Sign in to follow this  
tomur67

Trade Lawson and a 2020 draft pick for Clowney?

The way the Bills are drafting I wouldn't part with a first round pick for a player like Clowney.  He is a fringe star that is looking for super star money.

The Bills would be rolling the dice as much on Clowney as they would on Shaq.  Clowney's motor has been questioned since his days in college.  Although he has shown flashes of brilliance, he isn't the dominant pass rusher many projected he'd be

Obviously, Clowney has more upside than Shaq.  The question is how much is that upside worth?

I'd give Houston a 4th and Shaq for Clowney  Even with that, your most likely going to have to sign a guy to a contract more than what his production warrants.  Trading for him to play out a franchise tag makes no sense, and isn't something Beane would do.

Thats why I see him staying in Houston and playing out a franchise year.  If he blows up, he'll get paid by Houston.  If not, Bills will get him for free in 10 months.

..assuming that Clowney is now long term healthy, how much of a role has Watt played in his resurgence?..a lot?......somewhat?.....negligible?.....if, IF we traded for him, who on Blfo fills the Watt role if he has had an effect or can Clowney be a solo force for his expected $20 mil/yr tariff?...just curious.......

25 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..assuming that Clowney is now long term healthy, how much of a role has Watt played in his resurgence?..a lot?......somewhat?.....negligible?.....if, IF we traded for him, who on Blfo fills the Watt role if he has had an effect or can Clowney be a solo force for his expected $20 mil/yr tariff?...just curious.......

Oliver and Hughes will more than fill Watt's role.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Oliver and Hughes will more than fill Watt's role.

....good observation...next question is if the guesstimate of $20 mil/yr reasonable?.....if not, what do you see as a fair number?...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

42 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good observation...next question is if the guesstimate of $20 mil/yr reasonable?.....if not, what do you see as a fair number?...

I really think it's fair. People act like he hasn't produced and I think that's a result of not quite meeting expectations. This guy is 26 years old, an athletic freak, and trending upwards with 9 plus sacks in each of the last two seasons. I would give a 2nd/20 mil/year in a second. I'd strongly consider a first. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I would include a second for Clowney...question is, do the Bills want to pay the 20 Million even though they need a DE. They have to get one anyway.

Edited by Rocket94

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I would include a second for Clowney...question is, do the Bills want to pay the 20 Million even though they need a DE. They have to get one anyway.

...that number for a single player investment may be beyond McBeane's wheel house IMO...just sayin'...........

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...that number for a single player investment may be beyond McBeane's wheel house IMO...just sayin'...........

I know...the 20 million could be the deal breaker on a possible deal. Clowney may fit well on that line. If he is healthy, he seems to provide a better option than some of the other names floating around.

Edited by Rocket94

17 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I know...the 20 million could be the deal breaker on a possible deal. Clowney may fit well on that line. If he is healthy, he seems to provide a better option than some of the other names floating around.

...agree it is a tough call.....could see McBeane extending Hughes for perhaps two years and looking to 2020 for his premier guy......what the hell do I know though.........

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Legit talent at premier positions cost money.  There is all this talk about salary cap he’ll we had.  Well, that was because Dareus was an all pro DT.  The test for McBeane will be if these young player develop into elite players and demand big money.  

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree it is a tough call.....could see McBeane extending Hughes for perhaps two years and looking to 2020 for his premier guy......what the hell do I know though.........

I agree...it is a tough call. As much as I love defense and seem to have the answers, where are these players supposed to come from!

49 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I really think it's fair. People act like he hasn't produced and I think that's a result of not quite meeting expectations. This guy is 26 years old, an athletic freak, and trending upwards with 9 plus sacks in each of the last two seasons. I would give a 2nd/20 mil/year in a second. I'd strongly consider a first. 

We would be missing out on a strong WR class next year if we did that. 9 sacks can be found a lot cheaper, I think Clowney has reached his full potential, I would not expect more than that.

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Legit talent at premier positions cost money.  There is all this talk about salary cap he’ll we had.  Well, that was because Dareus was an all pro DT.  The test for McBeane will be if these young player develop into elite players and demand big money.  

I agree.  The test will be how McBean deals with their young players if they develop.  Unfortunately. Dareus played like an all pro in his contract year and has been decidedy average or below since.  You need to avoid paying players like that, and focus on those that are truely special. Not easy, but but not a skill that Whaley exhibited.  

Clowney is a huge risk in terms of a big contract.  Very talented, but not consistently great.  This has always been the knock on him and he has done nothing to exhibit a change in that perception.  I think paying Clowney a huge contract would be a massive mistake and I do not expect the Bills to do it under the current regime.  A big name, and a flashy talent, who only occasionally performs to his potential.  Buyer beware.  That is why the Texans are taking the approach they are.  

Trade Lee Smith for Clowney.  Straight up.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Trade Lee Smith for Clowney.  Straight up.

Finally an idea I can get behind.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billspro said:

We would be missing out on a strong WR class next year if we did that. 9 sacks can be found a lot cheaper, I think Clowney has reached his full potential, I would not expect more than that.

I’m not sure I agree a young player has reached his potential playing in a system not best suited to his talents.

Depending on this coming season plays out, and if it were me...I would target the best DE and WR on 2020's draft board. 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:14 AM, tomur67 said:

John Breech of CBS Sports suggests that it would be a logical trade between the Texans and the Bills.  The Bills would get Clowney,  but give up its first round pick in 2020 and Lawson. 

Nope too much 

So many people complain about the mediocre quality of free agents the Bills acquire, but when a better than average player becomes available ( especially playing a position of need) I can't believe why a lot of you are saying things like "he's really not good", "too much money", "wait, we'll get a better player next year" . What are you waiting for?  I believe every player you can get that is much better than what you have is worth it to make your team better.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

So many people complain about the mediocre quality of free agents the Bills acquire, but when a better than average player becomes available ( especially playing a position of need) I can't believe why a lot of you are saying things like "he's really not good", "too much money", "wait, we'll get a better player next year" . What are you waiting for?  I believe every player you can get that is much better than what you have is worth it to make your team better.

Wait he is available to sign?  Great let’s give up that cap space. Ooooo wait NEVER-MIND he won’t just require cap space. 

So so he is available at what cost. 

Say Dawkins, 2020 1st and 2020 2nd. And a 22M a year contract. You would do that?

Edited by MAJBobby

Give hime 30m year 1, 25m year 2, and get him for 15m per year for the last 3 years of the contract. We can easily afford. With him Hughs and Oliver, our DL would be way above average and the defence on a whole would be elite.

Posted (edited)

Where does Clowney rank among top DE in this league?

Edited by Putin

I was trade Lawson and a 2nd,  which can turn into a 1st if the Bills win 10 games or more. Clowney would take this D to elite. 

Clowney for a 1st and Lawson really favors Buffalo more than Houston, Lawson has shown to be a good End, but not necessarily a good OLB.  We might have to sweeten this deal.  You may disagree, you’re entitled to that.

Clowney on the Left side opposite Oliver and Hughes...#1 defense here we come.

Sign in to follow this