Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

nucci

I can't believe all of the stupid in this thread.  All y'all probably agonize when it's time to buy a new pack of underwear. What if my favorite color isn't available? What if the cotton crop wasn't as soft?  Do these make me look fat?

Things freaking change.  This is an interesting idea and I, for one, am fully on board for an additional 2 meaningful games. 

All this bitching and moaning is likely coming from fantasy geeks. 

23 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

No, no, no.  A million times no.

Teams should be able to field their best personnel packages every game.  Period.

Right on. What does this create. It helps foster an increasingly commercialized product.

Edited by Rocket94

13 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

This is going to destroy the record books. Once prestigious records will now be everyday norms. That pisses me off.

The regular season schedule has been expanded in the past. The records are fine. 

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

This is going to destroy the record books. Once prestigious records will now be everyday norms. That pisses me off.

Not much impact on individual records since each player still plays 16 games a season.

I think they just end up adding a bye week and eliminating a preseason game.  The extra tv revenue for the one week will more than make up for one less preseason game.

• Like (+1) 1

Essentially this is a midway point to eliminating 2 preseason games.  I fail to see how this proposal results in more playing time for the players than what they currently go through from the start of training camp.

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

The NFL needs smaller stadiums, less teams, less games, less exposure and a minor league for GMs, coaches and players to learn -  to have sustainable success.  

It's a bloated, overexposed operation already.  

Counterpoint:  The league makes at least over 8 billion dollars yearly in profit with the current system in place.

The fans don't want this. The players don't want this.

The ONLY group that wants this is the owners, which is a group of people who are already incredibly wealthy.

They just keep trying to fix what isn't broken. The NFL is the most popular sport in America, and they're hellbent on ruining it in the name of lining their pockets even more than they already do. It's incredibly sad and a real shame to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

The fans don't want this. The players don't want this.

The ONLY group that wants this is the owners, which is a group of people who are already incredibly wealthy.

They just keep trying to fix what isn't broken. The NFL is the most popular sport in America, and they're hellbent on ruining it in the name of lining their pockets even more than they already do. It's incredibly sad and a real shame to watch.

I mean it’s a business and I get that.  But man, this is a bad look for a league that pretends like they care about the players.  It’s why unless for a rare exception, you should never side with an owner over a player.  These guys are just pieces of meat to them that they get rid of the second they can’t produce. 

Completely :censored:  stupid idea imo. Your best players at every position out for at least 2 games of the 18 with your coaching staff picking which two? Sheesh, greed is a mofo

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I can't believe all of the stupid in this thread.  All y'all probably agonize when it's time to buy a new pack of underwear. What if my favorite color isn't available? What if the cotton crop wasn't as soft?  Do these make me look fat?

Things freaking change.  This is an interesting idea and I, for one, am fully on board for an additional 2 meaningful games. 

All this bitching and moaning is likely coming from fantasy geeks. 

Damn dog I think I agree with u but u gotta calm down brother... This just a forum homie... 

It would be so hard to manage to only play players to only play in 16 games. The issue I have with it is it seems to punish the healthy teams.  If your team is banged up then you wouldn't have to do much at end of the season. But a healthy team may need to cut and sign new players just to be able have people available to play

I love the idea of having an 18 game season with players restricted to 16. It would add another layer of strategy to this amazing game. Do you rest your starting QB the first two games of the season and hope your starter doesn’t get injured? Do you play your backup QB against a team who suffered an injury to their starter? Do you just go all out for the first 16 and hope you have the playoffs locked by week 17? 

Two more meaningful games plus an extra bye week effectively extends the regular season by 3 weeks. I'm in favor of that.

But I hate the 16 game restriction on players. Increase the roster size instead.

9 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I love the idea of having an 18 game season with players restricted to 16. It would add another layer of strategy to this amazing game. Do you rest your starting QB the first two games of the season and hope your starter doesn’t get injured? Do you play your backup QB against a team who suffered an injury to their starter? Do you just go all out for the first 16 and hope you have the playoffs locked by week 17? 

Pretty sure the smart teams would wait it out a bit and sit the starting QB due to A)An injury or B)A team they believe they can beat without the starter. It would be stupid to pigeon hole the first two or final two IMO. I could see a team going with the first two games, but definitely not the final two. Analytically, it would be wise to choose the games for a particular reason.