Kyle Crabbs’ Mock Draft 5.0: Bills take DE Clelin Farrell

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, cage said:

Nothing wrong w/ Ferrell, but this mock they has QBs picked at #10 and #13.  I have little doubt the Redskins want to move to #9 in this scenario pretty badly.  If we got an extra 2nd or high 3rd I would have to believe we would do that.

Im not high on Ferrell as a top 10 guy yet, IMO trading down with Washington would be ideal for both teams. Last years move up by Buffalo is a very similar situation and they paid a 27% and 29% premium to move up into the top ten according to the JJ and RH trade charts respectively. Thats the market value I think they would be looking for in return in a possible trade down with Washington.

Buffalo trading picks 9 and 167 (pick 8 round 6, pre-comp pick), for Washington's first 3 picks, 15, 46, and 76 would be a premium increase of 24% and 28% according to the JJ and RH trade charts. Sounds like a win win, the Skins jump Denver for their QB of the future, Buffalo moves back and gets a top end prospect and 2 day 2 picks. IMO that would be a great deal both teams. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It depends on if they are thinking short term or long term. This staff seems to think more long term. I don’t think with Hughes in his 30s that would preclude them from drafting a DE if he’s the best player available on their board. even if they keep both him and Shaq. 

I cant see how Shaq and Hughes situations, throw in Murphy as well would stop them from taking Ferrell if they see him as a top 10 value and/or BPA at 9.

Shaq isnt a legit pass rush threat and is the 43 run stuffing base end he has always been, Hughes is a pass rush threat and great all around DE IMO, but will be 31 when the season starts and the decline will come sooner rather than later, and Murphy is an injury concern who can be cut with minimal cap implications. Taking a pass rushing DE at 9 is in play IMO, if they believe Ferrell fits the mold and is worth the pick, I dont think they'd hesitate to pull the trigger on him a 9, maybe at the cost of not trading down with say Washington, similar to what Denver did in the last draft, not moving down to take the pass rusher. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

And if Lawson is signed to the 5th year of his rookie contract, where would they put the rookie.  Hughes on one side and Lawson on the other side.  They will address DE (Depth player) in later rounds..can't see them taking a DE unless he can be moved to OLB.

I think McDermott wants to improve upon Lawson.  He can be a nice rotational piece but not you're #1 DE opposite Hughes.  He doesn't bring enough in pass rushing.  

If we don't add another DE early in the draft, Murphy I believe would start over Lawson (if healthy).  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Trent Murphy is the other issue.  He was invisible in 2018, but he is under contract with some unpleasant dead cap issues if released.

Not really. Cutting him results in $3.5 million in dead cap for 2019 but we’d still be saving $5 million.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

And if Lawson is signed to the 5th year of his rookie contract, where would they put the rookie.  Hughes on one side and Lawson on the other side.  They will address DE (Depth player) in later rounds..can't see them taking a DE unless he can be moved to OLB.

Could see Frazier using a Giants like Nascar pass rush package with Hughes on one end, Rookie DE on other and 2 of Shaq/Murphy/Zo at DT positions.  OBD has to consider risk of Jerry or Shaq walking in FA after 2019 and, given Jerry's age, hire a replacement.  We could use another edge rusher even if Shaq signs a 5th year option.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cage said:

Nothing wrong w/ Ferrell, but this mock they has QBs picked at #10 and #13.  I have little doubt the Redskins want to move to #9 in this scenario pretty badly.  If we got an extra 2nd or high 3rd I would have to believe we would do that.

Bills wont move out of 9 unless a 2 is involved- value chart says so as well.

31 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

We take a DE and leave Dalton Risner, Yodny Cajuste and Jawaan Taylor on the board? I very much doubt this.

I think Risner is available in Rd. 2, or later in Rd. 1.   Ideally the Bills get both.  They got their QB and MLB last year.   They have a way to get the guys they want. 

I'm very cautious of D-lineman from Clemson and Alabama.  A top 10 Dlineman needs to be a game changer if you draft them that high.  The talent on the overall line enhances the production of each individual.  Hard to say who benefits more with playing with each other.  

GTFOH with doomsday scenario! Ferrell is the real deal. As I've said many times, devote all other resources to offense, but find a STUD pass rusher. If Jonah Williams is half as good as many on this board claim, this is a slam dunk pick. He abused him in the NC game. I'd like the see him run in the 4.6 range and do well in the 3 cone, which I think he will. Also, we're supposed to avoid Clemson DE's? Please. Remember that bum from Cal who slipped in the draft because his predecessors failed? Think he plays for the Packers.

I would take this guy all day long if those top 8 picks fell the way they did. Who cares what the draft people would say, this is a guy the Bills DEPERATELY need

16. Carolina Panthers: Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State

No one helped their stock more at the 2019 Reese’s Senior Bowl than Kansas State’s Dalton Risner. Risner was widely perceived as a guard convert entering the week. And heck, he still might be. But one that that’s certain either way is this dude is mean as hell and he’s got the kind of mauler mentality you absolutely love.

The Panthers are facing some changes up front and Cam Newton’s health has been an area of concern in recent years. Investing up front to get the line right is a must. Risner can feasibly play Center, Guard or Tackle at a high level.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I would take this guy all day long if those top 8 picks fell the way they did. Who cares what the draft people would say, this is a guy the Bills DEPERATELY need

16. Carolina Panthers: Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State

No one helped their stock more at the 2019 Reese’s Senior Bowl than Kansas State’s Dalton Risner. Risner was widely perceived as a guard convert entering the week. And heck, he still might be. But one that that’s certain either way is this dude is mean as hell and he’s got the kind of mauler mentality you absolutely love.

The Panthers are facing some changes up front and Cam Newton’s health has been an area of concern in recent years. Investing up front to get the line right is a must. Risner can feasibly play Center, Guard or Tackle at a high level.

If we could trade down with Washington and still get this guy that would be perfect. 

Our best DE isn't getting any younger and Kyle just retired.  Either of those positions is not out of the question.  Not our biggest need, but a need none the less. Someone really good will fall to us and I am good with that. I am also good with a trade down scenario. There is so much talent on defense, in this draft, it just makes sense to go get a difference maker early. No clue how things will play out, but a dream scenario would be both Washington and Denver in a bidding war for our draft position.

Always wondered how that worked. Washington wants to move up for a QB.....Are the Bills allowed to then call Denver and say "hey, Wash. wants to jump you for a QB, unless you make us an offer we can't refuse." Or does Buffalo have to wait for them to call us?