Sign in to follow this  
tomur67

Trade Lawson and a 2020 draft pick for Clowney?

I would not give anything but a 6th 2020, possible conditional 5th.  The Texans may take it as the cost of buying cap space.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused 1

Clowney would have to agree to an extension before I made the deal. And I’d have no problem trading next year’s first. Would people really pass up Jadeveon Clowney if he was sitting there when it’s our turn to pick? Really? 

9 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I think it’s too risky to give up 1st round picks without knowing what we have in Josh Allen, and the entire offensive unit. 

If it was a sure thing that Allen and the O would take a big step forward this season, it might be worthwhile. But if things go the other way than this trade ends up being a big mistake.

sorry, but no way this offense does not take a step forward, they will certainly take a step forward. that said, I still would not give up a first.

Lawson and a 2nd works for me assuming an extension is worked out. I don’t see it happening but would be fine with it. 

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)

I would do it for a 2nd+Shaq, but the money scares me

Edited by Mrbojanglezs
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

sorry, but no way this offense does not take a step forward, they will certainly take a step forward. that said, I still would not give up a first.

I think there is a chance Allen plays at the same level or regresses, which would really limit the offensive unit and most likely lead to marginally improved performance despite the additions.

Obviously, hoping that isn’t the case but it needs to be considered when analyzing the risk of making bold moves like trading next year’s high picks.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I would do it for a 2nd+Shaq, but the money scares me

The Bills have strategically put themselves in the position to pay these types of players if they want to. They have one big time contract on the books - Morse. They have only one coming up - Tre White. QB on year 2 of rookie contract. This is when you make these deals. They could have no vet Pass rushers under contract next year. Clowney is in his prime.Contending teams have several blue chip players who are vets and they are $$. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buddy Hix said:

I think there is a chance Allen plays at the same level or regresses, which would really limit the offensive unit and most likely lead to marginally improved performance despite the additions.

Obviously, hoping that isn’t the case but it needs to be considered when analyzing the risk of making bold moves like trading next year’s high picks.

Fair point but I see no scenario where we would be using our 1st next year on a QB.  Even if Allen is not the guy, we probably won't no for at least another year.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

totally disagree but you're entitled to your own opinion.

enjoy the season.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

32 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

My point is, though, that it will probably be for a 1st rounder.  Not less.

Be tough to get a first rounder for him. Last year of contract. He’s basically a rental player who will want mega bucks.

No thanks. I kind of like keeping out firsts.

Why would they want Lawson?

6 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

or improves

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

To play DE after Clowney leaves 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills have strategically put themselves in the position to pay these types of players if they want to. They have one big time contract on the books - Morse. They have only one coming up - Tre White. QB on year 2 of rookie contract. This is when you make these deals. They could have no vet Pass rushers under contract next year. Clowney is in his prime.Contending teams have several blue chip players who are vets and they are $$. 

I get it, the time to pay a guy like this is now with Allen's contract. But it would be probably pretty close to Frank Clark's 5 yr(s) / $104M / 62M guaranteed deal

1 minute ago, nucci said:

cheap contract, decent player, buys them time to get a replacement

35 minutes ago, billsfanmd07 said:

If they are trying to trade him it just seems like a big red flag

yea, this was my first thought..

But i will say , probably for the first time as a die hard fan of this team , i completely trust and will be optimistic towards any moves made by this front office. 

If he had more productivity I’d give a first but the production just hasn’t been there.  I’d give a 2nd.  Paying an unproductive pass rusher 20 mill-+ a year plus trading away our best 2020 asset just seems like a vast overpay.  We could get a pass rusher that actually gets sacks and only pay him 3-7 mill a year for several years.  Or an all pro WR we’d be paying pennies.  20mill+ per plus a 1st......ugh.  

Not sure he ever made 1st team all pro (oh yes I do.  He’s extremely overhyped).  4 forced fumbles in his entire career. Zero playoff sacks in his career.  Meh.  Looks good in a uniform. Underwhelming results 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Fair point but I see no scenario where we would be using our 1st next year on a QB.  Even if Allen is not the guy, we probably won't no for at least another year.

I don’t think there is any scenario, except horrible injury, where we take a QB next year either. But without knowing what our O is capable of, it’s too risky to give up a pick that could be top 10.

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Clowney would have to agree to an extension before I made the deal. And I’d have no problem trading next year’s first. Would people really pass up Jadeveon Clowney if he was sitting there when it’s our turn to pick? Really? 

I would pass on him in a split second. Everything that this team needs is in the 2020 draft. There are probably at least 5 receivers who are better than any who came out in 2019. 

We have a QB who can throw the ball 5 miles through a brick wall. Let's get him some receivers!

I wish that we had even more picks in 2020.

Jmo.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

To play DE after Clowney leaves 

Obviously ...my point is they would probably prefer someone better

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

or improves

I think it is much more likely that Allen improves. But when analyzing risk you typically take the chance of occurrence and the impact of the risk and apply a function to score it.

I’m risk averse, so I wouldn’t gamble with my 1st round pick without more confidence that our O is a top 16 unit.

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

I would pass on him in a split second. Everything that this team needs is in the 2020 draft. There are probably at least 5 receivers who are better than any who came out in 2019. 

We have a QB who can throw the ball 5 miles through a brick wall. Let's get him some receivers!

I wish that we had even more picks in 2020.

Jmo.

I can’t say I disagree about the talent coming out next year and it makes sense to put premium talent around your young QB. I’d certainly be happy with a great wideout. 

It’s early in the evaluation process for next year’s draft class and I’ll be interested to see how the rankings develop. But at this early juncture, it’s hard for me to believe that any player will be more highly ranked than Clowney. And Clowney plays the second most impactful position in the game to boot. It would be hard to pass on him, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m good with a first. I just don’t think there is much comparison with a 2021 comp pick either way. 

I agree that a first and Lawson is reasonable, but I am not sure our first will be.  A lot depends on the expectations for the team - and Allen - this season.  If they are confident that they’d be trading away a pick in the 20s, then it is an easy deal to make.  If they’re worried it’ll be a top 10 pick again, then they can’t pull the trigger.

There is a lot of optimism here for our record, but Vegas doesn’t share that.  Only 4 teams have an expected win total lower than the Bills. And two more have the same at 6.5.  That would put us between picks 5 and 7. There’s no way I’d give up that for Clowney.  I’d use those low expectations and offer Lawson, our 2020 second plus our 2021 3rd.  Those two picks would put us in the equivalent range of a low first. 

This regime isn’t on the collective hot seat so I don’t see them taking the chance of offering our 2020 first and Lawson unless they are very confident that our record will exceed outside expectations and have us drafting in the 20s.  Still, it’s a risk.  Allen is big but he ran a lot last season.  What if he gets injured early and the season tanks?