WR John Brown (Ravens) to the Bills

57 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Eh.  Couldn’t get it done in Baltimore and they were quick to move on. And that’s with Flacco,  not Jackson.  

I just don’t see the need with who we already have. 

Actually he was excellent with Flacco.

Lamar was terrible passing to anyone

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I like this signing a lot less than Cole Beasley. Are we sure Brown can get open, or catch for that matter? Dude seems to have a lot of issues hanging onto the football. I get he's fast and right now Foster is the only vertical threat, but this seems like a lot of money for a guy who might not even be a top 4 wideout.

I just don't think you can hate giving Brown what equals to be the 23rd highest WR salary...and he's your highest paid wideout. That is phenomenal team building if you ask me.

37 minutes ago, Rico said:

I agree, the team was heading south before Flacco got hurt.

Check out his splits from last year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowJo02/splits/2018/

In the first 8 games, he had 31 catches for 586 yards (18.9 ypc) and 4 TDs, which prorates to 62 catches,1,172 yards, and 8 TDs. He also caught over 50 percent of the balls thrown his way--which is perfectly fine when your ypc is 19 yards per reception. In the final eight games, he caught 30 percent of the balls thrown his way. There must have been a QB change in Baltimore ...

Anyway, the starkness of the divide is pretty remarkable.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is a terrific signing and an indication that perhaps the Bills are more favorably viewed as they were last offseason. I'm in.

He's the WR I most wanted. He's a #1 WR on a few WR poor rosters. And if Foster improves like we expect, we got John Brown as the 1b WR. I love the depth we got here regardless.

I'm ambivalent about Cole Beasley but he's got hands and elusiveness.. so improvement too.. It's not hard to improve with most any WRs.

I like that we're wising up to getting guys that fit Josh Allen's needs: speed, elusiveness, and hands. Not so much size.

Don't really care for Kroft much but whatever. Cole Beasley can serve the safety blanket role and Kroft can block if Allen prefers his slot in the passing game as a safety valve.

• Like (+1) 2

As much as I am excited and surprised by the Beasley signing, I think I might like the implications of this pickup more. 

Robert Foster was a great unexpected pickup, but it would be asking too much for him to be a #1 outside guy. If you can park Brown and Foster on the outside, and let Beasley and Zay hit the short and intermediate routes that ought to open up a lot for Allen. And I still would not rule out taking someone in the 1st if we trade back, or early in the second.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I just don't think you can hate giving Brown what equals to be the 23rd highest WR salary...and he's your highest paid wideout. That is phenomenal team building if you ask me.

The number is fine if he can actually play. I'm questioning whether he's any good. He was really ineffective in the games I watched, though he did score a TD against us so there's that. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Check out his splits from last year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowJo02/splits/2018/

In the first 8 games, he had 31 catches for 586 yards (18.9 ypc) and 4 TDs, which prorates to 62 catches,1,172 yards, and 8 TDs. He also caught over 50 percent of the balls thrown his way--which is perfectly fine when your ypc is 19 yards per reception. In the final eight games, he caught 30 percent of the balls thrown his way. There must have been a QB change in Baltimore ...

Anyway, the starkness of the divide is pretty remarkable.

i'm gonna go ahead and quote this so it makes it onto the next page

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

who?

JB-768x433.png

Though Brown only produced a 64.7 overall grade on the season, he still showed that he was a capable vertical threat, as evidenced by his robust average of 17.0 yards per reception (tied for seventh among wide receivers).

While capable of hitting the home-run for an offense, Brown has struggled to remain efficient when running his routes, averaging just 1.49 yards per route run, a mark which ranks 50th among receivers this season.

The five-year veteran has also struggled with drops, producing the seventh-worst drop rate among wideouts and dropping seven of his 49 catchable targets this season.

Brown can provide the threat of going deep for an offense in need of a receiver capable of stretching the field, but he will need to improve his efficiency and ability to secure his catchable targets to make a larger impact.

2019 Free Agency Profile: John Brown

2 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

He's the WR I most wanted. He's a #1 WR on a few WR poor rosters. And if Foster improves like we expect, we got John Brown as the 1b WR. I love the depth we got here regardless.

I'm ambivalent about Cole Beasley but he's got hands and elusiveness.. so improvement too.. It's not hard to improve with most any WRs.

I like that we're wising up to getting guys that fit Josh Allen's needs: speed, elusiveness, and hands. Not so much size.

Don't really care for Kroft much but whatever. Cole Beasley can serve the safety blanket role and Kroft can block if Allen prefers his slot in the passing game as a safety valve.

John Brown has been a number 1.  He is a 3 on a good team.  It’s a complete overpay but he has talent And it’s better to have too many receivers than what we had last year.  I predict he doesn’t see the end of the contract though. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

John Brown has been a number 1.  He is a 3 on a good team.  It’s a complete overpay but he has talent And it’s better to have too many receivers than what we had last year.  I predict he doesn’t see the end of the contract though. 

He performed really well when Flacco was the QB - far above a #3. The numbers tell the story. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well there's not exactly a pipeline of Bills WR's needing to get paid in the next 2-3 years so it makes sense 

Teams began focusing on covering Foster after his breakout forcing Allen to look for Jones, but unfortunately, Jones rarely gets himself open, and is not strong on contested catches.  Brown will be a much better complement with his speed.  He will put more pressure on defenses than Jones can.  Could really open things up.