Sign in to follow this  
Hapless Bills Fan

New Era "Return of the Blue and Red" Practice 8/2 night

This is good to see:

3. Buy yourself some Tommy Sweeney stock

Tommy Sweeney made another highlight-caliber play Friday night when the Bills first team offense was trying to beat the clock in a four-minute drill.

Allen heaved one up to Sweeney, who was battling double coverage from Dean Marlowe and Matt Milano near the goal line, and he went up and outmuscled both defenders to make the play. Sweeney is taking full advantage of the opportunity presented to him with all three top tight ends on the roster - Tyler Kroft, Dawson Knox and Jason Croom - rehabbing injuries.

“It had to be a ball that was caught so I gave him a chance and he went out there and made a play,” Allen recalled. “It’s good to see that from a rookie and he’s had a really good camp so far. We’re down on tight ends a little bit and he stepped up and at such a young age it’s good to see that.”

All I've heard about Sweeney throughout training camp is that he catches everything. With all the injuries at TE it would be nice if he becomes a diamond in the rough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CNY315 said:

Taking nothing away from Oliver, but that was more of a case of Wesley sucking at technique than it was Oliver doing something amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m so glad we went out got receivers that can catch...it seems our younger guys are still having issues holding onto the ball...I would not be surprised if 1st round WR is in the cards for 2020...if Zay and Foster can’t cut it, the top group MUST be solidified for JA.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m so glad we went out got receivers that can catch...it seems our younger guys are still having issues holding onto the ball...I would not be surprised if 1st round WR is in the cards for 2020...if Zay and Foster can’t cut it, the top group MUST be solidified for JA.

WR class in 2020 is very good from all accounts.

Still thought they should've addressed this more this past offseason. 

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Smith not going nowhere.  You don't guarantee $4.9M of a guy's contract if you might not keep him.

Should I be embarrassed that I didn't even know we had a Nate Becker on the team?

• Haha (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

rome wasn't built in a day. next off season should also continue to add the needed (addressed past 2 off seasons-QB, OL,TE, RB) pieces to the offense.

Elite receivers in 2020 NFL Draft fit perfectly in timeline of the Buffalo Bills

This team is close to getting back to becoming real contenders in the AFC. Landing a legitimate number one target in the passing game just might be the final piece that could take them over the top.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We brought in John Brown and Cole Beasley.  We signed Tyler Kroft and drafted Dawson Knox/Tommy Sweeney.  We could’ve drafted a WR, but it would’ve been another young #2/3 type, when we already have two of those guys on this team in Zay & Foster. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Josh Allen’s best attribute (arm strength) is a direct cause of his worst (accuracy)?

when you see touch passes like the one above, you can see how hard he has to work to take power of the ball. Its kinda crazy to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd be interested to know what more you think Beane should have done, or what he should have done differently.  I think he brought in a ton of possibilities, as well as a few imminent starters (via draft and FA).

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'd be interested to know what more you think Beane should have done, or what he should have done differently.  I think he brought in a ton of possibilities, as well as a few imminent starters (via draft and FA).

The only guy I thought was MAYBE a better option in FA than Brown was Tyrell Williams, I thought that Beane did about as well as he could have considering who was realistically available.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Josh Allen’s best attribute (arm strength) is a direct cause of his worst (accuracy)?

when you see touch passes like the one above, you can see how hard he has to work to take power of the ball. Its kinda crazy to watch. 

I see what you're saying watching that pass play.  It looks like Allen just flips the ball using half an arm motion and the ball goes over 30 yards for a perfect placement. 

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Bills security needed to confiscate this footage immediately. Like Barzini at the wedding in ‘The Godfather.’

latest?cb=20170805130153

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Keeps that up, he’s on the 53 for sure. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Taking nothing away from Oliver, but that was more of a case of Wesley sucking at technique than it was Oliver doing something amazing.

Agreed.  Wesley is a massive human being, but his techique wasn't.

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Looked like his 3rd read...and the way he shapes that throw over the defender to outside shoulder, spins it perfect spiral off platform...it's the definition of 'arm talent'

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Looked like his 3rd read...and the way he shapes that throw over the defender to outside shoulder, spins it perfect spiral off platform...it's the definition of 'arm talent'

I give it 50/50. Allen's arm and Sweeney's adjustment. 

It was a perfect throw to the outside and Sweeney did a 360 while running to relocated the ball. 

Yea that was a great throw against a great defense. Just look at where Allen was at this time last year , it's night and day... 

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

Good point. Gotta have confidence to let your receivers go up and make plays, too. The anti-Tyrod.

Edited by K-9

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

He was forklifting the Bills tall guards into the backfield at every opportunity last night.    Being able to get way under the pads of the guy in front of you and force them backward is a great skill to bring to the NFL.   Hopefully he doesn't just settle for that and hones the rest of his game so that he can turn that pressure potential into QB hits and sacks.    Hoping to see him versus the Colts starting guards Thursday night.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

rome wasn't built in a day. next off season should also continue to add the needed (addressed past 2 off seasons-QB, OL,TE, RB) pieces to the offense.

Elite receivers in 2020 NFL Draft fit perfectly in timeline of the Buffalo Bills

This team is close to getting back to becoming real contenders in the AFC. Landing a legitimate number one target in the passing game just might be the final piece that could take them over the top.

Long term solution at WR and C, then we agree

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Natural arm strength doesn't inhibit accuracy.   Quite the opposite.   It's a big advantage to start with.    You're over-thinking it.  A LOT.  Allen is just a work in progress and his big arm is the only reason he got out of JUCO football.   People act like he's learning how to walk.........he's been attempting these throws in practices for as long as he's been playing football.   But for all of the teams he's played for his combination of arm/athleticism+lack of polish+ the teams lack of talent........taking small gains in the games has not made much sense.   Not sure it does here yet either.........most of his good plays in practice seem to be off platform still.   To me right now this is a guy who needs a great #1 WR and a top WR corps in general with an offense focused on running the ball and big plays thru the air.    That would buy him a few years to gradually develop as a surgical passer.   That's basically the formula that teams that are having success with young QB's are using.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Natural arm strength doesn't inhibit accuracy.   Quite the opposite.   It's a big advantage to start with.    You're over-thinking it.  A LOT.  Allen is just a work in progress and his big arm is the only reason he got out of JUCO football.   People act like he's learning how to walk.........he's been attempting these throws in practices for as long as he's been playing football.   But for all of the teams he's played for his combination of arm/athleticism+lack of polish+ the teams lack of talent........taking small gains in the games has not made much sense.   Not sure it does here yet either.........most of his good plays in practice seem to be off platform still.   To me right now this is a guy who needs a great #1 WR and a top WR corps in general with an offense focused on running the ball and big plays thru the air.    That would buy him a few years to gradually develop as a surgical passer.   That's basically the formula that teams that are having success with young QB's are using.

I see us having the “potential” of a Rams-type WR Unit this year.  

They had four #2 WRs out there for Goff.   No #1, but also no scrubs. 

John Brown and Cole Beasley qualify.  Zay and Foster have the potential.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I see us having the “potential” of a Rams-type WR Unit this year.  

They had four #2 WRs out there for Goff.   No #1, but also no scrubs. 

John Brown and Cole Beasley qualify.  Zay and Foster have the potential.  

The Bills don't even have a single proven reliable good #2 WR.

Beasley and Brown have played 12 NFL seasons combined and between them they've produced 3 seasons with over 700 yards receiving.

Obviously there is potential.........especially with Foster...........and Brown and Beasley are coming off unusually good seasons for them.......but thinking the Bills have four #2's out there is a leap of faith, IMO.    I think most NFL personnel people would rank the Bills WR corps between 25th-30th in the league.

And Watkins and Cooks had 5 seasons of 975 or more yards before they joined the Rams..........they were undisputed #1 WR's not #2's.

Edited by BADOLBILZ