First Half wasn't as awful as everyone is saying

mjt328

I agree 100%. The offense just couldn’t get out of their own way yesterday. It’s nothing that the Jets we’re doing. They need to clean those things up, but I was encouraged for the most part.

Usually the biggest jump a team makes is from week 1 to week 2, so we will see. I’m just glad we got it together just in time because turning that L into a W could be huge come December.

9 hours ago, mjt328 said:

In review of yesterday's game, I keep reading how terrible and ineffective the Bills offense was until the 4th Quarter.  I completely disagree.

Were they mistake prone and sloppy at times?  Absolutely.

But when you really break it down, the offense was consistently putting together strong drives for a good chunk of the day.

On the day, the Bills had the ball a total of 12 times. 

- One possession was the kneel down at the half. 

- One possession was running out the clock at the end of the game.

- Then you have the Cole Beasley bounce (pretty much a fluke), which was returned for a touchdown.  This drive was one play.

- Then you have the safety (bad call by the refs), which also lasted one play.

That leaves 8 true possessions for the Bills offense.

1.  Drive #1 (7 plays, 37 yards):  They easily marched down the field to the Jets 26 yard line.  Then Dion Dawkins missed a block, resulting in the sack/strip.

2.  Drive #3 (9 plays, 35 yards):  Another drive into scoring position, until the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Jon Feliciano.

3.  Drive #4 (3 plays, 7 yards):  This was a really bad series, which also included the INT that was overturned by penalty.

4.  Drive #5 (9 plays, 58 yards):  Yet another very strong drive, ended by the botched snap on the QB sneak.

5.  Drive #6 (5 plays, 30 yards):  The offense was starting to move again.  Then we have the tipped pass, which was also intercepted.

6.  Drive #9 (9 plays, 50 yards):  Ended in our first 3 points of the day.

7.  Drive #10 (8 plays, 85 yards):  Touchdown

8.  Drive #11 (8 plays, 80 yards):  Touchdown

Bottom line... On a snap-by-snap basis, I felt like the Bills controlled the game on both sides.  Defense was outstanding all day.  The offense had some really bad bounces and bad luck.  They had some really bad mistakes at the wrong time.  The narrative is that something "woke the offense up" during the 4th quarter.  In reality, I think we just figured out how to finish our drives.

It wasnt awful in that the team was moving down the field.It was awful in that they were moving down the field and everything they did for alomst 3 quarters was squandered.Good QBs have to be mentally sharp enough to not let that happen. Moving the ball between the 20s only is a bad habit that many QBs have.

9 hours ago, Dr. K said:

This is the first half that I saw, too. The Bills moved the ball effectively on most drives until they shot themselves in the foot. The Jets played hard on defense and benefited from tipped passes or Bills miscues, but it wasn't because they stopped the Bills from moving the ball. 

Add in the bad field position the Bills had for most of their drive starts, and it's easy to over-react and say the offense did not work. Not to say they don't have to clean up those mishaps that they can clean up. They know that themselves, and I expect them to as the season progresses. 

Bills had 370 yards of offense and the Jets had 224. Without 4 turnovers the Jets would have been lucky to score any points.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Are you sure, OP? If so, then that is going to upset a number of posters. I read over and over, right here on this forum, that Daboll didn't know what he was doing and that Allen was so bad, that he was unwatchable...

Well that makes sense since some posts are so poorly written they are unreadable!

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The hot takes during the game are simply an accurate representation of the huge amount of WOOD alcohol consumed. 

Corrected.

• Haha (+1) 2