Siberian’ stigma: How the Bills recruit free agents to Buffalo and why deep pockets don’t always help

Logic

Siberian’ stigma: How the Bills recruit free agents to Buffalo and why deep pockets don’t always help

https://theathletic.com/790400/2019/01/29/siberian-stigma-how-the-bills-recruit-free-agents-to-buffalo-and-why-deep-pockets-dont-always-help/

Denver Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. is not a free agent, which made diplomacy unnecessary.

On the Pro Bowl practice field last week, Harris was informed the clubs with the most salary-cap space entering free agency are the Indianapolis Colts (he nodded), the New York Jets (he kept nodding) and the Buffalo Bills (he winced).

I don’t know too much about the city,” said Minnesota Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr, about to become a free agent. “I know that it’s cold and there’s not a whole lot to do.

“But, as a football player, that’s all secondary. If the fit is right and you can win football games, that’s all it comes down to. Having a good time on the field is what matters. You can go anywhere and enjoy yourself in the offseason.”

Pass rusher DeMarcus Lawrence expressed similar thoughts about Buffalo’s reputation.

Lawrence is considered the king of the 2019 free-agent class, and the Bills sure could use one of him. The Dallas Cowboys are expected to use the franchise tag on him for a second straight year, although Lawrence has declared he won’t play under one again.

“Shouldn’t matter where you play,” Lawrence said, “as long as you love the game and are passionate about making plays with your brothers.

Nix noted that in two of his biggest endeavors with the Bills — replacing fired coach Dick Jauron and signing defensive end Mario Williams — significant others were crucial in negotiations.

Mike Shanahan has stated he would’ve been the Bills’ coach if his wife hadn’t refused to come.

The Bills offered Williams a contract that would make him the highest-paid defender in NFL history, yet that wasn’t enough. The Bills had to fly Erin Marzouki to town and didn’t sign Williams until two days later.

“We spent more time recruiting Mario’s fiancée than we did Mario,” Nix said. “He wanted to come. Buffalo was his kind of place, but she was a struggle.”

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No way is it SCS! 

I would imagine Buffalo is one of the hardest sells in the NFL for all sorts of reasons.

In fact, you can probably make a strong argument that our historic problems, at least in part, have been what they have been specifically because we are in Buffalo, NY, and not,  say, the San Fran Bay area.

And yet, the 49'ers moved.

How would state taxes impact the Bills’ chances to sign, for instance, center Matt Paradis? He’s considered the best center in this year’s free-agency class if the Denver Broncos don’t re-sign him.

With a guesstimate four-year contract worth $34 million and $18 million in guarantees, Raiola ran the numbers for the three teams with the most money to spend.

Paradis, after state taxes, would net $10.357 million with the Colts, $404,398 more than with the Bills and $677,622 more than with the Jets.

Western New Yorkers might counter quickly with the region’s low cost of living. Real-estate dollars go much farther around Buffalo than almost every other NFL market.

The problem is that virtually none of the Bills — not even the ones with small children — make Western New York their permanent residence. Most rent homes during the season, and even those who own a house will split as soon as the season ends. Defensive tackle Kyle Williams every January would extract his children from local schools and return to Louisiana. The only Bills player who stuck around last offseason without rehabilitating an injury was linebacker Lorenzo Alexander.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't want ignorant people asking for excessive amounts of money (a location fee, per se) to come to Buffalo to play. Players talk, the ones that are here, know the environment and most seem to love it once they're here. If you're seeking out employment, you get an idea from others, what it's like before thinking of coming to a city / team. Harris' comment (or lack there of) proves he's just ignorant. Maybe Buffalo isn't for him, but w/o having direct knowledge...that's just a stupid thing to do. Give me someone who's mature enough and wants to embrace the environment...not only be there because they offered the most money. 

9 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

IIIIII was not expecting you to defend that. 

Where is the compromise in forcing her to move?  

wheres the compromise in not moving for her? that's what I thought, none. hence, wearing the pants? control.

doesn't really matter anyway, he caved in to the wife and didn't take the job.

Oakland Raiders tight end Jared Cook is coming off his best season at a position the Bills badly need. As Cook weighs where he will sign in a couple of months, he said he’ll certainly consider: “The weather, of course, activities in the city, the team’s personnel.”

Cook discovered, despite going 4-12, something else mattered to him.

On his fourth team and in his 10th NFL season, the Raiders targeted him 101 times for 68 receptions, 896 yards and six touchdowns, all career-highs.

“I just want to be happy,” Cook said last week after an AFC Pro Bowl practice. “I think it’s important where I’m at in my career to enjoy myself and continue to ball

“Even though we was taking L’s, I found a coach that utilized me. That was fun as hell.”

21 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

That's the same story as Marvin Lewis.

I respectfully get annoyed with those who think this is our imagination and that it is SCS (Small CIty Syndrome).

EDIT:  Thus, the true importance of having a franchise QB here...to drag others in his wake.

Good point Donuts--there's always a ripple effect that starts with the QB--and that can be negative or positive. Look at Brady--how many FA's that signed with NE during his run have openly acknowledged that they wanted to catch passes from him, and that they were giving themselves the best chance of going deep in the playoffs as well? Gronk also stating this is the only guy he wants to catch passes from, the list is endless. Is it always sunny in Boston (no pun intended) and 80 degrees? This cold weather narrative could apply the same to many of the NFL's northern/midwestern legacy franchises, except it doesn't when their franchise caliber QB's make them attractive landing spots for FA's, coaches, etc.

During the drought, how many fine player folk were beating down the door to OBD when the likes of Edwards, EJ, or Van Pelt were slinging the rock?

That said, there is a changing of the guard coming, and we are well positioned to ride that wave, weather narrative be darned. If Buffalo was so unattractive to top tier talent as a rule, then the 90's run could not have been sustained as it was...of course Jimbo at first also wanted to duck out of being drafted by the Bills, but as soon as he got here and saw what Buffalo is all about, he quickly became one its most vocal advocates, and we rode the wave, so to speak.

Josh's success will similarly allow us to be better positioned to make this an attractive place to come play, besides only barrels of cash to throw around. I for one, can't wait to see this translate on the field.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Good point Donuts--there's always a ripple effect that starts with the QB--and that can be negative or positive. Look at Brady--how many FA's that signed with NE during his run have openly acknowledged that they wanted to catch passes from him, and that they were giving themselves the best chance of going deep in the playoffs as well? Gronk also stating this is the only guy he wants to catch passes from, the list is endless. Is it always sunny in Boston (no pun intended) and 80 degrees? This cold weather narrative could apply the same to many of the NFL's northern/midwestern legacy franchises, except it doesn't when their franchise caliber QB's make them attractive landing spots for FA's, coaches, etc.

During the drought, how many fine player folk were beating down the door to OBD when the likes of Edwards, EJ, or Van Pelt were slinging the rock?

That said, there is a changing of the guard coming, and we are well positioned to ride that wave, weather narrative be darned. If Buffalo was so unattractive to top tier talent as a rule, then the 90's run could not have been sustained as it was...of course Jimbo at first also wanted to duck out of being drafted by the Bills, but as soon as he got here and saw what Buffalo is all about, he quickly became one its most vocal advocates, and we rode the wave, so to speak.

Josh's success will similarly allow us to be better positioned to make this an attractive place to come play, besides only barrels of cash to throw around. I for one, can't wait to see this translate on the field.    

My tourettes blurt out turned into logic with your insightful post, Huds.

Tremendous!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Granted, it’s NOT LA or NYC, but I think the city gets bashed far more than is deserved by people who just don’t know. We have that reputation. 

I think it's more about the team never winning than the actual city....

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

I didn’t paste the entire Article since  it’s a paid subscription and not sure if that’s allowed,  but there were a number of reasons laid out. Lack of winning was one, but not really weighted higher than others. It depended on the player interviewed. Buddy nix said it was one factor, one of many. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, nucci said:

I’d argue that would also be misinformed. The last 10 years don’t count as much as the NEXT 10 years, and I think the future looks promising. Mrs Shanahan’s Buffalo veto was not based upon winning, so I’m sure there is some of both.