

You’re getting nowhere being even remotely confrontational with people in that state, even though you’re 100% in the right. As much as it sucks and is annoying, best move in that situation is to befriend the goof and then after good terms have been established you find a way to try and passively communicate the concerns. 

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

One more of these experiences, and I'm done.

I really used to enjoy it. Not so much anymore. It’s a circus environment. We sat on the visitors side 13 rows up at the forty five. I think WGR radio had seats there. Man if you swore once everybody would look at you. Boy have things changed.

Edited by Helpmenow

I'm in my 60s now (dang!) and have zero tolerance for this crap.  Would never go to a Patriots game, and even though this was a Bills brother, it's just as troublesome.

Nobody enjoys liquid refreshments before and during the game more than me, but all it takes is one a-hole, whoever they're rooting for, to ruin the entire afternoon.

Sorry you and your son had to experience this.  I echo the others, make sure you send an email outlining the scenario to the Bills...they need to hear this, especially since "security" was less than accommodating.  

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

I dropped my seasons three years ago.  I still go to 3-4 games per year.   I didn't have tickets to this game but I met a few of my friends up at the stadium for the tailgate.  My thinking was if the price goes down I will buy a ticket at the last minute.  Had my wife drop me off at the stadium at 9, had a good time at the tailgate.  Had a few beers with some friends I haven't seen in awhile & we grilled out, nice morning.  At noon my one friend asked me if I was going to try to find a ticket, I said no my wife is picking me up in about 15 minutes.  She picked me up, I was back at the house by 12:35 & watch the game in my basement.  Grilled some lobster tails at my house after the game.  Aside from the ending, it was a really enjoyable day.  I am starting to think with all the nonsense & hassle of going to the game, & I have thought the tailgating for the least 15 years has been the most enjoyable part of the day anyways, is to just go to the tailgate & come home to watch the game.  I should state, this is not feasible for everybody as I do live 15 minutes away from the stadium.  

I will state for the Ravens game in December, my son & I do planning on going to Hammers for the pregame festivities as all the guys I usually tailgate with are out of town that weekend.  I have wanted to see first hand what that parking lot is all about for years.  We always tailgate in Lot 5 off of Southwestern.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

You’re going to a place with 60,000 plus people expected to be as loud at they possibly can be and you’re mad it happened. Lol.

There's a discernible difference between being loud and being an obnoxious lout. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

There's a discernible difference between being loud and being an obnoxious lout. 

Where is the line drawn? The team wants the fans to be loud. They ask the fans to be as loud as possible. Who decides what’s crossing the line? They paid for their seats just like he did. What makes his opinion matter more than someone else’s? 

Did he just come out from a bomb shelter he’s been in since the 60s? You know going to a game what the atmosphere is going to be like especially a pats* game.  

By the post the guy wasn’t doing anything other than being loud until he complained about it. Then he got belligerent. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

one drunk can ruin an entire game.  we all know the difference between loud and obnoxious.  if you can do it, it's always worth upgrading your seats.  i go to very few games at this point, (last year i didn't even make it to one which was the first time in many seasons).  we just sit in the clubs now.  we sit outside and still have the game day environment, but now have a full bar for 4 quarters, clean and easy to access bathroom, and i don't think i've ever seen anyone out of control in the clubs.  the cost is the issue, but for as little as i go now, it's always well worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Where is the line drawn? The team wants the fans to be loud. They ask the fans to be as loud as possible. Who decides what’s crossing the line? They paid for their seats just like he did. What makes his opinion matter more than someone else’s? 

Did he just come out from a bomb shelter he’s been in since the 60s? You know going to a game what the atmosphere is going to be like especially a pats* game.  

By the post the guy wasn’t doing anything other than being loud until he complained about it. Then he got belligerent. 

Suggest you go back and read the original post.  

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

You’re going to a place with 60,000 plus people expected to be as loud at they possibly can be and you’re mad it happened. Lol.

Your comprehension skills need honing.

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Edit:  They need more than honing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hey @Gugny send me your section and row and seat number, i will make sure it gets to the appropriate people responsible for game day experience. PM me..seat number important so they will no which vomitorium you most likely used to report incident and they will know which officer.

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

I should state, this is not feasible for everybody as I do live 15 minutes away from the stadium.  

Only if you go the right way home, and you go the wrong way?

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I'm in my 60s now (dang!) and have zero tolerance for this crap.  Would never go to a Patriots game, and even though this was a Bills brother, it's just as troublesome.

Nobody enjoys liquid refreshments before and during the game more than me, but all it takes is one a-hole, whoever they're rooting for, to ruin the entire afternoon.

Sorry you and your son had to experience this.  I echo the others, make sure you send an email outlining the scenario to the Bills...they need to hear this, especially since "security" was less than accommodating.  

It’s a sign we’re getting old. Seen and done that.

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hey @Gugny send me your section and row and seat number, i will make sure it gets to the appropriate people responsible for game day experience. PM me..seat number important so they will no which vomitorium you most likely used to report incident and they will know which officer.

Done.  Thanks, Plenz.

58 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Only if you go the right way home, and you go the wrong way?

Haha, very true, my wife was driving so she is a lot better at directions then I am.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

You’ll never prevent this from happening, but when it’s reported you should be able to expect that it would be taken seriously. THAT is the part that disappoints me the most.

i had to use security this game, two dudes trying to sit/stand in one seat, and it was annoying as hell.

But in a sign that age 57 i may finally be maturing, asked him once to get to a different seat or whatever, just please move from here, ..and he ignored his elder. As recently as last year, I would have went back at him again with some forceful language, this time took a small walk up some steps, pointed him out to security, he was removed immediately...and i got to laugh at him as he left!

To security's credit, they did respond instantly

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

You’ll never prevent this from happening, but when it’s reported you should be able to expect that it would be taken seriously. THAT is the part that disappoints me the most.

It should be hard to prevent if they followed the rules they were going to put in place and not permit intoxicated people into the stadium, and the stadium should be refusing to serve anyone inside that appears to be intoxicated

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It should be hard to prevent if they followed the rules they were going to put in place and not permit intoxicated people into the stadium, and the stadium should be refusing to serve anyone inside that appears to be intoxicated

When they changed to rules about what could be brought into the stadium a few years back, I had to bring my 13 year old (at the time) daughter's glitter handbag back to the car because it was about 1/2 inch to big. Yet the guy in the next line over could barely stand up. One security guy said let her in (with the bag) to the other one, but no go, rules are rules she said. I let her know how I felt about a bunch of drunks being allowed but not a handbag. They don't make money from handbags. 

Edited by thebug
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

sorry this happened

i ran into this a few years ago in another city, his friends joined in bothering me as well after i asked him to stop screaming all the time

when the game was over I got up and they saw what my height and weight were and they shut up totally as i walked across the aisle and up the stairs, not a peep....