Dolphins Head coach Brian Flores 'wouldn't disrespect the game' by tanking

HOUSE

I’m still shocked at what they pulled on the Texans. 

Kenny Stills is not good. He’s a decent enough player, but he’s not a game breaker. And Tunsil hasn’t done a thing yet in the league. He’s big and strong and has good technique, but he’s not 2 1sts good and $50 million in guaranteed money good. 

Soon enough, the NFL will look more like the NBA. 

17 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Cleveland made all the right media moves. Big splash Heisman QB, upcoming young inventive HC, big name players on defense. 

But...

They’re still the Browns. They still play in Factory if Sadness, and there are far to many egos on that team for them to make a real run. 

Ill take McBeane’s approach any day of the week over what the media thinks. 

Agreed.

We were getting the same press when Rex came to town.

"Is this thing on? Cause it's gonna be."

Destroyed the Colts in the opener--it felt like the hype was justified.

It obviously came crashing down shortly thereafter.

I expect similar results in Cleveland. I would be very surprised if they finished above .500.

My gut feeling on that is a lesson I have learned (well, I have to relearn it every year) with the Patriots, as I am in the New England area myself: just because I know the name of a football player, it does not mean that they are good. And conversely, just because a unit can be made up of guys who look like they have been working at Target for the past year (and they very well may have been), does not mean that with good coaching and a good system, they can't be stars. 

It is not just New England that operates this way--Pit does as well, they just happen to be little brothers to the juggernaut that is New England.

But just look at James Conner: last season the talk was all about LeVeon Bell, no one was paying Conner any mind, he was an afterthought, someone who could never replace Bell's production. Now, he's one of the studs of the league at RB, and the media talks about him like it's a given that he's a star. 

I'm obviously not making any earth shattering points here, and like my father, I'm taking 1000 words to say what could be said in 100, but my only belabored point is this:

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami finishes with more wins than Cleveland this year.

But the addendum to that is, my surprise and 5 nickels will get you a quarter, so I also wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland won the Super Bowl this year.

Happy Labor Day all.

Shut up, Brian.  No one ever accused YOU of tanking.  To paraphrase the late, great Jerry Krause, “Coaches don’t tank football seasons.  Organizations do.”

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami finishes with more wins than Cleveland this year.

Wanna bet?

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Why would you have to tank when you just plain stink?

Thats exactly it! Why these thinly veiled attempts to please everybody's sensibility. Just admit that your team is a mess and you are selling out. Tell you what, if calling it tanking makes you uncomfortable, then you are free to call it something else.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Many, many, many here were calling it a tank the last time the Bills made the playoffs.  

The Bills were rebuilding, not tanking. Their defense was actually very good that year.  The Dolphins are tanking. They are trading away All-Pros and have no talent anywhere. They are essentially the Cleveland Browns. It worked for the Browns.  Maybe it will work for them.  Guessing they go 2-14. Maybe 1-15.

Edited by FUTURIST

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Many, many, many here were calling it a tank the last time the Bills made the playoffs.  

This is a great point.  

Tanking, to me, means the team is trying to lose.

I think what Miami is doing here and what Buffalo did two years ago was more of a preparation for the future ... a "PROCESS," if you will.

But the mindset wasn't, "okay, let's lose a shitload of games so we can get a top 3 pick," IMO.  I think it was, "let's see who we've got who can stick around as we build this team back up; let's play to win and hope for the best; but losing is not the end of the world - as long as we get something out of it."

I do think the Bills' season in 2017 was a fluke.  I also believe that the Dolphins will comfortably be in the double-digits for losses.  But I do not think Buffalo tanked; and since I was one of the people who DID accuse Buffalo of tanking, I am not going to jump to that conclusion with Miami.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

And the best part is, fans had the nerve to get mad at people like Jerry Sullivan for not writing positive articles about the team, and being optimistic.

Jerry Sullivan is a TROLL - worse than most of the trolls here.

He wrote negative articles constantly that often flew in the face of any logic.  He did this to drum up hits on his incendiary headlines.  He even admitted himself once he didn't necessarily believe his own crap.

The BEST PART is - some people don't get that he was TROLLING YOU

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is a great point.  

Tanking, to me, means the team is trying to lose.

I think what Miami is doing here and what Buffalo did two years ago was more of a preparation for the future ... a "PROCESS," if you will.

But the mindset wasn't, "okay, let's lose a shitload of games so we can get a top 3 pick," IMO.  I think it was, "let's see who we've got who can stick around as we build this team back up; let's play to win and hope for the best; but losing is not the end of the world - as long as we get something out of it."

I do think the Bills' season in 2017 was a fluke.  I also believe that the Dolphins will comfortably be in the double-digits for losses.  But I do not think Buffalo tanked; and since I was one of the people who DID accuse Buffalo of tanking, I am not going to jump to that conclusion with Miami.

I did not ever think that Buffalo tried to tank.  Their problem was sticking with Tyrod and trying to win as much as they could while rebuilding.  Then they were in the hunt for the playoffs (which they made) and made some moves like acquiring Kelvin Benjamin to try to help them get there.  Their purge was more about ridding the team of players that didn’t fit their systems than anything else.  Obviously they also purged a lot of contracts eating up cap space.  That wasn’t a tank.

Cleveland tanked.  Miami is tanking.  Both of those teams tore their rosters down to the studs, acquired as much future draft capital as they could and went from there.  And now that I think about it, Indy did a mini tank job for a season to get Luck by starting a garbage QB all season long.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In a gun battle, the guy with the knife wants to win the fight....but probably won’t since he’s ill equipped.

All the guy with the knife needs is a friend like Andy Dalton.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyGold said:

Agreed.

We were getting the same press when Rex came to town.

"Is this thing on? Cause it's gonna be."

Destroyed the Colts in the opener--it felt like the hype was justified.

It obviously came crashing down shortly thereafter.

I expect similar results in Cleveland. I would be very surprised if they finished above .500.

My gut feeling on that is a lesson I have learned (well, I have to relearn it every year) with the Patriots, as I am in the New England area myself: just because I know the name of a football player, it does not mean that they are good. And conversely, just because a unit can be made up of guys who look like they have been working at Target for the past year (and they very well may have been), does not mean that with good coaching and a good system, they can't be stars. 

It is not just New England that operates this way--Pit does as well, they just happen to be little brothers to the juggernaut that is New England.

But just look at James Conner: last season the talk was all about LeVeon Bell, no one was paying Conner any mind, he was an afterthought, someone who could never replace Bell's production. Now, he's one of the studs of the league at RB, and the media talks about him like it's a given that he's a star. 

I'm obviously not making any earth shattering points here, and like my father, I'm taking 1000 words to say what could be said in 100, but my only belabored point is this:

But the addendum to that is, my surprise and 5 nickels will get you a quarter, so I also wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland won the Super Bowl this year.

Happy Labor Day all.

With Pitt and NE, the QB makes the cogs turn.  Bills are solid contenders if we had either of those QBs. There are about 5 other NFL QBs that would make our Bills legit (Mahomes, Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, Brees).  Hopefully, JA becomes a QB mentioned with the best.  This Sunday at 4:30, we'll know a lot more.  Go Bills!!

37 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Jerry Sullivan is a TROLL - worse than most of the trolls here.

He wrote negative articles constantly that often flew in the face of any logic.  He did this to drum up hits on his incendiary headlines.  He even admitted himself once he didn't necessarily believe his own crap.

The BEST PART is - some people don't get that he was TROLLING YOU

How do you a troll an organization that goes 3-13, 8-8, 6-10, 9-7, 5-11, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 6-10, 4-12, 6-10, 6-10, 6-10, 9-7, 8-8, 7-9, 9-7, 6-10 from 2001-2018?  They barely won 41% of their games during those years.

I guess Jerry shoulda had more unicorns, fairys, and leprechauns for everyone to feel happy during that stretch. ;)