2 year clock?

6 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

They will get 2-3 more yrs to take their plan to reality. The difference between todays Bills and the Bills of the past is night and day. It is refreshing to see a plan and leadership. I dont think anyone can disagree with the moves Beane made in free agency. Just about every contract was team friendly. Every position cannot be fixed correctly in one offseason but the Bills are more talented this season than they were last season. 

They have the same record as Rex Ryan.  

It makes zero difference if no one “disagrees with the moves they made in free agency”.  The proof will be on the field.  If they lose, they will be fired, and the more losing they do, the sooner they will be fired.  And yes, it could happen this season if the team takes a step back.  

I think the Bills make the playoffs this year, but if they aren’t more competitive than last year, serious questions have to be asked about this regime.

Edited by mannc

While Beane and McDermott are typically lumped together, it’s important to remember that they are graded differently internally. 

Should the Bills not produce as expected, I would expect McD to be the first to go, not both. Beane has been masterful thus far. 

With that being said, I fully believe the leash for McD is very long...and should be. 

13 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I will spare a long list of reasons. Just using what I feel the pace is set at. It’s almost impossible to see any leadership changes happen after 2019. That said, if we meddle for two years I see the fans out for blood and the leadership doesn’t survive after 2020. Curious if people think they get more time?

A wise man once said "When you start listening to the fans, it wont be long until you're sitting with them".

Personally, I hope Beane and McD are given the rest of Allen's rookie contract to make things happen. That's at least 3 more seasons, possibly 4 with a 5th year rookie option.

If they suck through that time, clean house with all of them and do a clean reset. But in the meantime, give them the room and rope to get the job done.

I think if they’re close one of the two next years, but still miss, they might even get another shot. I think ownership has a lot of faith in these guys. They carry themselves well and seem to make decent roster decisions. 

I think we might end up like Cincinnati with Marvin Lewis. Miss the playoffs a couple years but they don’t overreact. And I think McDermott is a much better coach than Marvin Lewis, and I also think Allen will be a better QB than Dalton.

They really just have to wait out Brady and the division will be up for grabs every year. They should have the long view to see that and continue to build their roster towards that time, which they’re doing now. 

At this point it would take something truly catastrophic to see either lose their job after 2019 season. It would take something like 1-15 and Allen completely regressing.

Assuming they spend in FA again next year,  2020 needs a highly functioning Allen and the playoffs or they are both gone.

They hitched their future to Allen. I was all in on Allen last year too.  Still think Beane has Hero Syndrome with at least some hand in the salary cap crisis and the disaster of the o-line(failing to address not Richie and Wood retiring) last year. Add Peterman and the all too often complete blowouts and you can see some reasons for a shorter timeline.

But it’s all up to Allen now. Progress, run less, don’t get hurt.

42 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

They really just have to wait out Brady and the division will be up for grabs every year. They should have the long view to see that and continue to build their roster towards that time, which they’re doing now. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Brady’s retirement alone won’t mean the end of the NE dynasty, as long as BB is still there.  He would have easily won the AFC East this year with Hoyer, and he’s busy fortifying their roster for the post-Brady era.  

If the Bills ever want to win the division, they’re going to have get much better, and of course Josh Allen is the key.  Now is as good a time as any to knock them off their perch.

14 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I will spare a long list of reasons. Just using what I feel the pace is set at. It’s almost impossible to see any leadership changes happen after 2019. That said, if we meddle for two years I see the fans out for blood and the leadership doesn’t survive after 2020. Curious if people think they get more time?

Personally I think this mentality kinda sucks, but I suppose I understand thinking about it.

All coaches and GM's get fired eventually unless they retire.

Our 2 clearly are on the same page with each-other and their staff, have a bought-in group of players and have all the knowledge and resources they will need to be successful. Clearly also, they didn't expect to make the Playoffs in year one, and were expecting offensive struggles last season.

There is no reason we should expect them to be going anywhere any time soon barring catastrophe. What would the real advantage be any way?

I got McDermott on a 15 year contract. Beane I'd go with the two year clock. I'd actually get ride of him, or layer him with a former player or coach turned scout as a football operations guy after this season, if it were me. Especially if his FA signings are huge busts again.

Edited by CuddyDark

16 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Are you bored?

Given what Beane & McD have accomplished with the roster change & getting into the play offs i think you almost have to give them a bit more time than previous regimes have had, Beane has put the team in a great place not just with the cap but with players & the future he & his team are on top of the cap & contract thing which i would think Terry & Kim would love !!

It will take at least another season to get the offensive rookies up to speed the D should be pretty good given what they did last year & what they have acquired I can't see a huge drop off !! 

This team is coming up & i think even given the power ranking being at 24th in the league i believe the Bills will surprise more than a few this year but hope they go under the radar because when the "Exoerts" pick them to do well it's usually not a good thing the Bills are better at being the underdogs until they prove other wise ! 

Go Bills !! 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Thanks

20 hours ago, KzooMike said:

So you would say they survive 2020 (two more seasons) if the Bills miss the playoffs both years?

It’s all about Josh Allen. Sound familiar? It should, because that’s the only litmus test that really matters here, and certainly for the 2 yr period mentioned. This staff is able to help measurably improve him year over year? They stick around. Any regression and the seats get correspondingly warmer. 

9 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I think if McDermott doesn't at least lead this team to 8 wins this year he could get axed for an offensive coach to save Josh Allen 

Mike Leach?

JK.  After last week, I firmly Bill-ieve...

19 and 0 baby!!!

GO BILLSSS!!! ???

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I can easily see a scenario where they are gone at the end of this year.

Depends entirely on how things go, and what Pegula's (clueless) expectations are.

There should be a scenario, however, where these guys are gone this year if things are bad enough.

20 hours ago, MtlBillsFan said:

The supreme leaders are the Pegulas. This won't change for quite a while.

And the Pegulas probably see the huge difference between the Rex years and the current staff. They also hear the great things being said around the league about Beane and McD.

These guys will be in Buffalo for a while too.

Huge difference?

Rex had 15 wins, 17 losses in 2 years in Buffalo.

McDermott also has 15 wins, 17 losses in 2 years in Buffalo. 

The fact that they have totally different personalities really doesn't matter much, does it?

It's also worth pointing out that Pegula gave Phil Housley a huge public vote of confidence about 6 weeks before he fired him this year.  Similar to what he did previously with Darcy Regier.

This is the big leagues and results matter.  It all comes down to Allen.

If he looks bad this year and we lose enough games, with expected key contributors not contributing, there could easily be a regime change after 2019.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Huge difference?

The fact that they have totally different personalities really doesn't matter much, does it?

It's also worth pointing out that Pegula gave Phil Housley a huge public vote of confidence about 6 weeks before he fired him this year.  Similar to what he did previously with Darcy Regier.

If he looks bad this year and we lose enough games, with expected key contributors not contributing, there could easily be a regime change after 2019.

To me, the bolded is undeniable, and yet many here think McDermott gets through 2020, no matter what.  Again, I think we're a playoff team this year, but the idea that this regime is automatically going to be given four years is just not the way the league works.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Depends entirely on how things go, and what Pegula's (clueless) expectations are.

There should be a scenario, however, where these guys are gone this year if things are bad enough.

I actually think a 5-7 start, followed by a heroic rally to 8-8 and playoff elimination, could be enough to get McDermott fired, especially if those eight losses included 3 or 4 embarrassing blowouts and two non-competitive games against NE, as in his last two seasons.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Huge difference?

I'm not sure why you are bringing the Sabres into he discussion. No comparison to make here at all. If the Pegs are running the Bills like they run an NHL team, we are in deeper trouble than when Ralph was the owner.

You are missing the point. They are making everything with a plan. They made the playoff on their first year. Then turned the cap situation around and found a franchise qb on their 2nd draft. They are structured and are building the team the right way. When did you see Rex Ryan and co. doing 1/10th of this?

Ok they presently have the same record. But this will change this year you know why? Because Ryan, the defensive guru, got fired after destroying a top defense two years in the job.

I could go on and on but if you can't see it, there is not much else I can write to change your mind.

Now, do the Pegs see it? I don't know but I sure wish they are.

Edited by MtlBillsFan

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Truthfully I don't think there should be a scenario for 2019 or 20 for that fact. It would have to be absolute chaos for this to happen. The vision and stability these 2 bring speaks loudly. Look at how many FA we where able to bring in this year. No free agent wants to go somewhere thats a constant cluster $#&@. Next years FA will be about a few final pieces. Don't ef that up now by throwing out ultimatums. 

• Like (+1) 1