JOSH ALLEN post game thread

rayray808

Andrew Lucks retirement was sad for me.  I'm sure many felt the same way. So much potential. So many unanswered dreams.

Myself personally, I've never been more sure about a player destined for greatness coming out of college then Andrew Luck.

Lets not have this happen to our prodigy...

23 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Man the Chicken Littles are squawking hard today.  How easily we forget the last official “game”  Allen played in, he scored 5 touchdowns with half the team.   Chill out and let’s see how the team performs when the games (not scrimmages) count!

So all commentary at this forum should immediately be postponed until the regular season is upon us, huh?

Got it!  Thanks!

18 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

And right now I'm on the St. Lawrence River with a scotch and Montecristo Churchill and relaxing just fine thanks.

Man. You're on the St Lawrence River drinking scotch and Montecristo Churchill and you took the time out to grab your phone and check TBD? I don't know brother. I like the dedication, but I think you gotta switch something up. Just sayin.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Man. You're on the St Lawrence River drinking scotch and Montecristo Churchill and you took the time out to grab your phone and check TBD? I don't know brother. I like the dedication, but I think you gotta switch something up. Just sayin.

Well the cigar and scotch (14 year old Talisker) are the joys, the Bills are an addiction!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, Green Lightning said:

You must miss Fitzy then. Hey if you think that was a smart throw, and accurate throw and an acceptable risk, then we just view the game very differently.  I prefer to win for once. Josh should learn the rules first before knowing when to break them. 

Where did he say it was a smart throw? Where did he say he didn’t want to win?

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I have to be in the mood for Talisker, but when I am, the brinyness is so welcomed.

Spot on. I brought Talisker, 18 year old Macallen and a few bourbons to pass the time. Sometimes I am in a peaty mood. Lately I have had a taste for Spanish Vermoot as well. It doesn't suck.

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Where did he say it was a smart throw? Where did he say he didn’t want to win?

You're late to the game friend. Read all before throwing down.

5 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Spot on. I brought Talisker, 18 year old Macallen and a few bourbons to pass the time. Sometimes I am in a peaty mood. Lately I have had a taste for Spanish Vermoot as well. It doesn't suck.

You're late to the game friend. Read all before throwing down.

Lately it's been all rum for me. Except for yesterday--I was hosting a Japanese-themed birthday party, so I went with Hibiki 17.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Lately it's been all rum for me. Except for yesterday--I was hosting a Japanese-themed birthday party, so I went with Hibiki 17.

Which blew me away. I went to Whisky Fest in NYC a few years back and a few  Japanese "Scotch" (can't really call it that but it is) offerings were just amazing. I've just started getting into rum and tequila and have been really intrigued by them but have much to learn. Port a d Spanish sherry are other weaknesses. I need another life to sample it all! 

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Which blew me away. I went to Whisky Fest in NYC a few years back and a few  Japanese "Scotch" (can't really call it that but it is) offerings were just amazing. I've just started getting into rum and tequila and have been really intrigued by them but have much to learn. Port a d Spanish sherry are other weaknesses. I need another life to sample it all! 

If you get a chance, there's a Taiwanese whiskey called Kavalan that's absolutely incredible.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:29 PM, Green Lightning said:

The jury is still out on Josh. I like to see him succeed but how about follow the rules before learning when to break them.

I've been reading your posts, and disagreeing with all of them.   This one really goes to the heart of the matter. 

You have this exactly backward.   You don't learn the rules, then learn to break them.   You break the rules and suffer the consequences.   That's how you learn. 

You think Josh doesn't know it's dangerous to throw late over the middle?   Of course he knows, just like a kid know he's not supposed to play with matches.  If the kid doesn't ever play with matches, he'll never learn how to use matches. 

If Josh never throws late over the middle, he will never learn when to do it and when not.   Making that throw in preseason is exactly the time to make that throw.  He's a second year guy trying to figure out what he's seeing in the defensive backfield.  By making that throw when he did, he learned something. 

Second year qbs are going to make mistakes.  That's how they learn. 

The difference between good and great, in this sense, is this: the good QB is good because he never throws INTs over the middle late, and he does that by never throwing over the middle late.   The great QB is great because he knows when to over the middle late and when not to.  He only learns when he can do it by trying it and failing sometimes.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Always have respected your takes as reasoned and thoughtful. And by and large I agree with you. But that throw was Fitzy-esque and doomed from the get-go. The coaches have been working on him on decision making and I was disappointed in seeing that. Still am, particularly at that point in the game and that down and distance. So I stand by my posts and hope he learns from it.

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If you get a chance, there's a Taiwanese whiskey called Kavalan that's absolutely incredible.

As soon as I am back from St. Lawrence haven I will do just that and report back! Thank you.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:46 AM, CincyBillsFan said:

The fixation by some posters on Allen's bad across the body throw would be wrong headed if this was the regular season and the INT hadn't been cancelled by a penalty.  That it's happening after a meaningless preseason game is bizzare to me.  As others have noted Allen channel's Favre in this respect.  Hopefully he'll be as good as Favre but that remains to be seen.  But every once in a while he's going to do this kind of thing.  And over the course of a season he may get picked once or twice throwing that ball but I suspect you'll also see a couple of huge gains off this type of throw.

Last night the only truly awful decision/throw Allen had was the INT. 

*  His first pass was on the money to Jones.  His 2nd pass wasn't a good throw but it was the right decision to target Beasley and it wasn't a horrible throw.

*  His 3rd pass was a dime to Beasley that unfortunately he fumbled. 

*  His 5th throw to Brown was on target and a good decision that was broken up by an excellent pass defense play.

*  His last 2 throws to Brown, after he was allowed to throw on 1st down and out of the shotgun, were both excellent and went for long gains and 1st downs.  Allen also had a nice run for a 1st down as he led the Bills on a 95 yard TD drive to take the lead at the end of the half.

All in all a pedestrian performance with a flash of brilliance in that last drive.  That 2 minute drive is what Bills fans should focus on and be encouraged by.  Instead some choose to focus only on the bad INT.

That's pretty much what I saw. 

I think Jones was too late to get his head around and it made it look like a worse pass than it was - although he was blanketed and not necessarily the best decision to throw there.  I think this is a consistent thing with Jones - he is just not good enough at getting his head around, adjusting his body and winning balls.  He's fine with space and time, but the NFL doesn't afford much of either.

I think the throw to Beasley that was incomplete was a little too early or Beasley didn't think it would be out that fast - can't really tell, but I'm sure they will work that out - they seem to be pretty much on the same page.

The play calling was not great, but as you mention they totally changed up the game plan from the first two weeks focusing more on the run game, which when you put yourself into obvious passing downs is not ideal for getting in rhythm passing when the only time you throw is when you have to. 

I'm hoping the Bills are more open in their actual playcalling during the regular season -  I think it benefits Allen to be afforded a chance to miss a throw, as it does most QBs.  The running game will be even more opened up if they can pass effectively and give shady the space he needs to do what he does best.

The INT was a bad throw - and one that he knew he shouldn't have thrown

• Like (+1) 1