Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

nucci

In the NHL, it is common for the back up goalie to play when teams play in back-to-back nights to give the starter a rest night.  They could have schedules without back-to-back games so that every game is high quality, but they want more game revenue. 

In the MLB, teams have a rotation of five starting pitchers because they need recovery time.  Catchers get rest days occasionally as well because their legs need time to recover. They could schedule games once per week so that every game features the ace pitcher, but they want more game revenue. 

I understand and that the QB is more integrated with the other players on offence, but other sports already have accepted the practice where players in prominent positions miss games and the fan bases accept it. 

I agree with other posters that the NFL has something special where every game is of high importance which adds to the fan experience. I grew up playing hockey, but watch very few games because the wins and losses don’t seem to matter much in an 82-game season.  I won’t miss one play of a Bills’ game. With 18 games, the season is still short enough where every game still matters, but this is another step toward diluting the product. 

10 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

and?  Is there anything new here? The world is greedy, but you are pure of heart.

It has nothing to do with making the NFL better. It has nothing to do with player safety. It has nothing to do with mine or your own personal lives and whatever our hearts may be. It has everything to do with trying to squeeze every drop they can out of the most popular sport in America. In my opinion it will make the quality of the games worse because you are looking at two games minimum with lesser talent on the field across the board, especially at QB. It's like having two preseason games that actually count. Those games with that lesser talent could cost you, especially at the QB position. I can't see the players going for this. 

16 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

Shrug. I like it.   Removes two crappy preseason games and replaces it with two meaningful games.  Pro football is incredibly taxing on players.  This gives a chance to for injured players to heal up mid season.  That's safer for the players AND the team to protect the player long term.   Helps make the team/player make smarter decisions on whether to play a guy or not any given week.   I agree on the QB exemption though.

I thought about it for a while.  I like it.  Even having to play the backup QB a couple times gives them exposure, which to me is kind of intriguing.  Love the idea of getting second teamers more reps.  Teams like the Bills need to be developing players constantly as the draft is key.   

I like the way the owners are calling the players bluff.  18 real games that count?  Sure.   No preseason?  Excellent.   Season starts earlier?  Great.   I'm in.  

1 hour ago, H2o said:

It has nothing to do with making the NFL better. It has nothing to do with player safety. It has nothing to do with mine or your own personal lives and whatever our hearts may be. It has everything to do with trying to squeeze every drop they can out of the most popular sport in America. In my opinion it will make the quality of the games worse because you are looking at two games minimum with lesser talent on the field across the board, especially at QB. It's like having two preseason games that actually count. Those games with that lesser talent could cost you, especially at the QB position. I can't see the players going for this. 

They'll cut two preseason games that nobody cares about and add two in season games. Players, under this proposal, would play a maximum of 16 in season games, the same as today.  Your arguments aren't making sense.

They’d be better off playing three preseason games and simply adding another bye week to the regular season. The European soccer leagues have numerous breaks during their seasons. The NFL would still be on TV the same amount but it would provide players much needed recovery time and allow fans a mid season break as well. (You have to mow the lawn some time!)

15 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I love the idea of having an 18 game season with players restricted to 16. It would add another layer of strategy to this amazing game. Do you rest your starting QB the first two games of the season and hope your starter doesn’t get injured? Do you play your backup QB against a team who suffered an injury to their starter? Do you just go all out for the first 16 and hope you have the playoffs locked by week 17? 

Do you play backups on road so crowd at hone does not complain they paid full price for seeing backups play?

15 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Two more meaningful games plus an extra bye week effectively extends the regular season by 3 weeks. I'm in favor of that.

But I hate the 16 game restriction on players. Increase the roster size instead.

.....and which TWO games does Barkley start?..........

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Belichick will figure it out.

Yes he will find some way to cheat. He always does and fans will say that is great thing to do as long as he and P*ts win.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....and which TWO games does Barkley start?..........

See post before yours - away game since there are so many complaints from season ticket holders.

16 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

The regular season schedule has been expanded in the past. The records are fine. 

How many complaints to newspapers were made when they expanded to 16 games.  You are right.

17 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

This is going to destroy the record books. Once prestigious records will now be everyday norms. That pisses me off.

Some should just wear yellow pants so it does not show.

I like the idea of 18 games.

I don't see why it's such a hardship on players' bodies.  Especially if they force each player to play no more than 16 games.

Also ... how have all those perennial playoff teams survived all these years?  They've played up to 19 games.

How can hockey players in the NHL get through 82 games of a more physically demanding sport?

Stop testing for marijuana and the players won't have a problem with 18 games at all.