First Half wasn't as awful as everyone is saying

mjt328

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And what was the final?

I'm guessing you were a box score jockey yesterday?

Am I missing something here? It was our home opener, on the road, against a division rival, with a pretty good defense, that has played us tough over the last few years.  They played well outside of some mistakes in the first half, particularly when they needed to,  and WON.  Why does, what should be a pretty positive day on the Monday after a big win, have such a tone of doom and gloom from so many posters? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Glad that you learned a new word today.  

:rolleyes:

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Am I missing something here? It was our home opener, on the road, against a division rival, with a pretty good defense, that has played us tough over the last few years.  They played well outside of some mistakes in the first half, particularly when they needed to,  and WON.  Why does, what should be a pretty positive day on the Monday after a big win, have such a tone of doom and gloom from so many posters? 

Because their manufactured "Josh Allen is inaccurate" narrative was utterly crapped upon.

Can't have that.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

No, its that what you said is not hownthe real world works.  You don't get to choose what you like, either you score or you don't.  Moving the balls for 600 yards is nothing if you don't score.  Call it "flukie" or whatever you want, but they coughed up the ball and couldn't finish.  They managed 17 points for a whole game.  That is what LOSES most games.  Just because the Jets sucked more, doesn't mean you have a "great offense".

There is luck involved too.  Bills had at least half a dozen tipped passes - none happened to go to a teammate.  

The Jets had ONE - it happened to fall directly into a teammate's hands.  LUCK plays a part.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

No, its that what you said is not hownthe real world works.  You don't get to choose what you like, either you score or you don't.  Moving the balls for 600 yards is nothing if you don't score.  Call it "flukie" or whatever you want, but they coughed up the ball and couldn't finish.  They managed 17 points for a whole game.  That is what LOSES most games.  Just because the Jets sucked more, doesn't mean you have a "great offense".

Sorry man, you are gonna need more than 100 posts before I start engaging in this type of troll analysis (sorry, the analysis isn't smart, so I am assuming this is a troll job) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Sorry man, you are gonna need more than 100 posts before I start engaging in this type of troll analysis (sorry, the analysis isn't smart, so I am assuming this is a troll job) 

Sorry you can't handle the truth. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

So by the OP's logic, the plays you don't like, dont count.  Makes sense to me!  I guess the fact that 0 points went on the board doesn't matter at all.

By your logic, I guess the win doesn't count.  Just the fact we had 4 turnovers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

We moved the ball almost every drive....but they got stalled by penalties or turnovers. 

So thats a positive takeaway. 

Agreed.  Lots to build on, and beats the he** out of straight 3 and outs.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

In review of yesterday's game, I keep reading how terrible and ineffective the Bills offense was until the 4th Quarter.  I completely disagree.

Were they mistake prone and sloppy at times?  Absolutely.

But when you really break it down, the offense was consistently putting together strong drives for a good chunk of the day.

I agree with this part.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

On the day, the Bills had the ball a total of 12 times. 

- One possession was the kneel down at the half. 

- One possession was running out the clock at the end of the game.

- Then you have the Cole Beasley bounce (pretty much a fluke), which was returned for a touchdown.  This drive was one play.

- Then you have the safety (bad call by the refs), which also lasted one play.

That leaves 8 true possessions for the Bills offense.

1.  Drive #1 (7 plays, 37 yards):  They easily marched down the field to the Jets 26 yard line.  Then Dion Dawkins missed a block, resulting in the sack/strip.

2.  Drive #3 (9 plays, 35 yards):  Another drive into scoring position, until the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Jon Feliciano.

3.  Drive #4 (3 plays, 7 yards):  This was a really bad series, which also included the INT that was overturned by penalty.

4.  Drive #5 (9 plays, 58 yards):  Yet another very strong drive, ended by the botched snap on the QB sneak.

5.  Drive #6 (5 plays, 30 yards):  The offense was starting to move again.  Then we have the tipped pass, which was also intercepted.

6.  Drive #9 (9 plays, 50 yards):  Ended in our first 3 points of the day.

7.  Drive #10 (8 plays, 85 yards):  Touchdown

8.  Drive #11 (8 plays, 80 yards):  Touchdown

But yeah, as for this take - I agree with the folks who are pointing out that you seem to be discounting the drives you don't like.

When you look at the 1Q drive results "fumble...int....punt...punt...." - I'm sorry, you don't get to call it a "strong drive" when it fizzles.

What you can say is, yes, there are positives to build on, and if the Bills can move forward and get out of their own way, they can win

What you can't say is that "The Bills controlled the game on offense".

I mean, seriously?  If the fan of another team we beat came on here, and their offense was consistently stalled by turnovers and penalty but he said "our team controlled the ball on offense...we marched it down the field until we didn't...." we'd laugh, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Yes, national media including CBS coverage crews are lazy POS and love to go with the easy brainless take.

Rich Gannon was going on at length about #15 John Brown and how fast he is - when the Jets #15 caught the ball.  He was drunk all game or possible had a stroke.

I saw that!  I was like why is he talking about the Jets when he’s on the bills!

I only mentioned the graphic because Peterman last year had similar issues with batted passes and bad luck.  In no way am I saying Allen is Peterman.  They just compared how bad the start was to last year which I found to be astute given both being terrible starts with similar bad luck.

Again, I need a bigger sample size before I think Dabol is the answer here.  My issues wasn’t Allen, it was Dabol

Just now, mjt328 said:

By your logic, I guess the win doesn't count.  Just the fact we had 4 turnovers.

The win counts, but the fact that we had 4 drives stopped by turnovers and more by penalties or INT that was cancelled by penalty, counts too.  You can't say we "controlled the ball on offense" in those circs and call that logical thinking.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I understand your point, but they drove the field on every possession but two (the three and out and the safety).  If not for the turnovers (flukie turnovers), the Jets could not stop them.  I understand that an offense doesn't get the "great" tag when there are that many turnovers.  However, they moved the ball at will.  In the end, that is what "great" offenses do. 

Having been a Season Tix holder during the Glory Years, I’ve seen GREAT Bills  football, played by HOF players.

That era has been followed by endless stupid and losing error filled trailer trash this millennium. While we would always prefer that the Bills return to greatness, I’m just looking at the widgets in the NFL tables at week’s end. If they’re on the Left Side? ????? 

Just Win Baby!

But, I know greatness when I see it and it has been MIA in Bills’ uniforms for a looooooong time! I will chime in, once I see it.

I'm not a hater by any means, and I really appreciate the OP putting this together as it highlights positives that the Bills can and hopefully will build upon.  Some of Allen's INT's were not his fault.  The fumble/sack was.  He also got lucky.  The Jets dropped a pick right before our first FG/points of the game.  

All in all, the 1st half was as bad as it was.  Driving down the field to turn it over is BAD.  Good teams (Pats, Saints, Seattle, etc) don't do this.  It was a positive that we can move the ball, but we need to finish drives.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades as the saying goes.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The win counts, but I am not saying this was a good game, when it was clearly a horrible performance from both offenses.  I guess we could give the credit to the Bills O for actually scoring 25 points because Allen threw the touchdown to Mosley and Gore scored the safety, am I doing better now?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think there's a difference between 'doom and gloom' and saying that we were 'fortunate' to have won.  The Bills clearly looked the better team all day, but their game plan left them susceptible to week-1 mistakes, which is exactly what we saw.  Don't forget, our offense is made up of probably 75% new players.  So we still had to scramble to get the win in the 4th.  Without some very fortunate happenstances, this comeback wouldn't have been possible, and we'd be kicking ourselves.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RyanC883 said:

I'm not a hater by any means, and I really appreciate the OP putting this together as it highlights positives that the Bills can and hopefully will build upon.  Some of Allen's INT's were not his fault.  The fumble/sack was.  He also got lucky.  The Jets dropped a pick right before our first FG/points of the game.  

All in all, the 1st half was as bad as it was.  Driving down the field to turn it over is BAD.  Good teams (Pats, Saints, Seattle, etc) don't do this.  It was a positive that we can move the ball, but we need to finish drives.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades as the saying goes.  

Allen also had an INT overturned on a rather weak defensive holding call 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

AHH BBFS!!!!! I've been a fan since the 70s, They've been great some years, bad others, and mediocre others. What franchise can you not say that about?

NEWS FLASH: How YOU personally feel about the games has nothing to do with the outcome!

Just because for most of the last couple decades we've been bad, and you've just become a fan in that time, DOES NOT mean that they have to prove anything to you to be a good team.

LOGICALLY!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Allen also had an INT overturned on a rather weak defensive holding call 

Yes.  It's actually not Allen's scored INTs that bother me (I may change my mind when I look at the batted pass that was intercepted, but clearly some luck is involved there).

It's the INT that was overturned and the one that was dropped that bother me.  Those were bad QB decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

In review of yesterday's game, I keep reading how terrible and ineffective the Bills offense was until the 4th Quarter.  I completely disagree.

But when you really break it down, the offense was consistently putting together strong drives for a good chunk of the day.

- Then you have the Cole Beasley bounce (pretty much a fluke), which was returned for a touchdown.  This drive was one play.

1.  Drive #1 (7 plays, 37 yards):  They easily marched down the field to the Jets 26 yard line.  Then Dion Dawkins missed a block, resulting in the sack/strip.

2.  Drive #3 (9 plays, 35 yards):  Another drive into scoring position, until the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Jon Feliciano.

3.  Drive #4 (3 plays, 7 yards):  This was a really bad series, which also included the INT that was overturned by penalty.

4.  Drive #5 (9 plays, 58 yards):  Yet another very strong drive, ended by the botched snap on the QB sneak.

5.  Drive #6 (5 plays, 30 yards):  The offense was starting to move again.  Then we have the tipped pass, which was also intercepted.

Bottom line... On a snap-by-snap basis, I felt like the Bills controlled the game on both sides.  Defense was outstanding all day.  The offense had some really bad bounces and bad luck.  They had some really bad mistakes at the wrong time.  The narrative is that something "woke the offense up" during the 4th quarter.  In reality, I think we just figured out how to finish our drives.

Been saying the same thing, We moved the ball very well on all of our drives against a very good defense. Looking forward to this week. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Bottom line... On a snap-by-snap basis, I felt like the Bills controlled the game on both sides.  Defense was outstanding all day.  The offense had some really bad bounces and bad luck.  They had some really bad mistakes at the wrong time.  The narrative is that something "woke the offense up" during the 4th quarter.  In reality, I think we just figured out how to finish our drives.

He had a 64% completion rate. Beasely catches the pick he’s at 67.5%. Beasely catches the sideline pass JAs at 70%. 

Too many mental errors that will get cleaned up:

Beasely cuts in, JA throws out.

The outside screen where the receiver got immediately blown up. The other two receivers blocked the same DB and left the other one free.

Fumbled snap.

This O is still a work in progress and we saw a lack of continuity due to a bunch of new piece

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

AHH BBFS!!!!! I've been a fan since the 70s, They've been great some years, bad others, and mediocre others. What franchise can you not say that about?

NEWS FLASH: How YOU personally feel about the games has nothing to do with the outcome!

Just because for most of the last couple decades we've been bad, and you've just become a fan in that time, DOES NOT mean that they have to prove anything to you to be a good team.

LOGICALLY!!!!

Um, what's your point?  If they win, does that prove they're a good team?  Even if they win on the road by 1 point after 4 TO?

I mean, they don't have to prove it to me but it's quite well documented what happens the overwhelming majority of the time when a team has a -4 TO ratio: they lose.  So if they want to be a good football team, they need to clean up a bunch of stuff, can we agree on that?

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

Only thing that I would criticize is coming out week 1 on the road with a pass-heavy attack seemed overly optimistic, risky, and unnecessary to secure a win.  It nearly cost us the game if not for the Jets poor kicking and the Moseley injury.

But didn't everyone complain that McDermott was too conservative? Relying too much on the run? You can't please this fan base.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But didn't everyone complain that McDermott was to conservative? Relying too much on the run? You can't please this fan base.

Again...all these complaints are tangential. They're all rooted in one of two ACTUAL complaints:

1) Mahomes

2) Allen Draft Pick

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It wouldn't be TBD any other way man. The huge momentum building block win going into week 2 means nothing. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Yes, he "just missed" throwing a pick...but he also "just missed" a touchdown on that play, too.  Was a great break by the defender, but if that ball had a little more velocity, it's 6.  It's not like it was a horrible decision, he just didn't set his feet because he thought his arm could get it there.

Conversely, the Bills tipped several passes and Darnold threw a few that could have been picked, including the 2 pt conversion.  Results-based analysis only gets you so far.

Just now, Jobot said:

I think there's a difference between 'doom and gloom' and saying that we were 'fortunate' to have won.  The Bills clearly looked the better team all day, but their game plan left them susceptible to week-1 mistakes, which is exactly what we saw.  Don't forget, our offense is made up of probably 75% new players.  So we still had to scramble to get the win in the 4th.  Without some very fortunate happenstances, this comeback wouldn't have been possible, and we'd be kicking ourselves.

We just differ here. IMO, not only was I fine with the game plan, I think it was the RIGHT game plan. They moved the ball. In the 1st half, there were turnovers that were the result of bad bounces, there were turnovers that were the result of bad execution, and there were penalties that all derailed possible scoring drives. Any of them could have happened with a more conservative game plan. 

They did not turn the ball over and make those same mistakes and penalties in the second half and they won the game. Why do people choose to believe what happened in the first half defines this team or the coaching, rather than what happened in the second half?

The defense played great the whole game. I do not discount the turnovers or penalties on the part of the offense; however, looking past that in a more complex analysis: the offense moved the ball well all game, Allen made good decisions for the most part, was accurate with some very impressive throws, made some terrific calls at the line in reading the defense, and led them to a fourth quarter comeback. It was his twelfth game in the NFL and he has shown real improvement.

IMHO, I am fine with letting him air it out when game planning for a specific opponent calls for it. I believe it did yesterday. Maybe it wasn't that we were fortunate to come away with a win as much as the Jets were fortunate we din't blow them out?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

29 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

They managed 17 points for a whole game.  That is what LOSES most games.  Just

The Packers, a consensus SB contender put up 10 points in what was an equally hard to watch game.

Its the beginning of the season where O generally is behind D.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Again...all these complaints are tangential. They're all rooted in one of two ACTUAL complaints:

1) Mahomes

2) Allen Draft Pick

With all respect, Joe....Bad take here.

I watched and charted 80% of our plays last year (caveat I'm self-taught, so I'm not the best) and I have to say Daboll's play choices puzzled me at times.  I felt he got too cute and was like "no one will expect us to run this play on 3rd and 8 so that's what I'll call".  That sort of thing works when you've got an O that's a well-oiled machine.  With a rookie QB and scraps at OL not so much.  I'd think it's just me, but several guys here who really know their football, who actually coach and scout, have said similar at times.

I'd rather wait until I have the all-22 and can objectively go through each play, but I found Daboll's play calling very puzzling.  I can see why it makes abstract sense at a high level, but you can't stay at that level for practical good game calling with the actual personnel you've got on the field, both sides.

And I and several others with that view have no lasting bone about Mahomes or the Allen pick.  In fact I think the people who look at Mahomes and say "could have been ours" are cray-cray - Reid has his flaws as a post season coach but he's a marvelous play caller with a track record of developing QB to maximize their potential.  The strongest probability is that Mahomes would not look like that if he'd come here and been handed over to Dennison and whoever that was as our QB "coach".

• Like (+1) 2

Excellent post @mjt328.  The Bills are going to have a lot of good things to look at on film this week, and should also be able to identify where some things went wrong.  But the bottom line is that there is much to be optimistic about and the ongoing media narrative of "Josh had an awful first half" is way overblown.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Yes, he "just missed" throwing a pick...but he also "just missed" a touchdown on that play, too.  Was a great break by the defender, but if that ball had a little more velocity, it's 6.  It's not like it was a horrible decision, he just didn't set his feet because he thought his arm could get it there.

Conversely, the Bills tipped several passes and Darnold threw a few that could have been picked, including the 2 pt conversion.  Results-based analysis only gets you so far.

The defender was camped in front of the WR.  I don't think anyone believes  that was a "just missed" TD.    It was another "bad" throw by Allen.  This isn't Rodgers, Brees, etc. who you can say, "oh, random misplaced throw."   The 2 point conversion was a pinpoint throw by Darnold, not sure how that was luck.  That was a 5 year ago Big Ben type of play by Darnold.  

The Bills were a HOT MESS in the 1st half.  There is no way to sugarcoat it with "well, we almost didn't turn the ball over."  

The halftime adjustments were fantastic, but the 1st half was really, really bad. Including the play-call of handing it off in the endzone against the Jets D.  That should e a QB sneak to get it out of the danger zone there.  

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With all respect, Joe....Bad take here.

I watched and charted 80% of our plays last year (caveat I'm self-taught, so I'm not the best) and I have to say Daboll's play choices puzzled me at times.  I felt he got too cute and was like "no one will expect us to run this play on 3rd and 8 so that's what I'll call".  That sort of thing works when you've got an O that's a well-oiled machine.  With a rookie QB and scraps at OL not so much.  I'd think it's just me, but several guys here who really know their football, who actually coach and scout, have said similar at times.

I'd rather wait until I have the all-22 and can objectively go through each play, but I found Daboll's play calling very puzzling.  I can see why it makes abstract sense at a high level, but you can't stay at that level for practical good game calling with the actual personnel you've got on the field, both sides.

And I and several others with that view have no lasting bone about Mahomes or the Allen pick.  In fact I think the people who look at Mahomes and say "could have been ours" are cray-cray - Reid has his flaws as a post season coach but he's a marvelous play caller with a track record of developing QB to maximize their potential.  The strongest probability is that Mahomes would not look like that if he'd come here and been handed over to Dennison and whoever that was as our QB "coach".

Fair enough point. The All-22 is going to show you WR's open all over the field consistently for the Bills (for once) indicating a pass heavy offense should be called. Beasley alone could have been passed to every single down, he was open every play. The Jets secondary is not very good at all from what I saw yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The Packers, a consensus SB contender put up 10 points and one is an equally hard to watch game.

Its the beginning of the season where O generally is behind D.

The Bears D is the best in the NFL.  

The Jets have no secondary, and looked like the Bears D in the first half.  

Plenty of O around the NFL yesterday.  Ravens dropped 59, Tenn scored 43 on a good D, LA put up 30, PHL and Washington featured almost no D, DAL droped 35, even ARI and DET put up 27 each.  

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

The 2 point conversion was a pinpoint throw by Darnold, not sure how that was luck

:lol:

It was a desperation heave and yes, he saw Bell back there but to call that "pinpoint" is hilarious.  Darnold and Bell made a nice backyard play but let's not go overboard.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Fair enough point. The All-22 is going to show you WR's open all over the field consistently for the Bills (for once) indicating a pass heavy offense should be called. Beasley alone could have been passed to every single down, he was open every play. The Jets secondary is not very good at all from what I saw yesterday.

this is going to be very helpful going forward.  If Singletary can run the way he did, and Foster gets back, we have a very hard O to defend on paper.  Underneath routes, long bombs, and running game all available.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

:lol:

It was a desperation heave and yes, he saw Bell back there but to call that "pinpoint" is hilarious.  Darnold and Bell made a nice backyard play but let's not go overboard.

looked right on the money to me.  Right over the DB.  If that's not "pinpoint," then what is.  

No, they were not. There was a LOT of good mixed in with some bad execution, bad penalties, and bad luck. 

ask any NFL coach what a pick 6 and safety in the 1st half with 0 points are.  A hot mess might be the kindest think you'd hear them call it.  

No, they were not. There was a LOT of good mixed in with some bad execution, bad penalties, and bad luck. 

ITS LIKE PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THE INTERNET EXISTS TO LOOK AT THE STATS,

oops  

Time pf possession and passing yards ALL dominated by Buffalo up until the safety 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

looked right on the money to me.  Right over the DB.  If that's not "pinpoint," then what is.  

ask any NFL coach what a pick 6 and safety in the 1st half with 0 points are.  A hot mess might be the kindest think you'd hear them call it.  

How'd that incoming second half meltdown prediction work out for you?

Are you working on being negative about the win here?

• Haha (+1) 1