Mel Kiper Jr., Todd McShay argue over who knew about QB Josh Allen first

Image result for todd mcshay, mel kiper

The 2019 NFL draft has come and gone. As there is year after year, draft analysts attach their takes to prospects and claim themselves to be experts at grinding the film.

Of this breed, none are more well-known than ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay. The duo sit front and center at the center of all things NFL draft, year after year. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they don’t.

Prior to this year’s draft which concluded on Saturday, the famous pair got into a candid disagreement during an appearance on Barstool Sports podcast Pardon My Take.

While previewing this past weekend’s event, Kiper and McShay were asked who was the prospect the two had disagreed on most over years. Notre Dame quarterbacks Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn were brought up in a first mention, before Kiper flipped the script a bit. In a bit of a tongue-and-cheek sort of way, Kiper mentioned Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen, who played at a smaller college program compared to others in Wyoming.

Here’s a transcript of how their brief disagreement went:

Host Dan “Big Cat” Katz: What’s the guy you guys have disagreed on the most?

Kiper: The most?

McShay: The two Notre Dame quarterbacks are up there.

Kiper: …He hated Josh Allen last year.

McShay: I didn’t, I introduced you to Josh Allen.

Kiper: Oh, give me a break…

McShay: I did his conference championship the year before…

Kiper: …Oh, wow…

McShay: …You didn’t even know who he was, Kiper.

Kiper: Wow, oh… but you hated him, so you must not have liked anything you saw if that’s the case.

McShay: I had him as like the seventh or eighth best player in the draft, you’re out of your mind.

Kiper: Yeah, yeah, but yeah… OK. Go back…Hey guys, go back to some of the little commentary from Mr. McShay… Todd, Todd, Todd, when Josh Allen and… you’ll see what I’m talking about… OK, I had to defend the guy to the hill, the entire way through the process when everybody was beatin’ up Josh Allen, I defended him and here we are, franchise quarterback.

McShay: … It’s not even worth it anymore.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/29/espn-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-argue-who-know-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-first/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

McShay is a little two faced.  PMT is all about Josh Allen, so McShay played up his Josh Allen love.  The other day, though, McShay laughed at Kiper for thinking Josh Allen was a good NFL quarterback. 

right. this is exactly what I was thinking as well..... he quite literally scoffed at kipers notion that allen would be a good qb in 5 years.

15 minutes ago, HOUSE said:
Image result for todd mcshay, mel kiper

The 2019 NFL draft has come and gone. As there is year after year, draft analysts attach their takes to prospects and claim themselves to be experts at grinding the film.

Of this breed, none are more well-known than ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay. The duo sit front and center at the center of all things NFL draft, year after year. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they don’t.

Prior to this year’s draft which concluded on Saturday, the famous pair got into a candid disagreement during an appearance on Barstool Sports podcast Pardon My Take.

While previewing this past weekend’s event, Kiper and McShay were asked who was the prospect the two had disagreed on most over years. Notre Dame quarterbacks Jimmy Clausen and Brady Quinn were brought up in a first mention, before Kiper flipped the script a bit. In a bit of a tongue-and-cheek sort of way, Kiper mentioned Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen, who played at a smaller college program compared to others in Wyoming.

Here’s a transcript of how their brief disagreement went:

Host Dan “Big Cat” Katz: What’s the guy you guys have disagreed on the most?

Kiper: The most?

McShay: The two Notre Dame quarterbacks are up there.

Kiper: …He hated Josh Allen last year.

McShay: I didn’t, I introduced you to Josh Allen.

Kiper: Oh, give me a break…

McShay: I did his conference championship the year before…

Kiper: …Oh, wow…

McShay: …You didn’t even know who he was, Kiper.

Kiper: Wow, oh… but you hated him, so you must not have liked anything you saw if that’s the case.

McShay: I had him as like the seventh or eighth best player in the draft, you’re out of your mind.

Kiper: Yeah, yeah, but yeah… OK. Go back…Hey guys, go back to some of the little commentary from Mr. McShay… Todd, Todd, Todd, when Josh Allen and… you’ll see what I’m talking about… OK, I had to defend the guy to the hill, the entire way through the process when everybody was beatin’ up Josh Allen, I defended him and here we are, franchise quarterback.

McShay: … It’s not even worth it anymore.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/29/espn-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-argue-who-know-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-first/

Ah, the dear, sweet sound of revisionist history, when applied to the Buffalo Bills... I'm looking forward to more and more of this, as the pedants... oh, I meant pundits, sorry... realize they were WRONG! #gobills 

The fact that they are fighting over who recognized JA first is the best  compliment JA can receive from the media. Reading between the lines, it shows that they think JA is going to be a future star.They want to be able to say "I told you so"  later. This is about preserving their own scouting legacy!

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

McShay is a little two faced.  PMT is all about Josh Allen, so McShay played up his Josh Allen love.  The other day, though, McShay laughed at Kiper for thinking Josh Allen was a good NFL quarterback. 

Maybe McShay went back and reviewed the tape?

You know you've reached peak overexposure when the mock drafters are celebrities still in the news weeks after the event.  

There are days where I legitimately wish for an old-school draft on television.  Just a bunch of people at a bunch of tables with phones, walking picks up to a Commissioner in some hotel ballroom .No draft shows, no draft "experts", no 300,000 people.  I think it'd actually be more suspensful without the Kiper and McShay blabber for six months leading up to the event.

In the alternative, have a draft where once the pick is announced, the GM has to explain "why" they picked the player to the fans.  It would be must see tv watching Dave Gettleman up at the podium sweating through a tangent of explaination for picking Daniel Jones. 

McShay is a joke. His evaluation on QBs can almost be guaranteed to be wrong. 

Kiper isn't perfect, but he absolutely puts in the effort and does the best he can.

I'll listen to Kiper. McShay should have been let go years ago

Edited by Captain Hindsight
  • Like (+1) 5