Being realistic about the experience and talent Josh and Daboll have to work with

WideNine

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Their ability to scout receiver talent has been awful to be kind.  

Thats why I don’t get the pass they get.  Daboll might have as much say in offensive personnel as any OC in the league.  He thought Peterman was good enough and that we didn’t need a 3rd qb.  He helped cut Foster.  Again, and it’s nothign personal, but I can’t believe the pass he gets.  Is it because we are Bills fans and don’t deserve good football? 

I like wins but celebrating a 14-13 “comeback” win over a crap team will hopefully be something we can stop doing in the future. 

Have no idea how good a scout Daboll is, he helped us raid some Crimson Tide under-the-radar talent, but having actually been there, that should have been a given.

I don't know if I can lay this just at Daboll's feet, but OBD has really struggled for years landing marquis receivers that can stay on the field and be productive.

He and Beane are going to be under a lot of scrutiny to see if they can really find the right tools to compliment a Josh Allen kind of offense. Getting our forgotten running game going would not hurt either - need to retool the RB position, clear some dead weight, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Keep in mind, a lot of these young players are playing by design. McDermott just said the other week that these last few games would be about evaluating the young talent on this team. 

I also didn't know they un-retired #12 for Allen... how 'bout that...

Not sure a lot of what we are seeing out there today was by design, but everyone is entitled to an opinion - and I mean that.

IMO - What I think I have seen is a staff that has been scrambling to fill holes caused by piss-poor play and injuries and what we have in regards to starting roster is what they were able to pull up from the practice squad, or grab off waivers, and some of it turned out to be not terrible.

I give a young front office a mulligan now and then, but some moves were just not very well thought out - like not having some veteran QB depth/backup which forced them to pull one guy off the couch and another off the street. That did not seem like a strategic move no matter how much you wrap it in "process"

I am honest about the above, but I'll add that if the the staff at OBD can be honest in evaluating their own performance and learn from past mistakes I am willing to see if they can grow into the role a bit and if that growth translates into success on the field.

8 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Not sure a lot of what we are seeing out there today was by design, but everyone is entitled to an opinion - and I mean that.

IMO - What I think I have seen is a staff that has been scrambling to fill holes caused by piss-poor play and injuries and what we have in regards to starting roster is what they were able to pull up from the practice squad, or grab off waivers, and some of it turned out to be not terrible.

I give a young front office a mulligan now and then, but some moves were just not very well thought out - like not having some veteran QB depth/backup which forced them to pull one guy off the couch and another off the street. That did not seem like a strategic move no matter how much you wrap it in "process"

I am honest about the above, but I'll add that if the the staff at OBD can be honest in evaluating their own performance and learn from past mistakes I am willing to see if they can grow into the role a bit and if that growth translates into success on the field.

Well, the fact that Beane came right out and took ownership of his mistake of not adding a veteran QB to the roster after the McCarron trade should tell you that the front office is capable of evaluating itself and realizing their mistakes. 

2018 is the proverbial "sacrifice season" in this process as they work toward sustained success for the future. They knew going into this year that the offense was super young and inexperienced and that it was going to be a bumpy ride. It certainly seems to be finishing up much better than the way it started, though. Even in their last few losses, they haven't been blown out, they've made it a competitive contest and have only lost by seven or fewer points.

And at this time of the year, all teams are scanning the waiver wires, looking at practice squad guys, etc. as they start to shape the roster for the 2019 season. You'll see in January a number of guys will be signed to "futures contracts" and all that. They're really still just evaluating and trying to see who has some talent they can work with going forward. 

And to give an example of "by design" I would point to John Miller and Ike Boettger. Miller wasn't necessarily losing snaps to Boettger for poor performance, its more that they wanna get a look at some guys who haven't had a whole lot of game experience this season. Combine that with the fact that this is Miller's final contracted year here with things indicating that he probably won't be re-signed here, unless they can't find any better options, and that's why Boettger is getting some playing time. I believe McDermott said he wanted to do the same with Milano's spot. He said Corey Thompson, Julian Stanford and Deon Lacy will probably all get snaps there over the last couple games. Essentially they're just sorting through the roster and trying to find out who to hang onto and who to let go as they gear up for 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CowboyBill said:

If you could only upgrade one group, would it be better to upgrade O-line or receivers? I would say O-line because Allen can work with the receivers. If O-line could protect long enough for routes to develop or open holes for backs, that would go a long ways. Allen is going to make everyone around him better. I really think he works best with fast receivers but they need at least a year with Allen to adjust to the velocity of his throws. 

I agree 100%.  In spite of my complaining about our receivers some of them have  produced.  We do need to upgrade TE though.  Is there any team getting less out of their TE's then we are? 

5 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

How are rookies and practice squad players a motley crew?

Where do I start on this?  There is a reason 32 teams passed on a player 7 times (some may consider that motley) There is a reason rookies take time to adjust to the pro game over seasoned vets who have adjusted to the speed of the game and been through the rigors of a 16 game season and stuck on rosters for multiple years. There is a reason star players get big contracts and perform at pro-bowl levels. Other take time to learn, to mature, to hone their craft. We may consider them motley.  

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

the point ------------>

O <-----------your head

Yeah sure ace I missed the point. After yet another thread which starts out castigating “people” whining and criticizing Allen and/or Daboll and offering up yet another variation of “they have no help.” That excuse hasn’t been used constantly innumerable times here in response to anyone, ANYONE who dares to think Allen, despite his awesome potential, still has a lot to improve upon or that Daboll’s success has been uneven at best. I missed the point. 

Keep it up though with the short, dismissive of responses though. That’s all you have to offer here after all.

11 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Yeah sure ace I missed the point. After yet another thread which starts out castigating “people” whining and criticizing Allen and/or Daboll and offering up yet another variation of “they have no help.” That excuse hasn’t been used constantly innumerable times here in response to anyone, ANYONE who dares to think Allen, despite his awesome potential, still has a lot to improve upon or that Daboll’s success has been uneven at best. I missed the point. 

Keep it up though with the short, dismissive of responses though. That’s all you have to offer here after all.

Y u mad bro

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

In what world is Zay a good receiver? 

I understand the OPs point, but these are guys our front office and HC chose. 

So all these "practice squad" players are guys our decision makers thought were good enough to start. 

Lmao.

They wanted what they have. I'll give em credit for Allen to this point. Outside of that, their offensive decisions have been mostly  awful.

That's because they focused on primarily the defense aside from Allen and Zay the past 2 drafts and cleaning up the cap situation so that they could build the team they see fit.  

They have a good defense and very likely now have their franchise QB with 10 draft picks and $90 million dollars to build their offense.  

Things are looking up and this next year is the year we will see them focus on the offense and add some staples as opposed to the place holders that are there now.

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Is there any proof this was their plan? 

Or are you just assuming the plan was load up on defense and let the offense suck? 

Yes, there is plenty of proof that they concentrated on defense and getting their Franchise QB.   Beane has had one draft and one off season to make moves to improve the team.     McD and Whaley did the previous draft, Whaley set the board and McD was the final shot caller.   McD, focused heavily on defense and by most accounts seemed to do well with his selections.   This past year Beane was in charge and it appears that he hit on his Franchise QB and then primarily focused on defense.

So yes, there is plenty of proof that suggests that the focus was on defense, getting their franchise QB and clearing up cap space to make future moves.

Check, check check!

They have been successful on 3 fronts so far (assuming Allen is the guy which it appears he is).  Now they need to finish what they planned which is using those 10 draft picks and $90 Million dollars and improve the offense.

19 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I'll be right there with you if Allen lays an egg in Foxborough. Not gonna happen. Kid has too much fight. We may not win, but Allen is growing by leaps and bounds with each and every start. Daboll is starting to turn this thing around as well. We were historically bad and he adjusted and we're shaping up and shipping out the dead weight.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You and many other fans are simply assuming this because the offense had been a disaster for most of the year. 

We don't know who set the board for the draft last year and their offensive moves to this point(outside of Allen) have been awful. 

They have a lot to prove. 

Excuse me.

If Foster had been a second round draft choice and was producing at the level he has been, almost everyone would be saying HOMERUN!!!

The fact that he was an undrafted rookie makes it even better.

McKenzie is beginning to look like another keeper.

Your characterization is flat out false.

Edited by Magox

What is kind of weird is that while there are so many holes, we can easily picture the offense getting better by next year. More experience for Allen and for Allen-Daboll together, Teller, Foster. Add 2 good OLinemen and 2 WRs through FA (lots of cap space next year) and draft picks, and the difference could be humongous. Defense should remain as good too. Special teams can't get much worse except for Haushka who has been money. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Um Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin. 

Foster has been good for 5 weeks. The improvement is very encouraging but not enough of a sample size. McKenzie is a slot guy, nothing more. 

You expect Rome to be built in a day? 

Zay wasn't Beane's guy and Benjamin was a whiff.

If the Bills aren't markedly better by next year on offense you'll have a case, right now all you have is sour grapes because they got rid of Whaley, the under performing Watkins, the legendary JAG Williams and god knows who else you are still upset about.

Give it a year and lets see what happens then.

On 12/19/2018 at 8:39 AM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's both encouraging and a little discouraging. Encouraging in the sense that he's been able to be decent and show considerable promise with such trash around him. Discouraging that this is what the FO has after 2 offseasons, and that we need that same FO to fill so many holes with high quality players. 

The o-line especially just needs a ton of work. Dawkins is really only an adequate starter at LT and while we hope Teller can be a starter, we don't really know that he can yet. And that's it. Everyone else on the o-line is horrific, including our "depth" guys. 

With no salary cap space the offense is what you can afford.

100% certain there will be at least 2 OL signing and maybe 3, possibly one or two added in the draft.  One RB, TE and WR in free agency and then draft best available in round 1 and fill needs with the rest