Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Perhaps.  Or perhaps he would have been clubbed in the head like Gronk did to Tre White (after the whistle) or like Kiko Alonso tried to do to him in the MIA game this year.  The bottom line is that if the NFL wants to stop this helmet to helmet hit crap, these hits have to have real-time in-game consequences or they'll keep happening.

An offsetting penalty for holding is not a significant consequence, more like a free ticket.

It is a bad precedent.  Defenses can take an intentional cheap shot when they see a flag for off sides, much like a QB takes a shot down field when encroachment is called and know they will not really be penalized for it.  Goes against the spirit of protecting players from shots to the head.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It is a bad precedent.  Defenses can take an intentional cheap shot when they see a flag for off sides, much like a QB takes a shot down field when encroachment is called and know they will not really be penalized for it.  Goes against the spirit of protecting players from shots to the head.

Exactly. 

16 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

There was another interesting, somewhat related moment in that game, where Josh got the Pats to jump offside therefore giving us a first down, but then Dawkins had to hold the edge rusher to prevent Josh from getting killed on the blindside because he was holding onto the ball to take a free deep shot.  Offsetting penalties taking back the first down.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Perhaps.  Or perhaps he would have been clubbed in the head like Gronk did to Tre White (after the whistle) or like Kiko Alonso tried to do to him in the MIA game last year.  The bottom line is that if the NFL wants to stop this helmet to helmet hit crap, these hits have to have real-time in-game consequences or they'll keep happening.

An offsetting penalty for holding is not a significant consequence, more like a free ticket.

This. IMO any personal foul should only be offset by another personal foul, and targeting helmet to helmet should be an automatic ejection. I might even support something similar to a red card in soccer, where if a player gets ejected you play with 10 men on that side of the ball for the rest of the game. 

11 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

This. IMO any personal foul should only be offset by another personal foul, and targeting helmet to helmet should be an automatic ejection. I might even support something similar to a red card in soccer, where if a player gets ejected you play with 10 men on that side of the ball for the rest of the game. 

Lol...

Being down a man has a much bigger impact in football than it does soccer.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From our site's TOS:

Special note to fans of other teams: This message board is provided for the enjoyment of Bills fans and you should recognize that as such. We welcome fans from any team that come here in the spirit of good sportsmanship and with the intent to exchange good dialog with Bills fans. However, inappropriate trash talk and other inappropriate methods of disruption are grounds for message removal and possible restricted board access to violators. TBD does not allow mischievous activity from disruptive posters that would result in decreased readership or a devaluation of the product.

So, No.  They can and will get warned for trash-talking or being disruptive - f they start an account 10 minutes after the game to trash talk out the airlock they go - but we look at the posting history and  if there seems to be an attempt at dialog and football convo intermixed with the trash, they're allowed.

This post is the kind of info that keeps me here.  Great stuff and Thank you.

I have now asked a few Pats Fans what Pats boards they are members of. So far they have been to afraid or don’t belong to a Pats board to respond. It will be nice to be over there once the Bills beat them in Dec.

16 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Lol...

Being down a man has a much bigger impact in football than it does soccer.

I’m aware. That’s why I said I *might* support it. I think they should exhaust other options to attempt to eliminate intentional head shots from the game first, but if ejections, stiffer fines, and longer suspensions aren’t effective at greatly reducing the frequency, so be it. At that point either the player would care about their team enough to not do it, or they’d find themselves out of a job quickly because coaches and front offices wouldn’t tolerate it. A similar, but less extreme option I find interesting would be if they did it just for the remainder of the drive, like a hockey power play. Honestly part of why I find these options intriguing is because I think it would be interesting to see how coaches would adjust to playing down a man.

44 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

What if the opposing team gets to pick the player who must replace the ejected in on the field? 

Kickers would get so much more playing time 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, london_bills said:

I admire Allen's courage and character. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt once.

McDermott HAS to have said to him 'slide we need you to stay on the field'

But If Allen plays the Titans game and runs head first I just think theres a BIGGER problem that will never go away.

Once ? So for you, Allen must never get tackled in the open field after a run again ? He has done the slide this season already, so it’s not like he never does it. Injury was unfortunate, but he’ll likely limit the hits over time. Of course , Newton still takes hits and what year is he in now? Anyway, the Bills don’t have to make a decision on Allen until after his 3rd season. Lots of time yet for the big picture to play out. 

23 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

I’m aware. That’s why I said I *might* support it. I think they should exhaust other options to attempt to eliminate intentional head shots from the game first, but if ejections, stiffer fines, and longer suspensions aren’t effective at greatly reducing the frequency, so be it. At that point either the player would care about their team enough to not do it, or they’d find themselves out of a job quickly because coaches and front offices wouldn’t tolerate it. A similar, but less extreme option I find interesting would be if they did it just for the remainder of the drive, like a hockey power play. Honestly part of why I find these options intriguing is because I think it would be interesting to see how coaches would adjust to playing down a man.

The power play idea is interesting. That sounds exciting, actually.

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

I don't know about that, but I've always been a proponent of "you get the same punishment as the guy you injured". Meaning in this case, if Josh can't return for the game, neither do you. If Josh has to sit out next week, you do too - without pay. 

You'll continue to sit out, unpaid, until the player that you injured with an illegal/dirty hit is cleared to return.

I think you'd see these types of plays disappear pretty quick.