JOSH ALLEN post game thread

rayray808

He missed two throws early, I thought, the pick broke a cardinal rule, but that’s arm arrogance for you. At times people are gonna love it. 

Pass that beasley coughed up was an absolute strike as was the first to Brown. Second was perfect accuracy on a crosser brown didn’t need any adjustment. 

Either the coaching staff is very confident in where Josh is at or we missed a opportunity last night to get him more ready.  Run run pass all night was a waste of time.  Do Gore and Shady really need any work?  How are you going to work on the run game if you are on the #3 center and your RT is not playing either? Well one good thing is all the Josh haters get to vent

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

No I just don't want someone to come out of the woodworks and say, "YOUR ONLY SAYING THIS BECAUSE YOU HATE HIM", because I am not afraid to say, yes, I didn't like the pick at all.

I don't even think he had a bad night, just really one horrific play that I don't ever need to see again. 

Situational football. It was 2nd and 4, throw it away, they teach that in high school. Nobody even mentioned Sam Darnold so I have no idea where that came from. That was a Jamarcus Russell level bad play. Josh can't do that, period. 

I'm fine, maybe you should calm down. 

Marino, Elway, Montana, Manning, none of the greats have "EVER" thrown a "BAD" interception; only Josh Allen. Most serious football fans do not get wrapped around the axle like you seem to be!

9 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Either the coaching staff is very confident in where Josh is at or we missed a opportunity last night to get him more ready.  Run run pass all night was a waste of time.  Do Gore and Shady really need any work?  How are you going to work on the run game if you are on the #3 center and your RT is not playing either? Well one good thing is all the Josh haters get to vent

Yup!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

We saw a guy like Farve throw similar passes late in his career - simply because he always thought his arm would win

yeah but Brett was good enough to make up for it and win. JP Losman and EJ and Fitz used to do this kind of stuff too and never got to the Favre level. We'll see.  Time will tell.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

He made some positive plays early. That scramble on the first series when we were backed up was what gave Zay the opportunity to forget to look for the ball. At first I thought Allen might have gone early but after watching it again I agree it's 100% on Zay.

Allen made two drive killing mistakes in his first four possessions. His teammates messed up on the other ones. Offense needs better starts if this team is going to be good. Actual game planning will obviously help. 

Is the int that was called back because of the roughing considered one of the drive killing penalties?  Or was there another play.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh was a bit off in a pre-season game where the gameplan was intentionally not designed to help him. It was not a good performance but it is far from a legitimate cause for panic. He looked good games 1 and 2 in an offense that suits him. 

You get out of here with that logic and reason!  Heretic!

9 hours ago, Sunshower said:

Allen looked terrible. I’m still a fan but he had a bad game.

This is incorrect ? he made a horrible decision on one play. He missed two throws one to Zay and one to Beasley. He threw some nice passes also. Total exaggeration that he had a bad game.

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

And how did Allen respond after that one horrific play? Because that’s the true measure, imo; how a QB responds to adversity, which is what the game, especially the QB position, is all about. 

Yes, we don’t want to see Allen make unwise plays. 

But I want to see him respond like he did every single time.

Alright. I'll be that guy. He responded well in terms of his disposition. The kid is a competitor and has everything you look for personality wise. But he completed one additional pass. They ran the ball all night, so it's a tiny sample size. No need to make it a bigger issue than it is. But it wasn't a good night. There were only the 6 pass attempts as their game plan was clearly to work on the run game. But had he converted on third down, he would have had more opportunities. Tough to get attempts when you're going three and out. It's not the end of the world. He didn't have a good night by any objective measure. What it means going forward is very little. There's just no reason to sugarcoat it. It's not GOOD, but it's not that serious.

Edited by LSHMEAB

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

LOL.  The old "other people make mistakes too so Allen's mistakes are OK" attempt at validating poor play.

This is a logical fallacy and should not be repeated by anyone.

You know who never makes that throw?  Tom Brady.  He is almost robotic in how he will throw the ball away to kill a play that obviously blew up or was never going to work in the first place.  He understands to just kill it before it becomes anything worse, and then you try again on the next play.

Surprising a kid as seemingly bright as Allen doesn't understand  that yet.

Sir.  I'm not trying to validate poor play.

I was just trying to give some perspective to poor evaluators.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Alright. I'll be that guy. He responded well in terms of his disposition. The kid is a competitor and has everything you look for personality wise. But he completed one additional pass. They ran the ball all night, so it's a tiny sample size. No need to make it a bigger issue than it is. But it wasn't a good night. There were only the 6 pass attempts as their game plan was clearly to work on the run game. But had he converted on third down, he would have had more opportunities. Tough to get attempts when you're going three and out. It's not the end of the world. He didn't have a good night by any objective measure. What it means going forward is very little. There's just no reason to sugarcoat it. It's not GOOD, but it's not that serious.

Nobody is sugarcoating anything. 

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I love that you say he was showing growth throughout training camp and the preseason; however, you are reacting to not seeing any growth. Which is it?

Or did, as I suspect, one throw in his third preseason game erase everything and convince you he hasn't grown.

If so, then that is what you WANT to see.

In the traditional dress rehearsal game of the preseason against a a team's number one D he reverted back to his college hero ball. Unlike you I didn't find it a good sign. If you think that's better decision making, there's not much I can say to you. 

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They won last night

Well how nice. Let's keep that formula and see how the real season goes.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You bring up fitz but he was a gunslinger with average NFL arm strength

Josh has one of the strongest arms in NFL history and makes throws others couldn't dream

True, let's hope he learns when not to pull the trigger and when to let it rip.

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

In the traditional dress rehearsal game of the preseason against a a team's number one D he reverted back to his college hero ball. Unlike you I didn't find it a good sign. If you think that's better decision making, there's not much I can say to you. 

They attempted 6 passes the entire first half.

Relax.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

True, let's hope he learns when not to pull the trigger and when to let it rip.

Balance is the key to everything in life

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Balance is the key to everything in life

Aye, agree. Just want the kid to grow and be the guy. All I said is that it was a bone head pass that I hope he doesn't do in a real game and the Greek chorus of TBD christened him Brett Farve. 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They attempted 6 passes the entire first half.

Relax.

Happy to if he learns from this.

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Aye, agree. Just want the kid to grow and be the guy. All I said is that it was a bone head pass that I hope he doesn't do in a real game and the Greek chorus of TBD christened him Brett Farve. 

Brett Favre had one of the best arms of all time and made tons of boneheaded mistakes

Josh Allen is far from Favre..  but the way the ball comes out of his hand IS different

There's alot of promise, needs to keep grinding

5 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

My guess is that he is far less concerned about it than you. Actually, I think everyone is probably less concerned about it than you.

BTW, I hope your ability to relax isn't really tied to what Josh Allen learns or doesn't learn.

Cheers

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Brett Favre had one of the best arms of all time and made tons of boneheaded mistakes

Josh Allen is far from Favre..  but the way the ball comes out of his hand IS different

There's alot of promise, needs to keep grinding

Well we agree.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

My guess is that he is far less concerned about it than you. Actually, I think everyone is probably less concerned about it than you.

BTW, I hope your ability to relax isn't really tied to what Josh Allen learns or doesn't learn.

Cheers

My guess is the coaches are not blase about it. And right now I'm on the St. Lawrence River with a scotch and Montecristo Churchill and relaxing just fine thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

Matt Barkley has been in the league long enough he has learned to take what the oppositions D gives you. Barkley is decisive, throwing with good anticipation and accuracy. So decisive his lower velocity throws have become a non factor IMO.

I say all this not as a knock on Allen, but as a compliment to the QB position because If Josh Allen can learn to play in the Daboll system as well as Barkley we have our franchise QB.

Barkley on the other hand is looking more like a starter in the NFL then backup which could translate to good trade value down the line. (IMO)

I'm not trying to start a QB controversy because there is none... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

entire season depends on his accuracy and his judgment. no pressure.

24 minutes ago, Figster said:

Matt Barkley has been in the league long enough he has learned to take what the oppositions D gives you. Barkley is decisive, throwing with good anticipation and accuracy. So decisive his lower velocity throws have become a non factor IMO.

I say all this not as a knock on Allen, but as a compliment to the QB position because If Josh Allen can learn to play in the Daboll system as well as Barkley we have our franchise QB.

Barkley on the other hand is looking more like a starter in the NFL then backup which could translate to good trade value down the line. (IMO)

I'm not trying to start a QB controversy because there is none... 

barkley has looked  great since being here. very pleasant surprise. Josh has a lot to learn.And he could learn a lot from barkley.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Tcali said:

entire season depends on his accuracy and his judgment. no pressure.

barkley has looked  great since being here. very pleasant surprise. Josh has a lot to learn.And he could learn a lot from barkley.

thats what I'm thinking Tcali, 

J A has lots of weapons around him now with good protection, (good advice on the sidelines)

MERCY!!!

This New Era Buffalo Bills football team packs a punch!!!

Edited by Figster