Bills Training Camp Day 1 - 7/25

12 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

It must be a conspiracy of some sort--today my "Garmin speak Alexa" kept turning on WEEI out of Boston as a similar station, every time I asked her to play WGR on the Radio.com app; I was forced to go old school and do it manually through the app on my phone. I wonder if she'll be more likely to play the Rochester station.  

this strikes me as funny. old school with apps on a smart phone you say??

• Haha (+1) 1

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Turn on WGR

It’s Day 1 of TC and here we have Schopp going on and on about Tyrod “he had the best interception % in nfl history!”

seriously? Tyrod? It’s 2019 bro

this guy is ruining my drive to work. Some day im going to get a smart phone and a new car and listen to who and what i want.

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I had to turn off WGR when Schopp started with his Josh will never make it BS.  

that crap really pisses me off, they seriously need to fire this clown. He clearly doesnt like being here and he sucks at his job.

he's just mad we didnt draft Lamar Jackson, who he thinks is the shiny new toy.

38 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

this guy is ruining my drive to work. Some day im going to get a smart phone and a new car and listen to who and what i want.

Follow your dreams, man...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I hope they aren't regretting taking Oliver.

It’s all part of the process,. Ford and Edmunds are the only two rookies who came in and started at that their position first day of camp (under McDermott). And my guess is Ford won’t start out with the ones today. Read Astros report, Oliver was a menace lined up next two Star. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I hope they aren't regretting taking Oliver.

I seriously hope that this is sarcasm, but one never knows.

What I find interesting about Oliver's first day is the dichotomy between what was reported by the mainstream media compared by what a knowledgeable fan had to say.  Those at the PC reported not much more than McDermott's comments about Oliver before practice.  Then, you go read Dean's Rastro Notes and he absolutely raves about Oliver's day one performance.  Since I feed off of positive energy I'll chalk this up to someone who really watched practice (Rastro) noting some extremely positive thoughts about Oliver vs mainstream media focusing on the coach's words and then watching and reporting on the flashier aspects of the practice. 

If the quote above isn't sarcasm you then toss in a bunch of fan angst and you have people wondering whether the FO is regretting a pick after only one practice based on a coach's response to a reporter's question.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What I find interesting about Oliver's first day is the dichotomy between what was reported by the mainstream media compared by what a knowledgeable fan had to say.  Those at the PC reported not much more than McDermott's comments about Oliver before practice.  Then, you go read Dean's Rastro Notes and he absolutely raves about Oliver's day one performance.  Since I feed off of positive energy I'll chalk this up to someone who really watched practice (Rastro) noting some extremely positive thoughts about Oliver vs mainstream media focusing on the coach's words and then watching and reporting on the flashier aspects of the practice. 

If the quote above isn't sarcasm you then toss in a bunch of fan angst and you have people wondering whether the FO is regretting a pick after only one practice based on a coach's response to a reporter's question.

I think each player is unique. McD said he’s got a long way to go, attributing it to bring a rookie. Well in the past 3 years he put Tre White, Tremaine Edmunds, and now Ford in starting roles right off the bat on day 1. Something is holding him back from doing that with Oliver, since it’s not like it’s his precedent to do that just because he’s a rookie. Good coaches know that some players need a unique approach to garner success from college to pro (an example was cutting Foster last year) . Every player is different but it doesn’t mean they would regret anything. They knew everything about him and highly coveted him because he’s an animal. Just might need something more before he’s handed anything. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

54 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

It is really hard on Day 1 of TC to even get the slightest clue on what an OLine or a DLine guy actually does.  With no pads and no serious contact - the linemen are just learning simple technique.  I know Astro said a few nice things, but listening to guys like Sal - he basically said there was no real point in watching interior linemen until the pads go on.  

Several guys did mention Hughes because of his speed, but that was it.

Sal and Chris Brown also mentioned that Ford got the start because he was healthy throughout the minicamps and was the only RT not to miss time.  He did not read much into Ford starting Day 1 unless it repeatedly happens throughout camp.

On the other hand - Phillips was healthy throughout the minicamps and therefore should be ahead of Oliver with a years experience in the system and not missing time.  

I am not reading anything into Day 1, but if it does not change by Game 3 of the preseason - then people have some cause to wonder.

Edited by Rochesterfan

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think each player is unique. McD said he’s got a long way to go, attributing it to bring a rookie. Well in the past 3 years he put Tre White, Tremaine Edmunds, and now Ford in starting roles right off the bat on day 1. Something is holding him back from doing that with Oliver, since it’s not like it’s his precedent to do that just because he’s a rookie. Good coaches know that some players need a unique approach to garner success from college to pro (an example was cutting Foster last year) . Every player is different but it doesn’t mean they would regret anything. They knew everything about him and highly coveted him because he’s an animal. Just might need something more before he’s handed anything. 

I agree.  Oliver was the guy I wanted the Bills to take.  Jordan Phillips was a 2nd rounder and is no slouch.  Bringing Oliver along at a slower pace, compared to Edmunds last year, and letting him acclimate to the pro game is a prudent move.  I'll focus on what Astro wrote about Oliver yesterday.  A lot can change in 4 weeks and I expect Oliver to be the dominant player that they need on the DL.

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don't disagree with any of that. I'd say if you asked McDermott a similar question about Ford he would say much the same thing.  It's what coaches do.

The crux of my post was the big difference between what mainstream reported (McD's words) and what Dean reported (what he saw).

Gotta say, I agree with those suspecting there’s something up with Oliver via McDermott. Yes, Coach has acted aloof previously with rookies, but would at least empathize that it’s a brand new world/new environment/all new teammates & philosophy. To me, he’s either amping that up with Oliver or there’s something amiss we’re not yet privy to. Sean is an openly loving guy for his players. With Ed, he’s being a Richard -with a capital D!

32 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Gotta say, I agree with those suspecting there’s something up with Oliver via McDermott. Yes, Coach has acted aloof previously with rookies, but would at least empathize that it’s a brand new world/new environment/all new teammates & philosophy. To me, he’s either amping that up with Oliver or there’s something amiss we’re not yet privy to. Sean is an openly loving guy for his players. With Ed, he’s being a Richard -with a capital D!

Imo they knew exactly who he was and they wanted him, and McD has had a plan in place since probably March or so for how to coach him, and he’s now executing it. The amount of research teams do on the players they draft is unreal (especially the 1st rounders)  and he is like the most detailed person on the planet. I think he enjoys the challenge and process (no pun intended) of coaching different personalities.

ive seen this first hand with urban Meyer - the players he is biggest prick toward are usually the ones who are most naturally talented and need the psychological push. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imo they knew exactly who he was and they wanted him, and McD has had a plan in place since probably March or so for how to coach him, and he’s now executing it. The amount of research teams do on the players they draft is unreal (especially the 1st rounders)  and he is like the most detailed person on the planet. I think he enjoys the challenge and process (no pun intended) of coaching different personalities.

ive seen this first hand with urban Meyer - the players he is biggest prick toward are usually the ones who are most naturally talented and need the psychological push. 

I think McDermott is fine with a player with a difficult personality if they have fire...Oliver has fire.  He’d rather calm a guy down than having to fire them up.  

That’s why Jerry Hughes got an extension and we got rid of Dareus.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree. Everything we All saw said this is no Marcel Dareus. This kid is ferocious! Perhaps Coach thinks he has to step up his own head games here. I hope that’s all this is!

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree. Everything we All saw said this is no Marcel Dareus. This kid is ferocious! Perhaps Coach thinks he has to step up his own head games here. I hope that’s all this is!

Oliver is a lot of things but humble is not one of them. It’s ok to have that much confidence but I think McD knows that Oliver may not realize how much harder it is at the next level and is trying to drill that into him. He’s probably never had  to “compete” for a starting job, ever before. Had he gone to a program that was loaded with other 5 star players, he would have had to do that in college. He has always stepped onto the field as the best player, and those days are over. But he has all the skill and animal attitude to be that guy.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

It’s all part of the process,. Ford and Edmunds are the only two rookies who came in and started at that their position first day of camp (under McDermott). And my guess is Ford won’t start out with the ones today. Read Astros report, Oliver was a menace lined up next two Star. 

From what I could see Oliver had a couple plays where he showed his quickness but was pushed around a lot. Nsekhe absolutely destroyed him on a run play. It was his first day of camp so I’ll give him a pass but I wasn’t very impressed overall. 

Astro is usually pretty positive about everything. 

The last 11 on 11 I thought the first team  defense was much better than the first team offense. Seemed like all the reports I saw had it the other way around. Hughes and Murphy were in back field pretty quick. 

33 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

From what I could see Oliver had a couple plays where he showed his quickness but was pushed around a lot. Nsekhe absolutely destroyed him on a run play. It was his first day of camp so I’ll give him a pass but I wasn’t very impressed overall. 

The last 11 on 11 I thought the first team  defense was much better than the first team offense. Seemed like all the reports I saw had it the other way around. Hughes and Murphy were in back field pretty quick. 

Good to hear.

Now put these 2 on a shelf until the season starts!  Especially Trent don't call me glass Murphy!

38 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Nsekshe is a tackle so I would assume it was a sweep or off tackle play in which Oliver was going laterally down the line?  

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Nsekshe is a tackle so I would assume it was a sweep or off tackle play in which Oliver was going laterally down the line?  

Oliver looked to be lined up over the RGs outside shoulder in B gap and the run play was going in that direction. Not sure if it was designed go to A or B gap the RB cut back and went up A gap(I think the DE forced him back in) Nsekhe got right in front of Oliver and pushed him back a few yards.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oliver is a lot of things but humble is not one of them. It’s ok to have that much confidence but I think McD knows that Oliver may not realize how much harder it is at the next level and is trying to drill that into him. He’s probably never had  to “compete” for a starting job, ever before. Had he gone to a program that was loaded with other 5 star players, he would have had to do that in college. He has always stepped onto the field as the best player, and those days are over. But he has all the skill and animal attitude to be that guy.

I had the thought that it is not that dissimilar to what was done slotting Allen at #3 last year.  Oliver is the kind of guy who could get it done, even at his college level, on raw talent.  He never really had to compete (similar to Allen - he struggled to get a chance, but once he got his chance, it was his job) 

Now he needs to be receptive to coaching about technique, scheme, assignments.  The message is "you're not gonna walk in and be handed the job"

Apologies if this was already posted.  Chris Brown/Bills take

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/top-3-things-to-know-about-day-1-of-bills-training-camp

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had the thought that it is not that dissimilar to what was done slotting Allen at #3 last year.  Oliver is the kind of guy who could get it done, even at his college level, on raw talent.  He never really had to compete (similar to Allen - he struggled to get a chance, but once he got his chance, it was his job) 

Now he needs to be receptive to coaching about technique, scheme, assignments.  The message is "you're not gonna walk in and be handed the job"

Apologies if this was already posted.  Chris Brown/Bills take

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/top-3-things-to-know-about-day-1-of-bills-training-camp

Except that they handed the #2 pick Cody Ford the job. ;)

And they handed Tremaine Edmunds the job last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Honestly, the highlight of the day for me is that I’m getting one of those lunch pails. I am going to shove so many stereotypes into that bad boy!!

You could put your high motor in there

• Like (+1) 1

really like the idea of having Feliciano and Ford on the Right side of the line. Those two are mean, aggressive maulers and pretty much the exact same size 6’4 330 monsters that will punish people. Hope it works out form both of them. 

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Feliciano he is a nasty guy that can move. 

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

really like the idea of having Feliciano and Ford on the Right side of the line. Those two are mean, aggressive maulers and pretty much the exact same size 6’4 330 monsters that will punish people. Hope it works out form both of them. 

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Feliciano he is a nasty guy that can move. 

Thanks! I’m not ‘sleeping on *****’ (sp?) ? but I do have him as an afterthought. It would be fantastic if one of these other guys steps up and excels as RG. With the exception of Cody sliding in and Nsekhe going to RT, the RG seems to be the lone question remaining. Coach wants this shuffle over quickly so ‘the 5’ can get the most reps possible.