Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

This is where Singletary can be so dangerous on the blitz dump off’s. Huge yardage chunks.   Suppose Knox as well. 

Allen has to come off the downfield reads and take them  They were there last week, instead he kept gunning for the long ball  I would bet the Titans game plan is to keep everything in front of them and make Josh take the ball down the field little at a time

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m not sure whose dream it is - I’ve been wondering aloud whether Daboll wants to prove to the league he knows how to implement the New England offense, so as to set himself up for a head coaching opportunity this offseason - the Belichick coaching tree keeps getting hired, he may be trying to strike while the iron is hot.

Daboll's scheme is fine though he drives me crazy abandoning the run for streches of plays  Josh just isnt taking what is there.  They goaded him into taking deep shots last week.  Only guy Josh should trust to go get the football deep is Brown.  Zay has shown he wont fight for the football

1 hour ago, colin said:

If he is cleared and plays, I think he will come out like a house on fire.

passing on 1st down to set up big runs and then play action.  a road win via total team destruction is exactly what we need after the NE loss prior to a bye week.

He needs to take a little break from the hero ball. Reduce the deep throws and go all short to intermediate.  Incorporate Singletary more into the offense.  Let the front 4 get after Mariota. I'm convinced he's playing Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

We all hope.  My point is, if he is cleared but without a chunk of practice, if he could at least be the backup, we wouldn't have to activate anyone from the PS.

If Josh is cleared to play he will start. It doesn’t matter if he missed  some practice during the week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

Remember the seasons more important than one game.

With the bye coming the following week, I can see the appeal of playing it very safe, but if he’s cleared I’m sure he’ll go.

These things are hard to gauge, and I obviously have no idea what will happen. I know a lot of players are not 100% truthful so they can “help the team”. I’d suggest Josh sliding a little more would really “help the team” long term more than getting decapitated trying to get that last yard. I’d rather he slide after 6 on 3rd and 8 than take those hits. There’s always 4th and 2 (and we were in that territory), PLUS the rest of the season! 

25 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He needs to take a little break from the hero ball. Reduce the deep throws and go all short to intermediate.  Incorporate Singletary more into the offense.  Let the front 4 get after Mariota. I'm convinced he's playing Sunday. 

He needs to throw to Dawson Knox more and Zay Jones less (preferably because he's on the bench).

5 hours ago, VW82 said:

The thing with concussions is you never really know. Josh can get cleared by the best neurologists on the planet. It's still an educated guess. Like I said, there's also the added benefit of letting him watch and learn for a week. That was a brutal performance on Sunday and he's struggled at times in the other games too. Maybe sitting out a week will help him learn that every possession counts.  

We all know you'd love for Allen to sit for another week so you can push your "Allen sucks, Barkley should start!" narrative all the way through the bye week.

But sorry, if he's cleared, he starts.  Honestly if he wasn't involved with meetings or anything today, I would have been more inclined to want Barkley to start just because of the missed practices for a young, still raw QB like Allen.

But looks like he's back, so let him start.

The Patriots are the #1 D in the NFL right now.  The Bills are close behind.  Yes, the Patriots made Allen look awful.  But don't forget that the Bills D made Brady look pretty bad, too.

Moving on...

• Awesome! (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....understand what you're saying, but not sure "hero" or ME ball is his intent (STILL refer to his quote, "it's about OUR team and OUR family")......think his heart gets in the way of his head so as not to let "the family" down.......with his size, agility and arm, he wants to do it all and despite only having 15 starts (was accused of using this an an "OLD excuse"; typical TBD'er whose name I won't disclose), kid must learn over time.....sure as hell prefer him as our long term franchise QB versus a short term gurney exit.....

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Jim Kelly would say he got his “bell rung”

For some reason I can hear Jim saying something along the lines of "he was seeing tweetie birds flying around" 

Not saying he would. Just can hear him saying it for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....why not Knox AND Sweeney?.....how did Belichick with Gronk and Hernandez work out?......not too bad if I remember correctly......

I've been saying for some time that two talented pass catching TE's causes matchup problems for the opponent. That's exactly what N.E. did with those two. Few teams have a linebacker or safety that can match up with even one big & speedy receiver let alone two.

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Webb has NOT  been activated from the practice squad. If they suspected Allen wouldn't be available, I assume they would have brought him up already. 

Not sure if Allen starts, but safe to speculate McD and friends are expecting him to suit up.

The PS guys practice with the team. They are not restricted in running plays or whatever. They don't need to activate him until later in the week if they don't want to and it would make no difference. I think Allen is playing, and they won't activate Webb, although it's surely possible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1