First Half wasn't as awful as everyone is saying

mjt328

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I guess the accuracy bar for Allen has been raised to 75%. 

They keep harping on the three bad passes that could have been intercepted. That's 3 throws out of 37! Even Tom frickin' Brady has 3 bad throws per game. All preseason I kept hearing about the threshold Allen had to reach in year two, and he hit them all in one game! But the goalposts for Allen keep moving further.

• Like (+1) 16

Face it, four turnovers in a game much less a half of a game = terrible.  I am as happy as anyone to have a W but the likelihood of getting one when you lode the turnover battle, especially a -4, is exceptionally slim.  If this game were to repeat the turnover situation 15 more times the Bills are vying for the first pick in the next draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

The haters sure loved the first half yesterday.  The number of times I read we need to pull Josh for Barkley, or reminding us we could have had Mahomes or Jackson.

I had to take a break from the GDT, the hot takes are unreal.

Thanks for the thread OP, I couldn't agree more!  

You and me both. A WHOLE bunch of stupid going on in that thread.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They keep harping on the three bad passes that could have been intercepted. That's 3 throws out of 37! Even Tom frickin' Brady has 3 bad throws per game. All preseason I kept hearing about the threshold Allen had to reach in year two, and he hit them all in one game! But the goalposts for Allen keep moving further.

Which is why anyone who knows anything knows what this nonsense is:

Clinging to bitterness over Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's proof of their irrational dislike of Allen.  Who else DWELLS on those kind of coulda/woulda/shoulda plays?  Remember the incomplete dump of pass that Darnold threw when under pressure that hit a Bills LB in the back?  That could have been a pick 6.  Watch ANY NFL game and you'll have a couple of those kind of passes by EVERY QB out there. 

These tools are evaluating Allen on EVERY pass he throws.  It's crazy. 

• Like (+1) 6

39 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In review of yesterday's game, I keep reading how terrible and ineffective the Bills offense was until the 4th Quarter.  I completely disagree.

Were they mistake prone and sloppy at times?  Absolutely.

But when you really break it down, the offense was consistently putting together strong drives for a good chunk of the day.

On the day, the Bills had the ball a total of 12 times. 

- One possession was the kneel down at the half. 

- One possession was running out the clock at the end of the game.

- Then you have the Cole Beasley bounce (pretty much a fluke), which was returned for a touchdown.  This drive was one play.

- Then you have the safety (bad call by the refs), which also lasted one play.

That leaves 8 true possessions for the Bills offense.

1.  Drive #1 (7 plays, 37 yards):  They easily marched down the field to the Jets 26 yard line.  Then Dion Dawkins missed a block, resulting in the sack/strip.

2.  Drive #3 (9 plays, 35 yards):  Another drive into scoring position, until the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Jon Feliciano.

3.  Drive #4 (3 plays, 7 yards):  This was a really bad series, which also included the INT that was overturned by penalty.

4.  Drive #5 (9 plays, 58 yards):  Yet another very strong drive, ended by the botched snap on the QB sneak.

5.  Drive #6 (5 plays, 30 yards):  The offense was starting to move again.  Then we have the tipped pass, which was also intercepted.

6.  Drive #9 (9 plays, 50 yards):  Ended in our first 3 points of the day.

7.  Drive #10 (8 plays, 85 yards):  Touchdown

8.  Drive #11 (8 plays, 80 yards):  Touchdown

Bottom line... On a snap-by-snap basis, I felt like the Bills controlled the game on both sides.  Defense was outstanding all day.  The offense had some really bad bounces and bad luck.  They had some really bad mistakes at the wrong time.  The narrative is that something "woke the offense up" during the 4th quarter.  In reality, I think we just figured out how to finish our drives.

I appreciate the well detailed post

we are just not good enough yet to consistently overcome multiple turnovers

There is a lot of truth to these posts.  But I also think the game plan that allowed the team to move the ball also created the turnover situations to some degree.  The four drives that ended in turnovers and the one that ended in  a safety, may have all also ended in punts. I am not sure that it is fair to assume they would have all resulted in moving the ball at will. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Haters gonna hate...and continue to skew his performances to meet their need to be right.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Only thing that I would criticize is coming out week 1 on the road with a pass-heavy attack seemed overly optimistic, risky, and unnecessary to secure a win.  It nearly cost us the game if not for the Jets poor kicking and the Moseley injury.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Face it, four turnovers in a game much less a half of a game = terrible.  I am as happy as anyone to have a W but the likelihood of getting one when you lode the turnover battle, especially a -4, is exceptionally slim.  If this game were to repeat the turnover situation 15 more times the Bills are vying for the first pick in the next draft.

And just how likely do you think it is that the Bills will repeat yesterday's TO situation 15 more times!?  My guess is that the way NFL karma works the Bills may be getting a couple of fortunate bounces going their way soon.

• Like (+1) 4

I was saying this as well.  I thought they executed very well in the first half.  A few correctable things like the turnovers and stupid/untimely penalties stunted their progress.

I have to admit, my mind was going into a dark place when the wheels came off briefly with the safety, TD, and circus 2PT... but other than that stretch, the Bills were far and away the better team.

• Like (+1) 5

This is where I think many of you are in the denial stages of BBFS.  You probably thought Tyrod was the answer too, like I did.  

I get everything you are saying, but results matter.  You don’t get a moral win for things you did right that don’t result in points.  If our defense didn’t play so well, most teams would have capitalized better on 4 turnovers.

Those mistakes negate the positives and typically lead to losses.  

Don’t confuse plays that give you hope as being better than results.  

Going 0-16, but losing every game by 3 points or less and having good stats still gets you fired.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

Only thing that I would criticize is coming out week 1 on the road with a pass-heavy attack seemed overly optimistic, risky, and unnecessary to secure a win.  It nearly cost us the game if not for the Jets poor kicking and the Moseley injury.

Or, it could have been a blow out if not for some lucky bounces for the Jets...

• Like (+1) 1

Bills quarterback Josh Allen’s first half of work against the Jets was the kind of stuff that usually leads to a lopsided loss.

He was intercepted twice, stripped of the ball on a sack and lost another fumble on a botched exchange with center Mitch Morse, but the Jets could only turn that good fortune into six points and the Bills found themselves with a chance to get back in the game down 16-0 in the third quarter.

Allen was 8-of-10 for 102 yards and a touchdown through the air in the fourth quarter and he ran for another touchdown as the Bills rallied for a 17-16 win on the road. Allen went over 250 passing yards for the first time in his career and head coach Sean McDermott said leading the comeback was a feather in the quarterback’s cap.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcdermott-sunday-win-resume-105823989.html

This is why you play the full 60 Minutes!!!! 

another fumble on a botched exchange

If you never touch the ball ... how can you fumble it?????  

the "fumble" s/b on Mitch Morse

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is where I think many of you are in the denial stages of BBFS.  You probably thought Tyrod was the answer too, like I did.  

I get everything you are saying, but results matter.  You don’t get a moral win for things you did right that don’t result in points.  If our defense didn’t play so well, most teams would have capitalized better on 4 turnovers.

Going 0-16, but losing every game by 3 points or less and having good stats still gets you fired.  

Maybe you are in denial that this might actually be a good team that suffered some fluke bounces and inopportune penalties that derailed possible scoring drives in that first half. Perhaps you stopped watching and missed the second half when they didn't make those mistakes?

Or missed the part where they won the game?

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What the hell is the point of this post?

Not everyone is emotionally and mentally weak as a fan.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Enough with the “Jets poor kicking cost them the game.”  The missed extra point was made up for by the later 2-point conversion (which Gase would not have attempted otherwise) and the Bills were robbed of a FG on the bogus taunting call in the first half.  The Nyets were badly outplayed.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Maybe you are in denial that this might actually be a good team that suffered some fluke bounces and inopportune penalties that derailed possible scoring drives in that first half. Perhaps you stopped watching and missed the second half when they didn't make those mistakes?

No, I’m saying that as great as they played in the 4th quarter, the first 3 quarters would have resulted in a loss to most other teams.  And that can’t be overlooked if we are going to be the team we expect to be 

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

What the hell is the point of this post?

Not everyone is emotionally and mentally weak as a fan.

By definition, we all are in our own way

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I appreciate the well detailed post

we are just not good enough yet to consistently overcome multiple turnovers

Doesn't make sense, we just did yesterday. In years past we definitely could not which is all the more impressive yesterday was. Just wait when our D starts forcing turn overs. It's gonna be an exciting year IMO.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Criminy........

Its not like we have a team with a completely new offensive line, completely new running back corp, completely new receiver corp, a promising project QB with 2 years of low level college competition and 10 NFL games under his belt - 9 of which with an awful cast....and this years O lineup is still 1-2 years away from having a complete compliment of starters...

Yes - of course signs of progress on the offensive side - on the road - in an opener -  in this case are good....The pats have been running the same O with the same coordinators with the same QB and very little turnover for almost twenty years.... 

Edited by TH3
  • Like (+1) 1