New Era "Return of the Blue and Red" Practice 8/2 night

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Looked like his 3rd read...and the way he shapes that throw over the defender to outside shoulder, spins it perfect spiral off platform...it's the definition of 'arm talent'

Good point. Gotta have confidence to let your receivers go up and make plays, too. The anti-Tyrod.

Edited by K-9

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

Taking nothing away from Oliver, but that was more of a case of Wesley sucking at technique than it was Oliver doing something amazing.

He was forklifting the Bills tall guards into the backfield at every opportunity last night.    Being able to get way under the pads of the guy in front of you and force them backward is a great skill to bring to the NFL.   Hopefully he doesn't just settle for that and hones the rest of his game so that he can turn that pressure potential into QB hits and sacks.    Hoping to see him versus the Colts starting guards Thursday night.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

rome wasn't built in a day. next off season should also continue to add the needed (addressed past 2 off seasons-QB, OL,TE, RB) pieces to the offense.

Elite receivers in 2020 NFL Draft fit perfectly in timeline of the Buffalo Bills

This team is close to getting back to becoming real contenders in the AFC. Landing a legitimate number one target in the passing game just might be the final piece that could take them over the top.

Long term solution at WR and C, then we agree

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Josh Allen’s best attribute (arm strength) is a direct cause of his worst (accuracy)?

when you see touch passes like the one above, you can see how hard he has to work to take power of the ball. Its kinda crazy to watch. 

Natural arm strength doesn't inhibit accuracy.   Quite the opposite.   It's a big advantage to start with.    You're over-thinking it.  A LOT.  Allen is just a work in progress and his big arm is the only reason he got out of JUCO football.   People act like he's learning how to walk.........he's been attempting these throws in practices for as long as he's been playing football.   But for all of the teams he's played for his combination of arm/athleticism+lack of polish+ the teams lack of talent........taking small gains in the games has not made much sense.   Not sure it does here yet either.........most of his good plays in practice seem to be off platform still.   To me right now this is a guy who needs a great #1 WR and a top WR corps in general with an offense focused on running the ball and big plays thru the air.    That would buy him a few years to gradually develop as a surgical passer.   That's basically the formula that teams that are having success with young QB's are using.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Natural arm strength doesn't inhibit accuracy.   Quite the opposite.   It's a big advantage to start with.    You're over-thinking it.  A LOT.  Allen is just a work in progress and his big arm is the only reason he got out of JUCO football.   People act like he's learning how to walk.........he's been attempting these throws in practices for as long as he's been playing football.   But for all of the teams he's played for his combination of arm/athleticism+lack of polish+ the teams lack of talent........taking small gains in the games has not made much sense.   Not sure it does here yet either.........most of his good plays in practice seem to be off platform still.   To me right now this is a guy who needs a great #1 WR and a top WR corps in general with an offense focused on running the ball and big plays thru the air.    That would buy him a few years to gradually develop as a surgical passer.   That's basically the formula that teams that are having success with young QB's are using.

I see us having the “potential” of a Rams-type WR Unit this year.  

They had four #2 WRs out there for Goff.   No #1, but also no scrubs. 

John Brown and Cole Beasley qualify.  Zay and Foster have the potential.  

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I see us having the “potential” of a Rams-type WR Unit this year.  

They had four #2 WRs out there for Goff.   No #1, but also no scrubs. 

John Brown and Cole Beasley qualify.  Zay and Foster have the potential.  

The Bills don't even have a single proven reliable good #2 WR.

Beasley and Brown have played 12 NFL seasons combined and between them they've produced 3 seasons with over 700 yards receiving.

Obviously there is potential.........especially with Foster...........and Brown and Beasley are coming off unusually good seasons for them.......but thinking the Bills have four #2's out there is a leap of faith, IMO.    I think most NFL personnel people would rank the Bills WR corps between 25th-30th in the league.

And Watkins and Cooks had 5 seasons of 975 or more yards before they joined the Rams..........they were undisputed #1 WR's not #2's.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills don't even have a single proven reliable good #2 WR.

Beasley and Brown have played 12 NFL seasons combined and between them they've produced 3 seasons with over 700 yards receiving.

Obviously there is potential.........especially with Foster...........and Brown and Beasley are coming off unusually good seasons for them.......but thinking the Bills have four #2's out there is a leap of faith, IMO.    I think most NFL personnel people would rank the Bills WR corps between 25th-30th in the league.

And Watkins and Cooks had 5 seasons of 975 or more yards before they joined the Rams..........they were undisputed #1 WR's not #2's.

Hence... the word “potential”.  

Obviously Watkins-Cooks-Kupp-Woods is a better unit.  We have a ways to go for this group to be considered in the middle tier range of WRs. 

Brown - Cooks

Beasley - Kupp

Foster - Watkins

Zay - Woods

Im simply stating that’s the style we should be emulating with the potential we can all hope for. 

Edited by SCBills

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

Unless Josh Allen completes 100% of his passes and the Bills go 19-0, there will be people here who will complain.

And even then .... there would be people who would say, "yeah, but he still ran too much and we only won because of our defense."

Some people are simply incapable of being happy/enjoying the Bills.  Eff 'em.

Pessimists are people who fear disappointment.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Hence... the word “potential”.  

Obviously Watkins-Cooks-Kupp-Woods is a better unit.  We have a ways to go for this group to be considered in the middle tier range of WRs. 

Brown - Cooks

Beasley - Kupp

Foster - Watkins

Zay - Woods

Im simply stating that’s the style we should be emulating with the potential we can all hope for. 

Yes what the Rams put together(in one offseason) is what the Bills should have been trying to do for Allen.

To some extent they did but the question is whether they added enough quality with all of the quantity(at WR and OL).    The Rams really nailed the quality part of the equation with both units(and then the HC also coached that talent up immensely).

I hope Foster and Brown rise to the occasion but if one of them doesn't become a star #1 who can elevate Allen's game then I think defenses will just make Allen throw into a ton of zone coverage and try to succeed with a high volume of shorter throws that he(and probably Foster and Brown) are less comfortable with. 

23 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

rome wasn't built in a day. next off season should also continue to add the needed (addressed past 2 off seasons-QB, OL,TE, RB) pieces to the offense.

Elite receivers in 2020 NFL Draft fit perfectly in timeline of the Buffalo Bills

This team is close to getting back to becoming real contenders in the AFC. Landing a legitimate number one target in the passing game just might be the final piece that could take them over the top.

Rome didn't have a salary cap and free agency to deal with.    This build is time sensitive.

I think Bills fans have come to take for granted the past two offseasons where the team was able to spend in free agency and not lose any players.

It's not just going to be build, build, build the next few offseasons..........the timing of building up a team with a first contract QB as quickly as possible matters.

This was THE critical offseason to get Allen everything he needs and run with that for two seasons in 2019 and 2020 while they decide whether he is worth a massive, potentially franchise altering extension when he becomes eligible after the 2020 season.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rome didn't have a salary cap and free agency to deal with.    This build is time sensitive.

I think Bills fans have come to take for granted the past two offseasons where the team was able to spend in free agency and not lose any players.

It's not just going to be build, build, build the next few offseasons..........the timing of building up a team with a first contract QB as quickly as possible matters.

This was THE critical offseason to get Allen everything he needs and run with that for two seasons in 2019 and 2020 while they decide whether he is worth a massive, potentially franchise altering extension when he becomes eligible after the 2020 season.

Antonio Brown apparently didn't want to come here. Seems to me they made a pretty good effort to upgrade offensive personnel. I rather doubt it is enough, but I don't think they were ridiculously incompetent. Hopefully it's enough for Allen to grow. Next yr there are an abundance of fa wrs and top of the draft wrs to choose from. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You already know there was nobody from the draft that could've helped this team at WR?

Several fans thought DK Metcalf would be a big help for Allen considering Metcalfs large catch radius and Allens often erratic ball placement.

We also just saw two of the primer pass catchers in the league traded in one offseason. 

Was it confirmed why Brown didn't want to come here? 

I was under the impression Brown wanted a new contract and the Bills weren't going to do that. 

I don’t know that.  Do you already know Zay and/or Foster won’t step up this year?

Scouting reports would indicate we already have two young guys with the same potential of anyone we would’ve drafted outside of a 1st Round Pick.  

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Antonio Brown apparently didn't want to come here. Seems to me they made a pretty good effort to upgrade offensive personnel. I rather doubt it is enough, but I don't think they were ridiculously incompetent. Hopefully it's enough for Allen to grow. Next yr there are an abundance of fa wrs and top of the draft wrs to choose from. 

I don't care about the effort and the labor pains........these guys were hired to do a job and the template has already been laid out by other successful teams.    The plan from the moment McDermott was hired was to draft a QB.    Three offseasons to get a top receiving corps in place for "young QB year 2" is enough..........it's not just all about this past offseason and not getting an AB or OBJ etc.. 

I agree that they seem destined to draft a WR in round 1 next year.........but again.........that means Allen having a rookie WR1 in his extension decision year...........which is not how you want that to play out when you had at that point 4 offseasons to prevent that.  

My hope is that Foster becomes that guy.    I know camp hasn't been kind to him but let's hope he raises his game because he has a lot of talent.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You already know there was nobody from the draft that could've helped this team at WR?

Do you already know there was a WR who could?

When the first wideout is selected at #25 in the draft, it speaks to the general scouting consensus that it wasn’t a very good draft for high end WR prospects. 

Now maybe every wideout selected in 2019 will go on to have HOF careers, but that won’t change the fact that BEFORE the draft, when GMs and scouts have to deal with PRESENT realities, there were far more highly ranked prospects at other positions better able to contribute in the short term. 

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Several fans thought DK Metcalf would be a big help for Allen considering Metcalfs large catch radius and Allens often erratic ball placement.

We also just saw two of the primer pass catchers in the league traded in one offseason. 

Was it confirmed why Brown didn't want to come here? 

I was under the impression Brown wanted a new contract and the Bills weren't going to do that. 

The "apologist" solution to the critical WR problems in 2017 was "they will take care of that next offseason or in 2019 when they have $100M in cap space".

Then in 2018 after doing very little about it was "they will take care of that in 2019 when they have all that cap space".

Now it's like.........."well they signed some guys but the big stars didn't want to come to Buffalo..........what are ya' gonna' do?   They made an effort." :lol:

Got my fingers crossed but watching Allen's inaccuracy in practice on short to intermediate throws that are automatic for some QB's doesn't inspire confidence in me that he is ready to raise the level of an average or below average WR corps just yet.   This is a guy who needs big time matchup winners right now to take advantage of the things he does well, IMO.      

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes what the Rams put together(in one offseason) is what the Bills should have been trying to do for Allen.

To some extent they did but the question is whether they added enough quality with all of the quantity(at WR and OL).    The Rams really nailed the quality part of the equation with both units(and then the HC also coached that talent up immensely).

I hope Foster and Brown rise to the occasion but if one of them doesn't become a star #1 who can elevate Allen's game then I think defenses will just make Allen throw into a ton of zone coverage and try to succeed with a high volume of shorter throws that he(and probably Foster and Brown) are less comfortable with. 

You can only sign in FA what is there. To my mind the Bills got the best center (concussions are a legit concern though) and the best guard and then they drafted one of the better linemen in the draft and added a bunch of other possible depth pieces in FA who all have at least been starters for periods. 

As for offensive weaponry - that was harder. Was a much thinner market. You yourself have said - and I think you are right - fewer true offensive playmakers are hitting FA than a few years away. If the Bills are gonna find a real difference maker at WR I suspect they are going to either have to trade for him (they tested the AB situation) or they will have to draft him. I know you were among the crowd higher on taking a chance on DK Metcalf in the 2nd round. I get that but I was not a huge fan. I suspect a #1 wide receiver will have to wait until the 2020 draft. In the meantime they need to get years from Brown and Beasley closer to their best years than their average ones. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

You can only sign in FA what is there. To my mind the Bills got the best center (concussions are a legit concern though) and the best guard and then they drafted one of the better linemen in the draft and added a bunch of other possible depth pieces in FA who all have at least been starters for periods. 

As for offensive weaponry - that was harder. Was a much thinner market. You yourself have said - and I think you are right - fewer true offensive playmakers are hitting FA than a few years away. If the Bills are gonna find a real difference maker at WR I suspect they are going to either have to trade for him (they tested the AB situation) or they will have to draft him. I know you were among the crowd higher on taking a chance on DK Metcalf in the 2nd round. I get that but I was not a huge fan. I suspect a #1 wide receiver will have to wait until the 2020 draft. In the meantime they need to get years from Brown and Beasley closer to their best years than their average ones. 

Not taking Metcalf was a mistake they'll regret.

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Do you already know there was a WR who could?

When the first wideout is selected at #25 in the draft, it speaks to the general scouting consensus that it wasn’t a very good draft for high end WR prospects. 

Now maybe every wideout selected in 2019 will go on to have HOF careers, but that won’t change the fact that BEFORE the draft, when GMs and scouts have to deal with PRESENT realities, there were far more highly ranked prospects at other positions better able to contribute in the short term. 

Let's not pretend this offseason was their first chance to put a stellar WR corps in place for their QB of the future.

This has been a 3 offseason process that started out with passing on Bob Woods(1200 yards last year) and Marquise Goodwin(962 yards in 2017) and then trading Watkins(who impressed enough when healthy to get a $16M/yr deal).     

After 3 years of documenting their bumbling of the WR position it's past the point of it being down to just missing out on one or two guys in the trade market.  

This group they've assembled and developed needs to step up and be extraordinary in 2019.   

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let's not pretend this offseason was their first chance to put a stellar WR corps in place for their QB of the future.

This has been a 3 offseason process that started out with passing on Bob Woods(1200 yards last year) and Marquise Goodwin(962 yards in 2017) and then trading Watkins(who impressed enough when healthy to get a $16M/yr deal).     

After 3 years of documenting their bumbling of the WR position it's past the point of it being down to just missing out on one or two guys in the trade market.  

This group they've assembled and developed needs to step up and be extraordinary in 2019.   

Or what? You'll be angry?

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. I think he went to a place that is a good fit for him. But I don't think he is going to be a top end NFL receiver. 

We'll see. He'll surely be motivated.