WR John Brown (Ravens) to the Bills

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's a fair comparison, but imo Brown is faster than Thompson and has better hands. Thompson plays stronger and is more polished on routes, but overall Brown is the superior player for me.

I appreciate the feedback and agree that Brown is better, but is he 7 million better? Deonte is like a 2 million dollar guy. 

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Ummm he was getting it done in Baltimore before Lamar came in ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

He was falling off before Lamar touched the field. Under 30 yards in 3 of his last 4 games with Flacco.

Having said that, even when he's not catching the ball, he's putting pressure on defenses. He and Foster will both force safety help over the top and that should open up the middle of the field for Allen's runs, the run game, and Beasley.

1 minute ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

He's the WR I most wanted. He's a #1 WR on a few WR poor rosters. And if Foster improves like we expect, we got John Brown as the 1b WR. I love the depth we got here regardless.

I'm ambivalent about Cole Beasley but he's got hands and elusiveness.. so improvement too.. It's not hard to improve with most any WRs.

I like that we're wising up to getting guys that fit Josh Allen's needs: speed, elusiveness, and hands. Not so much size.

Don't really care for Kroft much but whatever. Cole Beasley can serve the safety blanket role and Kroft can block if Allen prefers his slot in the passing game as a safety valve.

Agree entirely. Brown is a 15 YPC career guy. Beasley is a slot guy, but he's elusive. Whatever you think of Allen, these are the kind of players you surround him with. He'll never be the most precise/accurate QB in the league, so you play to his strengths; guys who's number 1 trait is the ability to separate and make plays down the field. 

Beasley isn't particularly exciting, but he's a terrific fit in an EP offense and can help alleviate the need for a premiere TE if the draft doesn't swing that way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

John Brown has been a number 1.  He is a 3 on a good team.  It’s a complete overpay but he has talent And it’s better to have too many receivers than what we had last year.  I predict he doesn’t see the end of the contract though. 

I'm fine with an overpay for a proven WR that can do what JA needs for him. We might as well overpay on front loaded contracts.. which looks to be our gameplan.

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

The number is fine if he can actually play. I'm questioning whether he's any good. He was really ineffective in the games I watched, though he did score a TD against us so there's that. 

He can play imo. He had a down year in a sense, the Ravens ran some very weird patterns w/ Crabtree taking Brown's deep looks which I could not understand at all, between Snead getting a bunch of intermediate looks it almost seemed to me Baltimore didn't know what to do with Brown. He has a specific skillset that can be very useful in the right offense but he's not a jack of all trades wideout and that seemed how they were trying to use him.

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I appreciate the feedback and agree that Brown is better, but is he 7 million better? Deonte is like a 2 million dollar guy. 

IMO yes. The difference between a $2M NFL wideout and a $9M one is that the $2M guy is going to be out of the league come opening day.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He can play imo. He had a down year in a sense, the Ravens ran some very weird patterns w/ Crabtree taking Brown's deep looks which I could not understand at all, between Snead getting a bunch of intermediate looks it almost seemed to me Baltimore didn't know what to do with Brown. He has a specific skillset that can be very useful in the right offense but he's not a jack of all trades wideout and that seemed how they were trying to use him.

See the splits above. He was having a great year through the first 8 weeks - until the QB change, basically. 

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He performed really well when Flacco was the QB - far above a #3. The numbers tell the story. 

I know but there is a pattern with him.  He basically is the fantasy guy no one drafts, then he has a couple monster weeks, gets picked up, and then eventually gets dropped.  He was with Palmer and was pretty inconsistent.

its an overpay but he does have talent and I’d rather have more weapons than less.  

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He was falling off before Lamar touched the field. Under 30 yards in 3 of his last 4 games with Flacco.

Having said that, even when he's not catching the ball, he's putting pressure on defenses. He and Foster will both force safety help over the top and that should open up the middle of the field for Allen's runs, the run game, and Beasley.

That is misleading. The stomped TN, 21-0, in game 6, and the game was basically over at halftime. No need to go deep in that game after midway through the second quarter. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowJo02/gamelog/2018/

20 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I like this signing a lot less than Cole Beasley. Are we sure Brown can get open, or catch for that matter? Dude seems to have a lot of issues hanging onto the football. I get he's fast and right now Foster is the only vertical threat, but this seems like a lot of money for a guy who might not even be a top 4 wideout.

He averages 17+ yards a catch and is a serious speedster running a 4.34...pretty sure he can get open. Him and Foster are gonna cause issues for defenses having to defend deep and then Zay and Beasley will have room to work underneath...

Don't look at these signings individually look at what it does to the defenses...they have to back off because now we 2 threats outside to score on any given play. That leaves more room to be exploited underneath. When teams then try and come up and take away the underneath stuff then we hurt them deep.

This is basically putting the D in a no win situation.

Edited by matter2003

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know but there is a pattern with him.  He basically is the fantasy guy no one drafts, then he has a couple monster weeks, gets picked up, and then eventually gets dropped.  He was with Palmer and was pretty inconsistent.

its an overpay but he does have talent and I’d rather have more weapons than less.  

Never base assessments on the ups and downs of your fantasy team!

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

i'm betting they front loaded it... which makes it a bit better to deal with obviously

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

IMO yes. The difference between a $2M NFL wideout and a $9M one is that the $2M guy is going to be out of the league come opening day.

If thompsons so good, why is he always getting cut?

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Check out his splits from last year: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowJo02/splits/2018/

In the first 8 games, he had 31 catches for 586 yards (18.9 ypc) and 4 TDs, which prorates to 62 catches,1,172 yards, and 8 TDs. He also caught over 50 percent of the balls thrown his way--which is perfectly fine when your ypc is 19 yards per reception. In the final eight games, he caught 30 percent of the balls thrown his way. There must have been a QB change in Baltimore ...

Anyway, the starkness of the divide is pretty remarkable.

Oh, there’s no doubt that the biggest reason for his drop-off was Lamar and the O’s change for him... but the team (and O) were struggling for a stretch with Flacco before he got hurt, that’s why no one was surprised that Lamar remained the starter after Joe came back.

Anyways, great signing for the Beaner!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He's being paid with the 23rd highest contract league wide and he's the highest paid WR on the team...how is that an overpay?