JOSH ALLEN post game thread

rayray808

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The throw was ugly but it's preseason

That IS the time to take some stupid risks and see what happens. Now he knows it doesn't fly in an NFL game

But that in essence is who Josh Allen is , a gunslinger who doesn't like to let plays die. I expect he will do that again in his career

So did Favre

I hope in November we're seeing more Favre, and less Cutler.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, H2o said:

You knew the Billspolar would be out in full force after this game. After a good performance, "I love this team. Josh is gonna be a HOF'er." After a not so good one, "I hate this team. We're gonna suck this year. Who are we picking? Tua, Herbert, or Fromm?" 

Step away from the ledge people. 

But , but , but isn’t  part of  being a Bills fan comes with ( your own ) ledge and a bag of misery ??? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Not sure you want to die on that hill...

That INT that was posted was Favre in his 48th season.

Farve earned  that right, Allen hasn't shown enough smart passes to the warrant boneheads passes. That pass by any measure was stupid. Let him get a couple championships under his belt before he starts slinging rocks for fun.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Farve earned  that right, Allen hasn't shown enough smart passes to the warrant boneheads passes. That pass by any measure was stupid. Let him get a couple championships under his belt before he starts slinging rocks for fun.

First off Farve was making those types of bone head throws from his 1st preseason game as a rookie until his last game in the NFL.  He didn't earn the right to do it, it was in his football DNA just like it's in Allen's.  What Farve did though was refine & improve his game to the point where he was able to overcome the mistakes he made from being a gunslinger.

And if Allen actually can attain the level of play that Farve did I would be the happiest Bills fan in America.  We couldn't ask for more.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

One thing I've learned about bills fans is that half of them or more are utterly risk averse. 

Josh should take risks, that's who he is. But when it's2nd and 4 in our end of the field and he lobs up a goose egg like that that's not acceptable. That's not a risk that was just stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone seems overly focused on the INT which was brutal but it was his overall start to the game that makes me nervous. He wasn't great to start game one and even though his stats were solid in game two he was off target on some easy throws (Beasley/Shady) out of the gate.

This is the same trend from last year. Lots of times Allen is able to overcome it and find his rhythm later in the game but the frequent shaky starts are worrisome and probably a bigger sign that something isn’t quite right than Josh making the occasional horrible throw across his body into triple coverage.

Edited by VW82

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First off Farve was making those types of bone head throws from his 1st preseason game as a rookie until his last game in the NFL.  He didn't earn the right to do it it was in his football DNA just like it's in Allen's.  What Farve did though was refine & improve his game to the point where he was able to overcome the mistakes he made from being a gunslinger.

And if Allen actually can attain the level of play that Farve did I would be the happiest Bills fan in America.  We couldn't ask for more.

Maybe, but I doubt the game situation Farve was in wasn't 2nd and 4 with nothing on the line and at a time you're supposed to be showing your growth in making better decisions. Defend it all you want, it was a terrible decision and he needs to stop it.

10 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Maybe, but I doubt the game situation Farve was in wasn't 2nd and 4 with nothing on the line and at a time you're supposed to be showing your growth in making better decisions. Defend it all you want, it was a terrible decision and he needs to stop it.

I watched a lot of Farve over the years and he would make that kind of bone head pass on 1st & 2nd down all the time.  he also converted some spectacular plays throwing the ball back across the field. 

12 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Everyone seems overly focused on the INT which was brutal but it was his overall start to the game that makes me nervous. He was flat out bad to start game one and even though his stat line looked good in game two he was off target on some easy throws (which Beasley made great catches on) out of the gate in that one too.

This is the same trend from last year. Lots of times Allen is able to overcome it and find his rhythm later in the game but the frequent shaky starts are worrisome.

I'm not worried.  I watched Mahomes the other night in his 2nd game and he looked off hitting on only 2 of 5 passes while I watched and one of his completions was a crappy throw that the TE made a nice adjustment to catch.

Allen looked very sharp in his 2nd possession against the Colts and looked sharp in both of his possessions against the Panthers.  And the only time the coaches let the Bills run their offense, Allen looked very sharp leading them on a 95 yard two minute TD drive.

For some reason we hold Allen to a higher standard on his ball placement while holding our receivers to lower standards on their catching ability.  Other QB's throw the ball real hard and it's caught and the top QB's routinely put the ball in the vicinity of their receivers rather then placing it perfectly on the numbers.  In just the last 2 weeks of watching football I've see the top QB's make throws that were not perfectly placed only to have their NFL caliber receivers still catch the ball. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

If that one throw had worked in a positive way...we would have all been talking about his growth.

PRESEASON PEOPLE! R-e-l-a-x

Josh is going to have these moments in the reg season too...

Yep.  Don’t remember seeing the critics when he threw across his body to Ivory and Shady last year for huge gains.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Josh should take risks, that's who he is. But when it's2nd and 4 in our end of the field and he lobs up a goose egg like that that's not acceptable. That's not a risk that was just stupid.

He didn't "lob up a goose egg." It wasn't a bad throw and it was actually accurate. He saw his receiver breaking toward the middle and never saw the linebacker dropping back. Generally speaking, you do not want your QB to throw back toward the middle when he is scrambling outside the pocket and off balance. However, I have watched most QBs in this league make the exact same kind of throw. Sometimes they work, most times they don't. Not the best decision; but, IMO, the hyperbole in the reactions to that throw on this board are ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

that's the throw a wide eyed rookie makes...but not a 2nd year qb...

Or a 40 year old future HOFer.

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He didn't "lob up a goose egg." It wasn't a bad throw and it was actually accurate. He saw his receiver breaking toward the middle and never saw the linebacker dropping back. Generally speaking, you do not want your QB to throw back toward the middle when he is scrambling outside the pocket and off balance. However, I have watched most QBs in this league make the exact same kind of throw. Sometimes they work, most times they don't. Not the best decision; but, IMO, the hyperbole in the reactions to that throw on this board are ridiculous.

I pretty much agree. 

For those that don't like the throw, you are just going to have to learn to deal with it. I fully expect to see it every season from Allen throughout his career. It's just how he plays. I'm  fine with it. Take the good with the bad when it comes with Allen. As long as he producing far more good than bad he will stick around and have a nice career.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Heitz said:

I liked the part where he yelled "Ahhhhh that's bulls*t!" when Gore was hit late OOB...  :beer: 

I thought it was Allen at first as well even though it sounded like McD. I went back and you can see McD in the background giving the ref the business.

• Like (+1) 1

The pass to Beasley (that he fumbled) on third and long was beautiful

Two ugly passes were an out to Beasley, the ball was behind and very low, timing route that didn't work. The rub/pick to Zay was a bullet, Zay didn't have a chance.

The int that wasn't because of a weak roughing the passer penalty, shouldn't have happened. He was being pressured going backwards, really bad decision.

He looked sharp on the TD drive to end the half.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You must miss Fitzy then. Hey if you think that was a smart throw, and accurate throw and an acceptable risk, then we just view the game very differently.  I prefer to win for once. Josh should learn the rules first before knowing when to break them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The fixation by some posters on Allen's bad across the body throw would be wrong headed if this was the regular season and the INT hadn't been cancelled by a penalty.  That it's happening after a meaningless preseason game is bizzare to me.  As others have noted Allen channel's Favre in this respect.  Hopefully he'll be as good as Favre but that remains to be seen.  But every once in a while he's going to do this kind of thing.  And over the course of a season he may get picked once or twice throwing that ball but I suspect you'll also see a couple of huge gains off this type of throw.

Last night the only truly awful decision/throw Allen had was the INT. 

*  His first pass was on the money to Jones.  His 2nd pass wasn't a good throw but it was the right decision to target Beasley and it wasn't a horrible throw.

*  His 3rd pass was a dime to Beasley that unfortunately he fumbled. 

*  His 5th throw to Brown was on target and a good decision that was broken up by an excellent pass defense play.

*  His last 2 throws to Brown, after he was allowed to throw on 1st down and out of the shotgun, were both excellent and went for long gains and 1st downs.  Allen also had a nice run for a 1st down as he led the Bills on a 95 yard TD drive to take the lead at the end of the half.

All in all a pedestrian performance with a flash of brilliance in that last drive.  That 2 minute drive is what Bills fans should focus on and be encouraged by.  Instead some choose to focus only on the bad INT.

1 minute ago, Jerboski said:

I agree with some of this, but come on man that first throw to jones had way too much heat on it and wasn't placed on the back shoulder like it was designed. The second throw to beasley was a good decision but way behind him, lucky it wasn't picked if the corner had proper position.

The ball that should have been picked was an awful decision, plain and simple 

The bullet to beasley was a great pass, best one of the night. He had a really good two minute drill as well

All in all, not a great performance or even good but was saved by the two minute drill, the coaching staff didn't so him any favors though with playcalling 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Does anyone care that he made that same throw last year for big completions in 3 different games--2 of which were for 50+ yards?

Yes, it's a throw he needs to learn not to force, but it's also a club that he should keep in his bag.

Good point, those were awesome when he completed it. 

31 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

For some reason we hold Allen to a higher standard on his ball placement while holding our receivers to lower standards on their catching ability.  Other QB's throw the ball real hard and it's caught and the top QB's routinely put the ball in the vicinity of their receivers rather then placing it perfectly on the numbers.  In just the last 2 weeks of watching football I've see the top QB's make throws that were not perfectly placed only to have their NFL caliber receivers still catch the ball. 

The difference is we've seen it pop up and be problem in the real games more for Allen than those other guys so it's harder to ignore. There are reasons for optimism too (I still think he's got something cooking with Beasley) but so far he's very up and down. 

• Like (+1) 1

Heck, I'm happy Allen threw that int.  Its good negative reinforcement in a preseason game.  As far as the rest of the game, Allen did not look that good but the entire game plan was blah.  Not many QB's are going to have a great night when they only throw 6-7 passes. Barkley gets to throw 14 passes.  Bills didn't get off to a good start, had a few bad penalties, the Beasley fumble stopped a drive and the offense couldn't get any rhythm going.  That was how this team looked at the beg. of last year.  The last drive of half Bills had some good plays but were also significantly helped by some penalties but they came out much more determined.  So really a poor first half offensively all the way around and gives them all something to work on the next 2 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1