This time last year

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I never once said it was good... but line play was really bad around the league last year...

Worst of all time is completely hyperbole 

People seem to forget the losses of Wood and Incognito were completely unexpected. Was the OL good last year? No. Was it because of conscious neglect or mismanagement by the FO? No. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, transient said:

Damn, that is bad... impressive that they were able to get off that many plays in under 2.5 seconds, though.  Most teams can only manage one.

Sarcasm? It's so hard to tell these days.

9 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

People seem to forget the losses of Wood and Incognito were completely unexpected. Was the OL good last year? No. Was it because of conscious neglect or mismanagement by the FO? No. 

Wood is a no, trying to low ball Incognito is yes, and trading Glenn was a yes. Who knows if Incognito has a mental break or not if he is still with the team. Also, Wood wasn't as surprising as the total lack of skill from his replacements, including one who had done an excellent job at it just recently.

Yes I agree. Perhaps we are expecting too much in one off season. This is the biggest turnover of personnel that I have witnessed in awhile. As much as we need a defensive end and maybe a wr...lets see how the season plays out...unless Beane has something else up his sleeve.

It is so easy as Bills fans to be skeptical. Afterall, look what the Bills and us fans have endured the last two decades. I have a feeling that we are going to turn the corner in a year or two.

The people who brought us the Bills' 2018 offense are responsible for the 2019 version.  It's likely going to be better, but when you're offensively bottom quarter of the league that should be expected given how much they spent.  I'm sure their deep dive into UFA this year with what looks like 1-2 year deals is designed to get them good now while providing time to draft younger and cheaper replacements.  

That said, you've got plenty of teams in recent NFL history winning in the playoffs within 2-3 years of drafting their new QB.  Philadelphia, Kansas City, Houston, Chicago, LA Rams come to mind.

If Buffalo isn't competing for a division title this year it begs the questions: when will they?  Too much changes each year and expecting anything to remain the same for long is absurd. 

51 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The people who brought us the Bills' 2018 offense are responsible for the 2019 version.  It's likely going to be better, but when you're offensively bottom quarter of the league that should be expected given how much they spent.  I'm sure their deep dive into UFA this year with what looks like 1-2 year deals is designed to get them good now while providing time to draft younger and cheaper replacements.  

That said, you've got plenty of teams in recent NFL history winning in the playoffs within 2-3 years of drafting their new QB.  Philadelphia, Kansas City, Houston, Chicago, LA Rams come to mind.

If Buffalo isn't competing for a division title this year it begs the questions: when will they?  Too much changes each year and expecting anything to remain the same for long is absurd. 

That's well said, and I'm sympathetic,  but I dont think that's what McBeane think they're building.  They think they're building a system  that will get better and better for years, like the Pats.  

You can argue that they could have done it differently and gotten better faster.  McBeane will agree with you.  But they will argue that it's harder to stay good when you build that way.  

I don't know for sure, but I think McBeane would say that 2020 has always been the year that they expected the team to be successful.  I'd guess they think a .500 or 9-7 team is on target.  

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on, they were pretty bad.  The worse Bills OL I have seen in a long time.

What teams were worse in your opinion?

Arizona, Houston and Minnesota were all definitely worse. The Bills line was pretty bad.... I'd say maybe 29/32. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Arizona .. Houston and Minnesota were just as bad in stints

Ha I didn't even see this post before I responded. 

I 100% agree those three were the three worst in the league in 2018 and the standard of line play around the league in general was as bad as I have seen it. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Cardinals allowed 17 sacks in under 2.5 seconds.  That's pretty bad.

Well having a statue for a QB didn’t help either ( IMO ) 

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Well having a statue for a QB didn’t help either ( IMO ) 

Lots of statue QB's in the NFL that have way more time to throw than that.

PFF 2018 offensive line rankings at us at #26, Cardinals dead last, and the Fins at #31.  Poor Rosen.  LOL.

15 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Agree.  Still think Josh needs to a full season under his belt as QB to build a foundation.  

2020 will be the year the high expectations start imo.  

Unless Allen plays poorly this season then everyone will be back to panic mode 

16 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on, they were pretty bad.  The worse Bills OL I have seen in a long time.

What teams were worse in your opinion?

The only worse Bills line I can recall was the scab team in 1987.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't need playoffs to be happy; I simply need progress.  Next year is my, "playoffs or pissed," year.

We have been doing that for way too long.  Ditto the Sabres.  I'm not sure we're that patient with "the process."  Time to step up and win.

3 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

The only worse Bills line I can recall was the scab team in 1987.

Probably so.  Thank you for commenting on what I said and not what some think I said.

I said they were "pretty bad".  LOL. I'm sticking with that.

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last year, the board was struggling to come to grips with the Bills decision to trade up and draft Josh Allen when Josh Rosen was still on the board

Much calmer this draft...

The only thing is, I remember being very worried, personally, that the OL would suck and expressing that view...and having many tell me it would be OK, or at least better than I thought.  It was hoped that Kelvin Benjamin would be rejuvenated by injury recovery in the off-season and would be the #1 we hoped for, while Clay would be rejuvanated by having a QB more willing to gun it than TT was.  Alas none of that was true, and while Zay did take a step, it wasn't a Giant Step.

So....it's a new season.  Hope Springs for the Bills fans! 

I hope the new line OL is improved...I hope the RB corps has "spring" in their step.  And I hope Josh Allen has taken a step. 

Go Bills!

This. In the current year people express concerns and its called being negative or clueless. While the year before was obviously horrible and this year is so much better. But if you go back and look it was the same rhetoric about how they know what they are doing and its part of the plan, etc. 

I haven't read the posts in this thread, as they seem to have gotten into some detailed discussions that are nice to have but I'm not currently interested in them.

I do want to comment on the point of the OP, simply because I find the difference between last year and this year so startling.  

Everything seemed unsettled last year.  Giant question marks at quarterback, a big, uneasy feeling on the offensive line, question marks all over the receiving corps.  Concerns about the defense.

This year, there are questions, to be sure, but it feels like the likely answers are on the roster.  It wasn't like that year ago.   Between Ford and all the free agents, there should be at least adequate talent on the offensive line.   Coaching is a question mark.  Quarterback is a settled position; the only question is how much Josh will improve over last season.  Wideout has a couple of guys (Jones and Foster) who at least made some plays last season, a couple of free agent veterans who have had their share of success at the position (Beasley and Brown) and a couple of guys who are at least intriguing (Williams and Sills).  The defense seems more settled than last season, and Oliver can give us some hope of having someone special on the field.  

Bottom line, there are actual reasons why the team could be good in 2019.   They aren't there yet, but there is a whole lot less fear that they will be abysmal.  Last year, we had that fear.