What was the motivation for leaking the old Josh Allen tweets?

14 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

There could have been any number or motives here. And, yes, it is certainly possible that the Bills were the team that leaked the tweets. Yes, they supposedly were the only team to grill Josh about these tweets after they came out, but that could have been a mirage in and of itself to alleviate (and disguise the leak) from Josh and his agent. Let's remember a few things:

1. The Bills were on the Josh Allen bang wagon for some time. I firmly believe that he is the QB they targeted all along, and would have taken him #1 overall if they were in the position to do so. 

2. When the Jets moved up to 3, the Bills were potentially in the position to lose out on 3 (possibly even all 4) of the top-rated QBs in the draft. 

3. Aside from the Browns and Jets who ultimately took QBs, there was a legitimate concern that both the Giants (picking at 2) as well as the Broncos (picking at 5) were in the QB market. The Bills had tried to work out a deal with both the Giants and Browns to move up from 7 but the price to do so was prohibitive for the Bills (at least both 2018 first rounders in addition to 2019 first round pick). The Bills had a framework deal in place with the Broncos that would have included both first round picks (plus more) to move up to 5; however, when the Browns surprised by taking the CB at #4 and left the DE on the board at #5, the Broncos reneged. The Colts were dead-set on the OG, so the Bills wound up finally working the deal with the Bucs. The price of two 2nd rounders seemed like a steep price at the time for moving up 5 spots, but we now know that both Miami and Arizona were also trying to move up for Allen as well.

Hence, there was ample reason for the Bills to have leaked the tweets in hopes of scaring the Browns (and there were some members of their front office who preferred Allen to Mayfield), Giants (who were looking for a QB to back-fill Eli but ultimately decided that Barkely was too good to pass up), the Jets (who seemed willing to take any of the top 3 QBs given the move they made), and Broncos (who may have been looking QB after failing to sign Cousins and settling for journeyman Keenum in the off-season).

There is also precedent in prior administrations for this sort of pre-draft shenanigans in Buffalo. Remember when Buddy and his scouts anonymously spread the word that Cordy Glenn was only an interior lineman at the NFL level and would not be able to play LT? Buddy even joked about leaking this misinformation once the draft was over. 

I know it seems cynical -- and I am not saying that the Bills were necessarily the team that did this as other teams (obviously, the Dolphins and Cardinals and possibly others like the Ravens, Pats or Steelers) had similar motives -- but this is part of business in the NFL. All is fair in love and war, after all. If the Bills really were behind the leaks, they can make it up to Josh by boosting his offensive line and acquiring at least one more quality WR (and TE) in the off-season. LOL 

I don't think that's our style, at least with the Pegula's and Bean.  Also, if it got out that we leaked it, I'd imagine we'd then have a QB requesting a trade. 

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

One thing about this that I thought was strange is that I recall Allen said that only the Bills reached out to him after the release of the tweets.  If other teams were interested in Allen, wouldn't they have reached out to Allen as well?

They reached out to ask about them... If another team leaked them for the purpose of getting him to drop to them I dont think they would need to "check up on him" as it might also give other teams insight to X team is trying to get him much lower.

All speculation of course - it could have very well been the Bills doing this.

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

1.) Malice - someone (either a fan, competing  agent, or journalist) was holding onto these tweets for months (maybe years) and waited until the last minute to release them to the press to hurt Allen’s draft status, in turn costing him millions of dollars and potentially sabotaging his career before it gets started.  

Extortion??

My guess is Arizona. 

They really wanted Allen.

And their GM is kind of a douche. I would not put it past him to have zero issue doing something like that. 

You can tell they settled for Rosen just by watching some of the team videos out there. Like the one where they talk about how they’re happily surprised that he’s not this arrogant/entitled/cocky prick that he was made out to be before the draft. 

Any of your explanatory scenarios could be it, good post. # 2 to me seems the most likely, but at the end of the day I’m glad things went the way that they did so we could land him, and some of the initial skeptics on the team given the tweets, such as Lorax, have also clearly come around because of the character Allen’s displayed since he got here. 

Side note: the NFL or any of its clubs have the ability to locate deleted tweets without blinking an eyelash, but security footage from hotel lobbies may as well be secured in Fort Knox?? Right....

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I blame Obama.

Royale, nothing to do with football here.

I swear to you this morning on the way into work they were talking on WGR about what has been going wrong with the sabres lately and alone, in my car, I said out loud, 'Well, if I were super racist I'd blame Obama."

...it maybe would have been funny if there were someone there to hear it.  :(

I need to car pool.

I do wonder the same thing, who did it?  I also wonder how much higher draft teams regret not taking him or lower drafting team did not trade up for him now feel.

Plus how many of these teams now are apart of the anti Allen media? There are some in the media that have favorite teams and loudly admit to it (some keep it secret too).  How many of those guys liked Allen for their team and are now anti Josh Allen? 

2 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Options in order of probability:

1. The Bills’ counter intelligence team

2. The other Josh’s (Rosen) agent

3. A disgruntled teammate

4. A jilted girlfriend

5. Some random social media sleuth

6. The Smoking Man

Im going with the Smoking Man, He DOES NOT WANT the Bills winning a SB!  I saw him say it with my own eyes!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i guess people don't pay much attention to the world except for Bills news on here.... Heisman winner got skunked as well.

Exactly- the sad truth is that some people cannot stand to see others achieve success. As soon as you get drafted high, win the Heisman, asked to host the Oscars, get nominated for Supreme Court, or make it to the pinnacle of whatever profession you happen to be in, there are going to be those that want to see you torn down. also known as "crab in a bucket" mentality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

This isn't a new thing- just so much easier to do now in the digital age because a) there are cameras everywhere  and b) people voluntarily put themselves out there on social media without considering the potential ramifications

Edited by Thunderstruck

Wouldn't be bothered if someone referred to me as a Social Justice Warrior because I tend to fall on that side of that ledger. Having that said, those tweets are harmless. He was a naive 15 year old kid quoting rap songs/lines from pop culture, etc. It's a non story. No idea who leaked them and I'm fine with that.

Spend enough time with someone and their true character will be revealed. Allen seems to have the respect of the team and that's what's important.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Dolphins.  This is something Tannenbaum would’ve done.  

This they were the ones that eventually drafted Tunsil. They were looking for a QB so i can see them as the culprits 

14 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Im going with the Smoking Man, He DOES NOT WANT the Bills winning a SB!  I saw him say it with my own eyes!

Good theory...but if he doesn’t  want the bills to win another Super Bowl, and Josh Allen is the quarterback to win a Super Bowl, then the logic fails. It only succeeds if his plan were to get the Bills to not draft him. 

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Wouldn't be bothered if someone referred to me as a Social Justice Warrior because I tend to fall on that side of that ledger. Having that said, those tweets are harmless. He was a naive 15 year old kid quoting rap songs/lines from pop culture, etc. It's a non story. No idea who leaked them and I'm fine with that.

Spend enough time with someone and their true character will be revealed. Allen seems to have the respect of the team and that's what's important.

I thought the story was nonsense when I didn’t know it was a rap song. Good God, political correctness and mindless racial whining makes us so stupid.

• Like (+1) 1