Being realistic about the experience and talent Josh and Daboll have to work with

WideNine

Rather than bitching (complaining, nit-picking, whining, pick the appropriate adjective) about offensive production under Daboll or with Allen under center, I think we should all be more amazed that this motley collection below even have the capability to move the ball at all against other NFL teams. Just food for thought.

Ladies and Gentlemen these are your Buffalo Bills!

The starting roster on Offense for the Detroit game (at least for many of the snaps):

79 Jordan Mills T (Practice Squad Player)

73 Dion Dawkins T (2nd Year Starter)

75 Wyatt Teller G (Rookie -  inactive thru Week 8)

76 John Miller G / Ike Boettger (4th year struggling player, lost snaps during the game to Ike Boettger Practice Squad)

72 Ryan Groy C (bounced around the NFL for 5 years PS w/Chicago, traded to NE and spent that time on IR, injury settlement, waived and went to TB Practice Squad then to Bills)

16 Robert Foster (Practice Squad)

11 Zay Jones (struggling 2nd Year Player)

19 Isaiah McKenzie (Practice Squad)

35 Keith Ford (Practice Squad)

80 Jason Croom (Practice Squad)

12 Josh Allen (Rookie QB)

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Rather than bitching (complaining, nit-picking, whining, pick the appropriate adjective) about offensive production under Daboll or with Allen under center, I think we should all be more amazed that this motley collection below even have the capability to move the ball at all against other NFL teams. Just food for thought.

The starting roster on Offense for the Detroit game (at least for many of the snaps):

76 John Miller G / Ike Boettger (4th year struggling player, lost snaps during the game to Ike Boettger Practice Squad)

72 Ryan Groy C (bounced around the NFL for 5 years PS w/Chicago, traded to NE and spent that time on IR, injury settlement, waived and went to TB Practice Squad then to Bills)

Yes we really, really needed another excuse thread for Allen. Thanks for making this point for the 10,000th time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, WideNine said:

It's both encouraging and a little discouraging. Encouraging in the sense that he's been able to be decent and show considerable promise with such trash around him. Discouraging that this is what the FO has after 2 offseasons, and that we need that same FO to fill so many holes with high quality players. 

The o-line especially just needs a ton of work. Dawkins is really only an adequate starter at LT and while we hope Teller can be a starter, we don't really know that he can yet. And that's it. Everyone else on the o-line is horrific, including our "depth" guys. 

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Yes we really, really needed another excuse thread for Allen. Thanks for making this point for the 10,000th time.

You are most welcome sir, but you forgot that this was also another excuse thread for Daboll.

I will try to abstain from posting anything supportive about Josh Allen or Daboll on this forum - just for you.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, WideNine said:

You are most welcome sir, but you forgot that this was also another excuse thread for Daboll.

I will try to abstain from posting anything supportive about Josh Allen or Daboll on this forum - just for you.

And who’s attacking Daboll? The voices in your head? I am just saying try a little harder if you’re going to start a thread. The “they got no talent tho” line has been beaten into the frigging earth around here.

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's both encouraging and a little discouraging. Encouraging in the sense that he's been able to be decent and show considerable promise with such trash around him. Discouraging that this is what the FO has after 2 offseasons, and that we need that same FO to fill so many holes with high quality players. 

The o-line especially just needs a ton of work. Dawkins is really only an adequate starter at LT and while we hope Teller can be a starter, we don't really know that he can yet. And that's it. Everyone else on the o-line is horrific, including our "depth" guys. 

Agree 100% and I don't think we have anyone behind Groy at Center, at least no one was listed on the depth chart. Likely one of the Guards could be pressed into duty if Groy gets injured - not that he has ever been injured before... which he has.

If you could only upgrade one group, would it be better to upgrade O-line or receivers? I would say O-line because Allen can work with the receivers. If O-line could protect long enough for routes to develop or open holes for backs, that would go a long ways. Allen is going to make everyone around him better. I really think he works best with fast receivers but they need at least a year with Allen to adjust to the velocity of his throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think he has all trash around him at all positions.

Zay and Foster are good receivers.  McKenzie gets big separation every time I watch him.   The line isn't good but most NFL Olines aren't.    The line played well and graded out well in the 2nd half, both Miller and Boettger even.   Josh wasn't getting killed nearly as he had in previous weeks, certainly not as much as Rivers was vs KC or Cousins was last week.

The sack at the end of the first drive that cost us 3 points was on Daboll for having him do a full drop on the 30 yard line instead of a quick out/throw away play.

Its definitely not ideal but it's not gruesome out there like Carolina or Zona.

1 minute ago, CowboyBill said:

If you could only upgrade one group, would it be better to upgrade O-line or receivers? I would say O-line because Allen can work with the receivers. If O-line could protect long enough for routes to develop or open holes for backs, that would go a long ways. Allen is going to make everyone around him better. I really think he works best with fast receivers but they need at least a year with Allen to adjust to the velocity of his throws. 

Weapons are nice, but I think you have to have time to get it to them... I agree with many posts here about upgrading our o-line via free-agency and picking up some WRs in the draft. It is obvious that this offense could use some veteran influence, especially along the line.

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

Zay and Foster are good receivers.  McKenzie gets big separation every time I watch him.   The line isn't good but most NFL Olines aren't.    The line played well and graded out well in the 2nd half, both Miller and Boettger even.   Josh wasn't getting killed nearly as he had in previous weeks, certainly not as much as Rivers was vs KC or Cousins was last week.

The sack at the end of the first drive that cost us 3 points was on Daboll for having him do a full drop on the 30 yard line instead of a quick out/throw away play.

Not trash, I think they have found some gems, but I am amazed that they have been able to get these guys ready to play. And I would expect routes to be run poorly and more than a bit of miscommunication out there - just think they are doing a pretty good job all things considered.

Fair enough... it is not like I am a Daboll fan-boy, I see more than a few plays I would not agree with. The play you mentioned, that was a head scratcher, as well as the inside run for Josh that looked like a design play when we were running out the clock. I am fine with option plays where Josh rolls out and decides to keep it, or when he sees the defense has dropped back into zone or man leaving him a lot of room to run, but running him right into the teeth of the defense... he got rocked on that play.

10 minutes ago, CowboyBill said:

If we're trying to be 9-7 with a one and done playoff appearance, heavily upgrading one of them is fine. If we're looking to be great, both the o-line and WR's need a lot of work. 

9 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Zay is awful. Foster has looked solid and McKenzie could be a good depth receiver. We need at least 1 top shelf WR and more quality depth, and a real TE. 

The o-line has been horrible. A couple of quarters here and there doesn't really change that. 

Why does it really matter if it's not "as gruesome" as Carolina or Zona? Is that the standard or do we want the team to be a real championship contender? 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Next Year 2019

Jonah Williams T (1st round pick)

Dion Dawkins T

Wyatt Teller G

Quinton Spain G (FA from TEN)

Matt Paradis C (Denver Broncos)

Robert Foster WR

Adam Humphries WR (FA from TB)

Zay Jones WR

LeSean McCoy/ Bryce Love (3rd round pick) RB

Jesse James TE (FA from PIT)

Josh Allen QB

Edited by Tatonka68
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Zay has not really shown himself to be a good receiver.....not for his draft price point

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Does anyone know what the injuries were for Robert Foster in college?  It is my understanding that is what actually ended up derailing his college career and ended up being available to us as a undrafted free agent

He had a season ending shoulder injury in 2015, was in an accident on his dirt bike (Got hit by a car on it) in 2017...so I guess a variety of stuff, he was having a good year in 2015. I think it was a mix of injuries/other weapons/run first offense at Bama. 

BTW, this is the dumbest thread. Who is saying the Bills are talented on offense????? Did we really all need a run down of the bunch of nobodies on this offense? People legitimately thought we would be good on offense? This is just one big DUH

10 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

He had a season ending shoulder injury in 2015, was in an accident on his dirt bike (Got hit by a car on it) in 2017...so I guess a variety of stuff, he was having a good year in 2015. I think it was a mix of injuries/other weapons/run first offense at Bama. 

BTW, this is the dumbest thread. Who is saying the Bills are talented on offense????? Did we really all need a run down of the bunch of nobodies on this offense? People legitimately thought we would be good on offense? This is just one big DUH

this is the best we've had it in 20 or so years

sparrows digging in the horse manure for undigested oats

Yet somehow this offense has been moving the ball a lot better ever since the first Jets game. Somehow we have 5 wins when that looks like a 2 win team. I think Beane, McDermott and Daboll deserve credit for being able to do what they have done with what they have

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

this is the best we've had it in 20 or so years

sparrows digging in the horse manure for undigested oats

I prefer to look at it that in a down year we might have uncovered some useable gems like Foster and McKenzie.....

Josh Allen and T. Edmunds go into next year with a year of experience

Hopefully Teller biulds on his rookie season

We just need more good players

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is a fine testament to McDermott and his staff.

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

Yet somehow this offense has been moving the ball a lot better ever since the first Jets game. Somehow we have 5 wins when that looks like a 2 win team. I think Beane, McDermott and Daboll deserve credit for being able to do what they have done with what they have

That is the Josh Allen effect....it is a amazing what a talented QB can do for your team

Geez there are some guys that got screwed on the pro bowl voting.   :rolleyes:

Seriously a guy like Foster would have no place in the NFL with our other QB's over the last 5-10 years.  With a guy like JA at worst forcing the ball to him, all of a sudden Foster looks like he belongs in the league.  No star or anything but a viable player with a future.  That's all good

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

What I find interesting is that there are a few posters who rarely ever venture into starting a thread themselves, yet feel they are an authority on what is a good thread or not and are quick to offer their opinion. They are welcome to their opinion - of course, and I won't try too hard to change it, but I do think that if a thread is so terrible don't bother reading it, or better yet show some stones and start your own threads so others can sit back and judge them.

I just like to get conversation rolling on the Wall - take it, or by all means leave it. I don't really mind that folks argue about the same things from a zillion different angles and will be likely arguing the same things next season, it is what it is.

There are plenty of threads that state the obvious about this offense, yet you will still find plenty of people citing our lack of offensive production (the scoreboard) in defense of how poorly Daboll is performing as an OC or how poorly Allen is doing at the QB position. That is why I spelled it out in very clear, very "DUH" fashion as you put it, just how inexperienced and just how many castaways made up our starting roster last Sunday.

There is plenty of reason to hope and be excited about this offseason, because if they can produce with the group they have now I cannot wait to see what they can do if OBD retools the line and weapons Josh has.

• Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

In what world is Zay a good receiver? 

I understand the OPs point, but these are guys our front office and HC chose. 

So all these "practice squad" players are guys our decision makers thought were good enough to start. 

Lmao.

They wanted what they have. I'll give em credit for Allen to this point. Outside of that, their offensive decisions have been mostly  awful.

They chose what they could get. You are not going to get quality receivers to come to a team that has no one to get them the ball. They are not going to take more money to see their stats suck. Get a QB and then see the receivers start to consider a move to the Bills. The FO and HC found the QB, now you'll start see quality FA come too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Lot of young guys there.

Other than a semi serviceable Dawkins,  the rest of this OL is terrible. Other than a promising Foster,  the rest of these receivers are awful. It's fantastic to see we have a much more athletic & mobile qb than anyone dreamed of. But the only chance he has to be a franchise qb will depend on improving these 2 areas. And I'm not even factoring in a security blanket TE. That will have to come later.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Other than a semi serviceable Dawkins,  the rest of this OL is terrible. Other than a promising Foster,  the rest of these receivers are awful. It's fantastic to see we have a much more athletic & mobile qb than anyone dreamed of. But the only chance he gas to be a franchise qb will depend on improving these 2 areas. And I'm not even factoring in a security blanket TE. That will have to come later.

I think the O line is a major FA target.  They know they need to protect Allen more.

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

In what world is Zay a good receiver? 

I understand the OPs point, but these are guys our front office and HC chose. 

So all these "practice squad" players are guys our decision makers thought were good enough to start. 

Lmao.

They wanted what they have. I'll give em credit for Allen to this point. Outside of that, their offensive decisions have been mostly  awful.

I don't think it's what they intend to want permanently. Anything done these first two years under them is temporary and was always part of a rebuild process. The defnese is mostly set, we have $91 million in cap space and next year is year 3 of this regime. Next season will be put up or the start of put up or shut up

1 hour ago, CowboyBill said:

I completely agree. I pray we have our nQB of the future, and after that you build both lines. Shiny toys are great, but the game is won and lost in the trenches. 

11 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I think Teller and Dawkins will be the only ones that remain the same next year on the Oline. At least i hope. 

Yep. Among possible starters, at least. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Let me preface this by saying I don’t question Daboll’s football knowledge.  I’m sure he is a very smart guy and I respect any local, despite his terrible high school, getting so far in his profession.  But man, talk about excuse making. 

1 - Bama’a offense was better before and after he was there.

2 - his nfl resume is terrible minus NE

3 - do people not think the OC on a team with a defensive head coach doesn’t have a big say in personnel?  Instead of picking 2 undersized, not special slot receivers, he could have picked St Brown of ND who is getting time with the packers?

hes not going to get fires because SM would look awful.  But sorry for expecting more than 2 tds a game.  But all I heard all offseason was anyone would be better than Dennison.  Well guess what?  Our offense is worse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I completely agree. I pray we have our nQB of the future, and after that you build both lines. Shiny toys are great, but the game is won and lost in the trenches. 

I think most good O-linemen are team/family oriented and want to work for a team that will treat them like family. That is the culture they are building in Buffalo. Look at the way everyone talks on the team. It is all encouraging and you feel like they would fight for the betterment of the team instead of personal stats. One or two FA linemen would do wonders for next year. A 9-7 or 10-6 team next year with continued improvement from Allen will really draw the shiny toys in. Throw in some quality draft picks and this rebuild will be over and sustained success will be the norm. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Let me preface this by saying I don’t question Daboll’s football knowledge.  I’m sure he is a very smart guy and I respect any local, despite his terrible high school, getting so far in his profession.  But man, talk about excuse making. 

1 - Bama’a offense was better before and after he was there.

2 - his nfl resume is terrible minus NE

3 - do people not think the OC on a team with a defensive head coach doesn’t have a big say in personnel?  Instead of picking 2 undersized, not special slot receivers, he could have picked St Brown of ND who is getting time with the packers?

hes not going to get fires because SM would look awful.  But sorry for expecting more than 2 tds a game.  But all I heard all offseason was anyone would be better than Dennison.  Well guess what?  Our offense is worse.

You are not wrong, and I will not disagree with you on the picks of Ray Ray and Proehl.

I am seriously hoping whoever creates their draft board and ranks WR prospects drops the pipe this year and does a much better job this time around. There is a lot of WR and TE talent coming out this year... and yes, I will join you with the pitchforks and torches if they pick another slot smurf that is projected by most to be an UFA.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CowboyBill said:

I think most good O-linemen are team/family oriented and want to work for a team that will treat them like family. That is the culture they are building in Buffalo. Look at the way everyone talks on the team. It is all encouraging and you feel like they would fight for the betterment of the team instead of personal stats. One or two FA linemen would do wonders for next year. A 9-7 or 10-6 team next year with continued improvement from Allen will really draw the shiny toys in. Throw in some quality draft picks and this rebuild will be over and sustained success will be the norm. 

I think if you pay a player a ton of money, they will come here.  This culture thing is so overrated.  A guy isn’t going to come here for less money because SM took away the ping pong table.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think if you pay a player a ton of money, they will come here.  This culture thing is so overrated.  A guy isn’t going to come here for less money because SM took away the ping pong table.

But if a player has the choice between Jacksonville and Buffalo with the same amount of money being offered will chose the team with better culture. 

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

You are not wrong, and I will not disagree with you on the picks of Ray Ray and Proehl.

I am seriously hoping whoever creates their draft board and ranks WR prospects drops the pipe this year and does a much better job this time around. There is a lot of WR and TE talent coming out this year... and yes, I will join you with the pitchforks and torches if they pick another slot smurf that is projected by most to be an UFA.

Their ability to scout receiver talent has been awful to be kind.  

Thats why I don’t get the pass they get.  Daboll might have as much say in offensive personnel as any OC in the league.  He thought Peterman was good enough and that we didn’t need a 3rd qb.  He helped cut Foster.  Again, and it’s nothign personal, but I can’t believe the pass he gets.  Is it because we are Bills fans and don’t deserve good football? 

I like wins but celebrating a 14-13 “comeback” win over a crap team will hopefully be something we can stop doing in the future. 

Just now, CowboyBill said:

But if a player has the choice between Jacksonville and Buffalo with the same amount of money being offered will chose the team with better culture. 

Money

winning

opportunity

knows a coach

“Culture”