Levi Wallace ends season as highest graded rookie CB by PFF

YoloinOhio

My only question is do they factor in who the cornerback was covering? A second or third corner should have a higher rating because they're covering lesser receivers. Knowing how intricate Pro Football Focus is I'm assuming they took that into account. Great year either way.

Edited by cle23

I'm a little surprised he went undrafted. To me he deserved a closer look considering the circumstances, despite his borderline size/strength and 4.63 combine 40 (Denzel Ward ran in the low 3.3s). He was a zero rated recruit because he lost interest in football for awhile following a family tragedy (death of his father). He walked on at Bama and earned a scholarship while developing into a starter and their most technically sound corner (15 pass breakups his final year). I have to admit the pro football evaluators know more than I do but if the 2017 draft were held today I'm pretty confident he would not go undrafted (though I'm not sure how high he would go - 3rd? I mean there is room for improvement as far as defending the run is concerned).

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

You're just saying that because he was undrafted. Is Denzel Ward a solution in Cleveland?

Just not true.  I don't know how PFF came up with its ranking but Denzel Ward was an incredible player for Cleveland this year - when he was healthy he was borderline dominant.  Levi was a nice add but his unwillingness to tackle was a serious problem for long stretches of multiple games.  I would be saying the same thing if he was drafted in Round 1, it doesn't matter to me, I saw a guy playing with very little functional strength and horrible tackling technique.  

1 hour ago, boco357 said:

I wonder how much influence Daboll had with picking him and Foster up.

A lot I'm sure. Wallace was a walk on at Alabama, and I'm sure most NFL coaches see that and automatically dismiss him as not being good enough. Foster only had 14 catches his senior season, and he was buried on the depth chart at Alabama. 

I'm sure he's giving McBeane input on whether or not to draft Jonah Williams too. Williams @ LT, Dawkins @ RT or G.

30 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I'm a little surprised he went undrafted. To me he deserved a closer look considering the circumstances, despite his borderline size/strength and 4.63 combine 40 (Denzel Ward ran in the low 3.3s). He was a zero rated recruit because he lost interest in football for awhile following a family tragedy (death of his father). He walked on at Bama and earned a scholarship while developing into a starter and their most technically sound corner (15 pass breakups his final year). I have to admit the pro football evaluators know more than I do but if the 2017 draft were held today I'm pretty confident he would not go undrafted (though I'm not sure how high he would go - 3rd? I mean there is room for improvement as far as defending the run is concerned).

Ward ran a 3.3!  Dang!

Just kidding.  Wallace ran a 4.45 40 his first run at the Combine but injured his heel and that's why he ran slower the next 2 times. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I'm okay going into training camp with T. White, T. Johnson, and L. Wallace as our top 3. Bring in a vet to provide insurance (Ej Gaines back would be awesome) and we're good to go. 

I know he is always hurt but I'd have no issue at all putting EJ Gaines back in the mix. Even if he is a 4th or 5th guy, you could do a lot worse.

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ward ran a 3.3!  Dang!

Just kidding.  Wallace ran a 4.45 40 his first run at the Combine but injured his heel and that's why he ran slower the next 2 times. 

Yeah. 4.32. Thanks. 4.45 makes me feel a lot better. And 180lbs/6' is fine if a corner is skilled like he is. His run support must have been pretty suspect for him to go undrafted.

Edited by starrymessenger

16 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I know he is always hurt but I'd have no issue at all putting EJ Gaines back in the mix. Even if he is a 4th or 5th guy, you could do a lot worse.

I think it would be good for us and for him. He gets to be somewhere that isn’t relying on him, where he knows the system and has had success, and we get a good vet presence for cheap who can rotate/be a reserve. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Both UDFA's from Alabama had great finishes to the season...Foster led all rookie WR's in receiving yards after week 10, and finished 15th out of ALL WR's(rookie or not) during that timeframe despite the fact that some had played in 8 games due to us having a late bye.

Moral of the story?  If you are going to sign UDFA's, make sure they are from Alabama.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3) Levi Wallace was the best player on the field
- If the Bills were looking for some of their young players to give them a reason not to go chasing after a potential starter at their position, they had to be happy while watching undrafted rookie cornerback Levi Wallace. For the young, former practice squad cornerback, Wallace made a statement with his performance against the Dolphins. He didn't have just a good game; the rookie cornerback had a dominant one. Wallace ticked every box on Sunday as he was outstanding in run support, he was smooth in pass coverage and made Tannehill look for another target several times, and he even broke up a pair of passes in high-pressure areas. The best rep from Wallace that I saw in pass coverage was on his first pass breakup near the end zone, where the receiver tried to get the rookie to bite on a fake curl route. All the cornerback did was read the receiver like a book, and he didn't even come close to hesitating in running with him the rest of the way and finished the play by batting it down to the turf. In seven games, Wallace has been as pleasant a surprise as wide receiver Robert Foster. With his statement performance on Sunday, I think there's a chance the Bills might feel fairly content about the state of their top three cornerbacks in Wallace, Tre'Davious White, and Taron Johnson heading into next season. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills added a veteran cornerback to keep Wallace honest in the spring and summer, but the undrafted rookie flashed long-term potential in all of his starts. If he gets a little stronger, he has every opportunity to be an outright steal of an undrafted player -- just as he was as a walk-on at Alabama.

I love our CB’s and hope we continue to add a good one this spring. The Bills are going to be tough as hell to pass the ball on for years to come as these young CB’s and LBers gain experience.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

Did you guys forget that first Miami game?   They ran his way often which contributed a lot to MIami's rushing stats.   Cornerbacks shouldn't be trying to catch running backs from behind when the ball is ran at them.

And that wasn't the only bad game he had.      My sense is - if the entire defense was kept in place as it is right now - Wallace would be the weakest link on it.

This guy was often responsible for big plays given up on defense.    I suspect the Bills will add talent here and make him earn a starting spot next year.    

Right now the dude is flat out - not good enough.  Just my opinion.   One of many holes to fill.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Did you guys forget that first Miami game?   They ran his way often which contributed a lot to MIami's rushing stats.   Cornerbacks shouldn't be trying to catch running backs from behind when the ball is ran at them.

And that wasn't the only bad game he had.      My sense is - if the entire defense was kept in place as it is right now - Wallace would be the weakest link on it.

This guy was often responsible for big plays given up on defense.    I suspect the Bills will add talent here and make him earn a starting spot next year.    

Right now the dude is flat out - not good enough.  Just my opinion.   One of many holes to fill.

Do you think perhaps that maybe it was just a rookie getting his feet under him so to speak? You look at the first Miami game to make your points but don't want to use the second one to give him any credit.