Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

nucci

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If I was a coach I'd just play all my starters the first 16 games because of injury potential.  Then let the chips fall as they may.

and that could be on strategy...be interesting to see what other people might do. 

Timing is one problem to me. Labor Day is problematic for both TV ratings and attendance, althouh I would love it.Maybe this pushes the schedule so that the SuperBowl is Presidents day weekend every year?

Terrible idea.

Two games of the season you are FORCED to keep your best players on the bench, and FORCED to play backups?

Imagine being in the midst of a playoff race... and league rules forbid you to play your starting QB.

This concept is a recipe for disaster in so many ways.

Change is not always a good thing.

The NFL had a perfect formula 20-25 years ago.  But they keep tinkering with stuff that doesn't need to be messed with.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, nucci said:

Just do away with preseason games, increase roster size by 8-10 players and go to 18 games

That would not help if same players are not active.

Many games at end of year become basically preseason games because teams have clinched playoff spots or they are out of playoffs.  In both cases teams want to protect players (aka Tyler) from injuries for different reason.  If I was league I'd offer it since players are getting larger amount of money but they want in return to cut down on the appeals on suspensions for certain violations.  The ones who really would be hurt would be those who are in 2nd and 3rd suspensions.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you want a longer season just add more bye weeks, maybe a wild card play-in round too. (But definitely dump 2 preseason games.) 16 games is long enough for players' bodies.

I wish they would add more bye weeks and have scheduling rules that one of them for every team would be before Thursday night game so no short weeks.  I'd also like more of the overseas games on Thursdays.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I wish they would add more bye weeks and have scheduling rules that one of them for every team would be before Thursday night game so no short weeks.  I'd also like more of the overseas games on Thursdays.

they would be starting at 2 am there??????

The timing of this should tell you everything...they're pitching it so that they have something to "give" in the next round of CBA negotiations.

They know that the NFLPA won't go for it, but as long as they put it on the table, they can concede it and say that they gave something up.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Did not mean England game.  Meant games like Mexico, etc, those in US and west.

I'd also like more of the overseas games on Thursdays.

Did not know Mexico and the US was overseas?

Had to do it!!!

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The timing of this should tell you everything...they're pitching it so that they have something to "give" in the next round of CBA negotiations.

They know that the NFLPA won't go for it, but as long as they put it on the table, they can concede it and say that they gave something up.

If they wanted it they would need to pitch it early so I do not see this as a strawman proposal.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Except they would since players get percentage of revenue.

Correct. More televised games = more revenue. Bottom line, the quality of the game has decreased since they pretty much did away with practice. The players want to do as little as possible outside of actual games. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, aristocrat said:

Crazy idea. How do you justify sitting guys? Need to add more playoff games. That’s where the money is 

That is where the EXTRA money is for players participating in playoffs but lets us expand playoffs into tournament where all teams play.  #1 plays #16, #2 plays #15, etc.