Dolphins Head coach Brian Flores 'wouldn't disrespect the game' by tanking

HOUSE

Image result for brian flores

Maybe the Dolphins know things no one else does. Or maybe the term tanking just rubs first-year coach Brian Flores the wrong way.

The Miami coach, offering what has become the company line despite parting ways with most of its veteran talent this offseason, reiterated Sunday that the team isn't actively looking to lose in 2019.

"This game means a lot to me," he said, per Adam H. Beasley of the Miami Herald. "I wouldn't disrespect the game with that. Again, no, we're not. We're going to try to win every game. I think that's disrespectful to even to say that. ... It's disheartening to hear people talk about it, to even say that. For a guy who respects the game as much as the game has done for me, when people say that, it's extremely sad."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001046023/article/brian-flores-wouldnt-disrespect-the-game-by-tanking

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 2

“I wouldn’t disrespect the game with that. Again, no, we’re not. We’re going to try to win every game. "

In fairness - there's a difference between tanking the off-season, and tanking the regular season.

Flores appears to be taking a narrow definition that only refers to how hard they will try to win (with the roster they have) during the season.

It's the reporter's fault for not grasping that and following up.

Btw - I think this was absolutely the right move for the Fish - they've had a good look at Rosen, and it was probably obvious to them he's not the answer at QB - so they need to get their franchise QB thought the draft - either next year or 2021.  This sets them up very well to try for that.

Miami got a lot of good value - Houston is going to regret this trade - horribly if Watson gets hurt (yet again).  Not having a GM to balance the Head Coach is bad.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 2

GM Grier:  “Here, Coach Flores, here’s the roster from the movie ‘Second String’.  You might not be tanking, but...”

EDIT:  Couldn’t the Dolphins just fire Flores, and hire Wrecks and Rob to do the ‘voodoo that they do so well’?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

That team is going 0-16

I actually think they'll pull out a few games with Fitz, but I don't see them winning more than 2 or 3 games at most. Then again, the jets were supposed to be the worst team in the NFL a few years ago and they won 6 games, so who knows 

54 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Shut the ***** up and be truthful for once. It's Ike they think the fans are stupid... 

I personally would love for them to be just good enough. That way they need to trade the world just to move up.

In all fairness, people said the same about Beane, McDermott, and the Bills two years ago. Beane had a similar reaction... and McDermott took the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The entire sporting world thinks Miami is tanking because they're running out a first year NFL coach and giving him a team led by Ryan Fitzpatrick and very limited talent at the skill positions.

In Buffalo, that was our situation for 3 straight seasons, in which we finished 4-12, 6-10, and 6-10. Then, we splurged on a .500 college coach from Syracuse, and drafted EJ Manuel as the savior.

Oh, and this was all taking place after a decade+ of failing to qualify for the playoffs.

And the best part is, fans had the nerve to get mad at people like Jerry Sullivan for not writing positive articles about the team, and being optimistic.

I'm thankful for the situation we have now, but you're going to have to excuse the national media if they're slow to warm to Buffalo. We have a very proven track record of being a joke of an organization.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

The entire sporting world thinks Miami is tanking because they're running out a first year NFL coach and giving him a team led by Ryan Fitzpatrick and very limited talent at the skill positions.

In Buffalo, that was our situation for 3 straight seasons, in which we finished 4-12, 6-10, and 6-10. Then, we splurged on a .500 college coach from Syracuse, and drafted EJ Manuel as the savior.

Oh, and this was all taking place after a decade+ of failing to qualify for the playoffs.

And the best part is, fans had the nerve to get mad at people like Jerry Sullivan for not writing positive articles about the team, and being optimistic.

I'm thankful for the situation we have now, but you're going to have to excuse the national media if they're slow to warm to Buffalo. We have a very proven track record of being a joke of an organization.

I feel like they warmed up to Cleveland very fast even if they trade for jokes like Beckham and have a head hunter like Landry and a domestic abuser like Kareem Hunt.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I feel like they warmed up to Cleveland very fast even if they trade for jokes like Beckham and have a head hunter like Landry and a domestic abuser like Kareem Hunt.  

Cleveland made all the right media moves. Big splash Heisman QB, upcoming young inventive HC, big name players on defense. 

But...

They’re still the Browns. They still play in Factory if Sadness, and there are far to many egos on that team for them to make a real run. 

Ill take McBeane’s approach any day of the week over what the media thinks. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Best Non Tanking job i've seen...lol....actually got to give them some credit...they did quite the fleece job to the dumb texans no doubt.....

Edited by JPP
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Not debating any of your valid points, but should WNY consider trading Sullivan to a media outlet in Dade County?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I can accept that Flores is going to do his best to win every game.  The problem from Miami fans is that when it comes to personnel decisions, Miami's management is doing their best to try and lose every game.  So, they are tanking despite the best efforts of Flores and the scrubs who are left on the Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 3