Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

Just now, Lurker said:

If Allen was in protocol for both the Wednesday and Thursday practices, I can't see how he's be given comparable snaps to Barkley.     

If he gets cleared later today or Friday, I could see him serving as Barkley's backup, however.

I said above that McDermott has said more than once if you suit up you are expected to play. I don't think there is much chance if he is fully cleared that he is not starting. They don't clear him at 95%.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure why you would say that definitively. We do not know if he took the final tests yet, plus the real worry is that he regressed from yesterday, and that does not at all appear to be the case as he is practicing. Plus he took all the first team reps in the first walk through this morning.

I can't see McD starting Allen with only limited walk through preparation after a poor outing vs. the Pats.   He's just too conservative about things like that.

I could see McD challenging the team to rise to the occasion with Barkley starting.   It seems like a very 'process' thing to do...

Edit:  I could even see McD sitting Josh for motivational reinforcement of how they want him to play.    I guess we'll have to see what he says later today...

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, wiskibreth said:

My guess is, he was never "really" concussed, they just put him through the protocol for optics.  I totally disagree with posters saying he should sit out this week to teach him some kind of lesson.  It's not just all about Josh Allen, there's 52 other dudes plus coaching staff plus the rest of the organization who want the best chance to win on Sunday.

I also disagree Allen should sit out to "teach him some kind of lesson", but Allen was absolutely concussed, by "optics" - how the play looked on film.  It looked as though he went limp, he lost consciousness, fencer's reflex with his hands - he absolutely had a concussion.  Ability to jog down the tunnel is not diagnostic for lack of concussion.

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

Based on what I'm seeing for 2 days in a row, I have to believe, given no other QB was signed or Webb being brought up, he's starting.  Hopefully Singletary too.  He looks fast in the clips 

That's a fair point re: no other QB signed

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

if he is healthy enough to be backup, why wouldn't he start?

Doing throwing drills before practice is one thing.    Running with the ones while they put in the game plan is another (we don't know if he did or didn't, but I'm betting he didn't)

I can't recall a Bills QB that didn't practice during the week ever starting on Sunday (and that includes the Kelly era)...

Edited by Lurker

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Based on what I'm seeing for 2 days in a row, I have to believe, given no other QB was signed or Webb being brought up, he's starting.  Hopefully Singletary too.  He looks fast in the clips 

While I agree, it's not because of Webb not being brought up. Even though he's on the PS, he can still be practicing all week to be the backup and can be activated to the 53 on Saturday. It serves you no purpose to activate him before that anyway. At the very least, even if you know Allen isn't playing, keep the Titans guessing. The moment you activate Webb, now the Titans know your plans. At least make them have to prepare for both QB's in the meantime. 

But I agree. He's starting in Tennessee.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Lurker said:

Doing throwing drills before practice is one thing.    Running with the ones while they put in the game plan is another (we don't know is he did or didn't but I'm betting he didn't)

I can't recall a Bills QB that didn't practice during the week ever starting on Sunday (and that includes the Kelly era)...

Why would they have him out first today in a walk through with the first team in the rain with Barkley on the sidelines? 

The only reason would be, I guess, to have that reported so the Titans think he’s starting. Although I’d guarantee they are anyway. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

This implies they knew Tuesday that he was not in serious trouble. That doesn’t mean anything definitive. But it does say to me they knew very early the concussion was not a bad one, which lends credence to being able to play this week. It’s no certainty but imo likely. 

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Why would they have him out first today in a walk through with the first team in the rain with Barkley on the sidelines? 

The only reason would be, I guess, to have that reported so the Titans think he’s starting. Although I’d guarantee they are anyway. 

Here is the thing.  The Bills do not have to rush him to stage 5.  Theoretically, he could have cleared all the tests with the teams physicians--they will know if he will pass with the independent physician. They may be keeping him in the protocol until the last moment,  just to keep Ten guessing. I'm 90% certain that Morse was ready long before they actually took him out of the protocol, just because they were in no rush to have the independent physician evaluate him.  

Edit: Marcel Louis-Jacques just said the same thing on Twitter just as I was typing my post. That is wild timing. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I think it's to make the Titan's prepare for both. 

My view is that it would be a real risk to have Josh prepare to start in both the Wednesday and Thursday practices if he still hadn't been removed from the protocol.   If he suffered a setback after Thursday, you'd have to go with an under-prepared Barkley on Sunday.

McD does not cotton under-preparation.    I doubt very much that he'd risk having Josh or Barkley not be ready after the cluster F** against the Pats...    

Just now, Dopey said:

If it's even close, I want him to sit and then have the bye week too. We need Josh for the long haul. Also, last year, things seemed to slow down for him after he returned from injury.

We need our starting QB to play and improve...if he is healthy having him sit for a few weeks doesn't help.