Mel Kiper Jr., Todd McShay argue over who knew about QB Josh Allen first

A good friend of mine worked for Kiper for over 10 years. Some of those years he was in Kiper's ear during the draft. Mel knows a lot but his staff, which numbers over 10, does the work, they are the guys that go out to scout, do the research and the evaluations. It was alway fascinating to talk to my friend about how they size up prospects. His staff are really the brains of the organization though my friend told me Mel has an amazing memory. Mel also treats his people really well. My friend was in charge of profiling the top 100 players and top 20 programs. 

One of the most interesting things with him: we were at a Syracuse basketball game and in the middle of the first half my buddy says to us, "watch the players over the next 5 minutes and tell me which one could play TE in the NFL and why." 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Kiper is ok He can be annoying but he started all this and is the original.  If he's wrong he typically wont backpedal  he will take the lumps.  McShay is like a politician.  He  will go along with what is the popular take than minute and backslide at the drop of a hat. I refuse to believe he know anything about football He's a media creation  I'd take more stock in what the beer vendor has to say

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

A good friend of mine worked for Kiper for over 10 years. Some of those years he was in Kiper's ear during the draft. Mel knows a lot but his staff, which numbers over 10, does the work, they are the guys that go out to scout, do the research and the evaluations. It was alway fascinating to talk to my friend about how they size up prospects. His staff are really the brains of the organization though my friend told me Mel has an amazing memory. Mel also treats his people really well. My friend was in charge of profiling the top 100 players and top 20 programs. 

One of the most interesting things with him: we were at a Syracuse basketball game and in the middle of the first half my buddy says to us, "watch the players over the next 5 minutes and tell me which one could play TE in the NFL and why." 

Of course he has a team of scouts.  Did you think we thought he scouts every player himself?

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Image result for todd mcshay, mel kiper

The 2019 NFL draft has come and gone. As there is year after year, draft analysts attach their takes to prospects and claim themselves to be experts at grinding the film.

Of this breed, none are more well-known than ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay. The duo sit front and center at the center of all things NFL draft, year after year. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they don’t.

Prior to this year’s draft which concluded on Saturday, the famous pair got into a candid disagreement during an appearance on Barstool Sports podcast Pardon My Take.

While previewing this past weekend’s event, Kiper and McShay were asked who was the prospect the two had disagreed on most over years. Notre Dame quarterbacks Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn were brought up in a first mention, before Kiper flipped the script a bit. In a bit of a tongue-and-cheek sort of way, Kiper mentioned Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen, who played at a smaller college program compared to others in Wyoming.

Here’s a transcript of how their brief disagreement went:

Host Dan “Big Cat” Katz: What’s the guy you guys have disagreed on the most?

Kiper: The most?

McShay: The two Notre Dame quarterbacks are up there.

Kiper: …He hated Josh Allen last year.

McShay: I didn’t, I introduced you to Josh Allen.

Kiper: Oh, give me a break…

McShay: I did his conference championship the year before…

Kiper: …Oh, wow…

McShay: …You didn’t even know who he was, Kiper.

Kiper: Wow, oh… but you hated him, so you must not have liked anything you saw if that’s the case.

McShay: I had him as like the seventh or eighth best player in the draft, you’re out of your mind.

Kiper: Yeah, yeah, but yeah… OK. Go back…Hey guys, go back to some of the little commentary from Mr. McShay… Todd, Todd, Todd, when Josh Allen and… you’ll see what I’m talking about… OK, I had to defend the guy to the hill, the entire way through the process when everybody was beatin’ up Josh Allen, I defended him and here we are, franchise quarterback.

McShay: … It’s not even worth it anymore.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/29/espn-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-argue-who-know-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-first/

Kiper is 100% correct on this - he had Allen as his top QB or 2nd at worst over the pre-draft period.  McShay hated him.

If McShay wanted to be more honest, he could point out that Kiper didn't like Mayfield, though McShay may not have liked him either?

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Kiper: …He hated Josh Allen last year.

McShay: I didn’t, I introduced you to Josh Allen.

Kiper: Oh, give me a break…

McShay: I did his conference championship the year before…

Kiper: …Oh, wow…

McShay: …You didn’t even know who he was, Kiper.

Kiper: Wow, oh… but you hated him, so you must not have liked anything you saw if that’s the case.

McShay: I had him as like the seventh or eighth best player in the draft, you’re out of your mind.

It's almost as if people don't realize that there's video evidence and a written record of them saying things.

I dislike both of these guys, but Kiper did predict Allen would be drafted #1 overall

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22941605

and for some funny ready and a walk down memory lane:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2760376-bills-trade-up-to-draft-josh-allen-after-qb-apologized-for-racist-tweets

Some of the tweets are just silly. If you read down at the bottom Mayock had Allen as the #2 QB in the draft. 

42 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Kiper is 100% correct on this - he had Allen as his top QB or 2nd at worst over the pre-draft period.  McShay hated him.

If McShay wanted to be more honest, he could point out that Kiper didn't like Mayfield, though McShay may not have liked him either?

That is false and Kiper is kind of lying when he says Mcshay hated him

every single McShay Mock and big board had Allen in the top 10 overall 

Darnold 4, Allen 8, Rosen 9, Baker 14

he hated Allen so much he had him 8th overall in the draft

Edited by Buffalo716

I'm always defending Kiper. It's not that I like him so much, more that what he does is very hard to get right even 50% of the time. People say "let's see him be a GM". But how many GMs get it right? Even good GMs end up cutting a huge amount of their draft picks over time. All I really pay attention to with Kiper is when he's reeling off all the stats and facts about a college player, because he's like an encyclopedia of that stuff. Whether he thinks a guy will succeed or not I don't really pay attention to.

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'm always defending Kiper. It's not that I like him so much, more that what he does is very hard to get right even 50% of the time. People say "let's see him be a GM". But how many GMs get it right? Even good GMs end up cutting a huge amount of their draft picks over time. All I really pay attention to with Kiper is when he's reeling off all the stats and facts about a college player, because he's like an encyclopedia of that stuff. Whether he thinks a guy will succeed or not I don't really pay attention to.

I think he is spot on 80% of the time but a poor system can destroy almost any good player. Jerry Hughes is a good example. Highly rated at draft time but below average with the Colts

This actually cracks me up.

I hope Allen does so well this year that the rest of the pundits start tripping over themselves trying to revise their doom to luke-warm predictions.

Say what you want about Kiper, but he does not always follow the herd and takes some chances and heat for his opinions. I can respect that, even if he is waay off some times.

Then you have McShay of the play it safe herd-mentality trying to backtrack...ahhhh the sweet aroma of crow for dinner.

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

It's almost as if people don't realize that there's video evidence and a written record of them saying things.

You mean like when a cop does something questionable when he and his partner both have their body cams on and the dash cam is recording as well?