Bills Training Camp: Day 3 - 7/27

15 hours ago, CNY315 said:

Can't shake the feeling that we might be able to do some work on offense this year

Me too. Josh Allen 's arm in Dabol's patriot system, been waiting for this for a long time. It would be so sick putting up 35 points a game.

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Got live training camp on NFL Network while following this. They’re @ the Pats* but go around the League. Bills STILL haven’t been shown... BASTARDS!

we got the next 20 years.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, CNY315 said:

Ole  Thad just hoping someone takes over for Allen,sad.

15 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wonder if John Brown coming in here and kind of feeling like “the guy” at WR has been a boost to his confidence. Sounds like he’s killing it. He really seems to be embracing this opportunity to run with the #1 WR role. 

Sounds like Josh Allen is killing it too. 

Honestly, as a long time die hard Buffalo sports fan all this positivity is making me a bit nervous.... ?

Not me , full steam ahead, been waiting too long and now it's finally going to happen, GO BILLS !!!

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I feel like Brian Daboll deserves an award for the way that he complete switched the identity at WR.

not saying you but but it was funny how bad people hated Dabol in the first half of the season last year and now everyone is feeling the love. I was a big fan of his and supported him from the get go as i knew he brought that versatile NE offense with him and would be able to adapt to his personnel and any situation. 

Cant wait , big things are coming our way!!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

not saying you but but it was funny how bad people hated Dabol in the first half of the season last year and now everyone is feeling the love. I was a big fan of his and supported him from the get go as i knew he brought that versatile NE offense with him and would be able to adapt to his personnel and any situation. 

Indeed. I defended him on here a lot the first half of last season. I think it is easy for fans when things are not going well to turn around and blame coaching. Because it is an easier fix to fire one man than accept that a whole side of the ball sucks. There are posts from me at that point (first 5 or 6 weeks last year) saying that the rookie QB aside Brian Daboll was working with an offense that only had two players who would start in the NFL in 2019... not for the Bills.... but for anybody. They were Shady and Dawkins. Fast forward a year and here we are. The only starters off that offense other than Josh are Shady and Dawkins with Zay in a battle for a job. John Miller might end up starting for Cincy now too but only after their rookie 1st rounder went down for the year and their best vet surprisingly retired. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, WideNine said:

Time for that hard-nosed kid out of Boston to step up - not a bad thing this time of year and when a hammy starts to go, you have to give it time to heal or it will be a lingering issue. Just ask Shady.

Sweeney played at B.C. but is actually a New Jersey kid. 

Edited by freddyjj
Sp
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Murphy said on day one how improved he thought Wyatt Teller looked over last year, but i haven't read one word about him. I was happy when we drafted and hope he makes the team at this point.

Sal said he's been working with the twos.

49 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Sweeney played at B.C. but is actually a New Jersey kid. 

But with a name like Tommy Sweeney it's easy to assume he's from South Boston.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sal said he's been working with the twos.

But with a name like Tommy Sweeney it's easy to assume he's from South Boston.

Yeah I assumed same until I heard him on Sirius draft interview.  

Edited by freddyjj
Sp

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. I defended him on here a lot the first half of last season. I think it is easy for fans when things are not going well to turn around and blame coaching. Because it is an easier fix to fire one man than accept that a whole side of the ball sucks. There are posts from me at that point (first 5 or 6 weeks last year) saying that the rookie QB aside Brian Daboll was working with an offense that only had two players who would start in the NFL in 2019... not for the Bills.... but for anybody. They were Shady and Dawkins. Fast forward a year and here we are. The only starters off that offense other than Josh are Shady and Dawkins with Zay in a battle for a job. John Miller might end up starting for Cincy now too but only after their rookie 1st rounder went down for the year and their best vet surprisingly retired. 

Oh, the annals of TSW are replete with "Daboll sucks, he ran crappy offenses before as an NFL OC so why would he be any better now, and he even made the Alabama offense worse" and more of that sort of stuff.  We have a fanbase of knee-jerk, instant-gratification babies who don't believe in player or coach development.  If you did something one way at one point in your career, that's what you are.  Period.

Daboll hasn't proven anything yet with respect to the Bills, but the signs seem to be pointing in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, eball said:

Daboll hasn't proven anything yet with respect to the Bills, but the signs seem to be pointing in the right direction.

Agree. He hasn't but I don't think he has had a chance to. The Bills offense the last two years had simply been undertalented. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think both premises are mistaken.  I don't and didn't hate Daboll.  But odd decisions on personnel and scheme were made during the first half of the season, and we were slow to move away from some of those scheme choices into something the players we had could actually execute.  It's unclear to what extent Daboll was making or had bought into those odd decisions, but as OC he should have had significant input into personnel and "the buck stops with him" as far as scheme.

The "versatile NE offense" depends upon player execution, and one of the hallmarks of a good coach is working in a system the players he has can execute, not his "pet system". (That was Sexy Rexy's problem IMO).

I don't love Daboll now.  I like what our offense is doing.  But I'll wait and see what we get during the season.  Daboll has a poor track record as OC and also reasons to explain that poor track record (dysfunctional organizations, poor personnel).  But ultimately you are what your record says you are until you prove otherwise.  At best he is "remains to be proven"

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I said throughout last season that his play design and offensive structure are excellent. His situational play calling could use some work, so I'm hoping for improvement there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, K-9 said:

I’m looking forward to Foster and Brown split wide with Beasley and Zay in the slots in four receiver sets. I also love the idea of Knox as a fifth in that scenario. 

For sure.  What I really like in that 4 wr set is McCoy or Singletary in the backfield.  Running out of that set has yielded us great fortune in the past from my recollection.  The secondary has their hands full and the RBs will have ample room

• Like (+1) 1

Didn't see this article from Matthew Fairburn linked, sorry if I missed it (subscription - having a sale right now)

https://theathletic.com/1100872/2019/07/27/josh-allen-and-john-brown-put-on-a-show-and-other-notes-from-day-3-of-bills-camp/?redirected=1

Key points:

-so far, John Brown looking well worth the money. 
-also so far, Josh Allen looking much improved: " Saturday might have been Josh Allen’s best practice with the Bills...... He finished 14-for-21 passing during team drills. The two deep balls to Brown will draw the headlines.... his touch passes were just as noteworthy. He lofted a pretty touch throw just over the linebackers to rookie tight end Tommy Sweeney (more on him later). He also had perfect placement on a touch pass to LeSean McCoy on the sideline and threaded another throw to Brown on the sideline. He hasn’t been shy about working the middle of the field, either, hitting Andre Roberts on multiple occasions during the first three practices. "

Those touch passes were a serious gap in Allen's passing game last year, so it's good to at least see him hitting them in practice.

-Jones can't catch what he isn't thrown: " Of the Bills’ top three receivers, Zay Jones is lagging severely behind in the targets department. Allen has looked to Brown and Cole Beasley more often than Jones, who has an established relationship with Allen. It might be that Jones has often been matched up against lockdown cornerback Tre’Davious White, who has looked stellar to start camp. ..... Jones has done a fine job running his routes and being physical in the running game"  Paging Josh Allen...Hapless sez "make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold"

-Tyree Jackson starting to show something "Tyree Jackson ended practice with a .... 50-plus-yard strike to Cam Phillips, who made a difficult play to haul in the pass over a defender. Jackson ...(is) mostly getting reps during developmental periods of practice, but the progress has been noticeable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Didn't see this article from Matthew Fairburn linked, sorry if I missed it (subscription - having a sale right now)

https://theathletic.com/1100872/2019/07/27/josh-allen-and-john-brown-put-on-a-show-and-other-notes-from-day-3-of-bills-camp/?redirected=1

Key points:

-so far, John Brown looking well worth the money. 
-also so far, Josh Allen looking much improved: " Saturday might have been Josh Allen’s best practice with the Bills...... He finished 14-for-21 passing during team drills. The two deep balls to Brown will draw the headlines.... his touch passes were just as noteworthy. He lofted a pretty touch throw just over the linebackers to rookie tight end Tommy Sweeney (more on him later). He also had perfect placement on a touch pass to LeSean McCoy on the sideline and threaded another throw to Brown on the sideline. He hasn’t been shy about working the middle of the field, either, hitting Andre Roberts on multiple occasions during the first three practices. "

Those touch passes were a serious gap in Allen's passing game last year, so it's good to at least see him hitting them in practice.

-Jones can't catch what he isn't thrown: " Of the Bills’ top three receivers, Zay Jones is lagging severely behind in the targets department. Allen has looked to Brown and Cole Beasley more often than Jones, who has an established relationship with Allen. It might be that Jones has often been matched up against lockdown cornerback Tre’Davious White, who has looked stellar to start camp. ..... Jones has done a fine job running his routes and being physical in the running game"  Paging Josh Allen...Hapless sez "make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold"

-Tyree Jackson starting to show something "Tyree Jackson ended practice with a .... 50-plus-yard strike to Cam Phillips, who made a difficult play to haul in the pass over a defender. Jackson ...(is) mostly getting reps during developmental periods of practice, but the progress has been noticeable.

I listened to the Bills Beat podcast with Fairburn and Joe B and it was really good, they talked about Zay 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

For sure.  What I really like in that 4 wr set is McCoy or Singletary in the backfield.  Running out of that set has yielded us great fortune in the past from my recollection.  The secondary has their hands full and the RBs will have ample room

The Chan spread!

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What did they say?  Key points?

Basically that Zay was getting fewer targets because Josh is trying to establish chemistry with the new guys, and that he’s looked good out there “doing his job”. They indicated he would get more targets in actual games if teams focus on taking away brown and Beasley 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Basically that Zay was getting fewer targets because Josh is trying to establish chemistry with the new guys, and that he’s looked good out there “doing his job”. They indicated he would get more targets in actual games if teams focus on taking away brown and Beasley 

Except that Josh was throwing a lot to Foster. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Apparently it wasnt as much as the others over 3 practices. I think they also mentioned that Jones was being covered by Tre White

Edited by YoloinOhio

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Chan spread!

Exactly.  He made it work with very little talent at WR and literally no speed to take the top off.  We have speed and more speed now.  Hopefully we can have even better results.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

You'd have to listen.  They had some interesting points about Zay getting props from the WR coach "great route Zay!", that he's running the routes he's asked as he's been asked, and that generally he's been covered by Tre White so less separation.  But they point out that the routes Zay is being asked to run, are the routes Josh Allen doesn't like to throw to - he either throws deep or dumps off - and that Allen doesn't at this point throw guys open. 

Foster, on the other hand, runs the deep routes Allen likes to hit.

Their conclusion was "this isn't necessarily a Josh Allen problem, or a Zay Jones problem, but it's a Buffalo Bills problem" (ie, Allen is playing well and finding open guys, Jones is running good routes, but the Bills offense needs to be able ultimately to exploit the routes Jones is running was how I interpreted it)

They also pointed out that "Foster isn't all the way there" and pointed out a couple routes yesterday where he didn't adjust or contest for a deep ball where he didn't have great separation and Levi Wallace/Kevin Johnson knocked the ball away vs. Brown made similar catches.

• Thank you (+1) 1