Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

nucci

38 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

18 games will not fly with the Player's Association.  If the two parties settle on an 18 week season, with 2 bye-weeks, I can see that happening.

The owners won't accept that.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

That is where the EXTRA money is for players participating in playoffs but lets us expand playoffs into tournament where all teams play.  #1 plays #16, #2 plays #15, etc.

Interesting concept. Would you eliminate conference distinctions once playoffs are reached ? I’m not sure there is a need any longer for AFC vs NFC Supebowl. 

41 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

18 games will not fly with the Player's Association.  If the two parties settle on an 18 week season, with 2 bye-weeks, I can see that happening.

I hope not. 18 games is fine,  but 2 bye weeks would suck. I recall a season in the 90’s that featured 2 bye weeks and it was brutal. 

32 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I can’t comprehend how an 18 game schedule with 2 buys and only 2 preseason games wouldn’t be enough compromise for both sides.

How on earth can you field a team with only 53 players when you have to limit them to 16 games? It don't math.  You play more that 22 players each week. (I will assume kickers, punters and long snappers are exempt from the 16-game rule?)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just get rid of 2 preseason games ( the first and last PS games are currently a jokefest) add 2 regular season games and keep it at one bye per team. Tweak the practice rules for more practice time and scrimmages to evaluate / make cuts. Something in there for the players and the owners. 

20 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting concept. Would you eliminate conference distinctions once playoffs are reached ? I’m not sure there is a need any longer for AFC vs NFC Supebowl. 

No otherwise it would be #1 vs #32.  It would be #1-#16 per conference.

https://i.ibb.co/6X1bR4C/Playoffs.png

Playoffs.png

Edited by Limeaid

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No otherwise it would be #1 vs #32.  It would be #1-#16 per conference.

https://i.ibb.co/6X1bR4C/Playoffs.png

...do players get extra pre-season games pay compensation or are 4 pre-season games and 16 regular season games all covered under their "season salary"?.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...do players get extra pre-season games pay compensation or are 4 pre-season games and 16 regular season games all covered under their "season salary"?.............

Players receive game checks only after regular season games. The NFL takes over paying players during the playoffs with a set structure per player. 

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

More revenue...rich getting richer. More injuries...players objectified objects.

...bigger question is limiting players to 16 games played.......thus you have to start others with an 18 game schedule and use other backup players more often,diluting the product......how does "limiting players to 16 games played" work?.....full games?.....cumulative minutes that constitute a "game played( 30, 45, or ??)"?...quite the effed up proposed mess IMO....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Just do away with preseason games, increase roster size by 8-10 players and go to 18 games

2 preseason games and add an extra bye week.  That would seem to cover the safety bucket. 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

2 preseason games and add an extra bye week.  That would seem to cover the safety bucket. 

No need for extra bye week. It’s purpose is only to add an extra week of games for networks as it is. 18 regular season games accomplishes this. Every game carries risk, even the preseason as we see each and every year. 

The NFL needs smaller stadiums, less teams, less games, less exposure and a minor league for GMs, coaches and players to learn -  to have sustainable success.  

It's a bloated, overexposed operation already.  

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...bigger question is limiting players to 16 games played.......thus you have to start others with an 18 game schedule and use other backup players more often,diluting the product......how does "limiting players to 16 games played" work?.....full games?.....cumulative minutes that constitute a "game played( 30, 45, or ??)"?...quite the effed up proposed mess IMO....

Just sounds like a whole lot of trouble to me...on several fronts. Wasn't this proposed a few years ago? It dissolves then resurfaces.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

18 games is cool... Player restrictions? Not so much... it’s interesting though I’ll give it that... It would lead to more young men getting an opportunity to play in the NFL...

They definitely would have to increase the roster size and practice squad for it to work that’s for sure which goes back to what I said about more players having an opportunity to play...

My initial thoughts on it is, I don’t like the pitch... With more thought put into it and a different pitch, it can be intriguing...