Not so fun fact-QB 3000 Yd Passing seasons

BobbyC81

2 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

One can definitely make a case that Marino was the GOAT. He would have had multiple Super Bowl rings if he had quality RB's playing for him and if the Bills weren't in the same division. 

I'd be interested to see what the 90's Bills would have looked like with Marino under center. 

6 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Youll notice the only QB on that list that is not from the Everything benefits the passing game era and he isnt toward the bottom.

That is one of the reasons I say Dan Marino is the GOAT and it is possible that an actual goat may have been better than some of the WRs and RBs he had at his disposal.

What's even more amazing is that he was drafted by the Dolphins and not the Steelers who watched him throw every week at Pitt and passed on him, I'm still bitter about it.

3 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

One can definitely make a case that Marino was the GOAT. He would have had multiple Super Bowl rings if he had quality RB's playing for him and if the Bills weren't in the same division.

you can't just put a great RB in your imagination and declare multiple SBs  :D

he was in the AFC, a total joke for almost all his career

they deliberately set up the team so he could pad his stats the whole game, throwing for yards at will in garbagetime, never grinding the gameclock out with a win

still one of the best ever

8 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I wonder how many times Kelly does

it if he played in this Era.

If you want to see impressive, compare Dan Marino to his peers.  Brees is quit impressive compared to his peers as well.

Yeah, it’s a completely different era now.  What Marino did was like Babe Ruth did in the white major leagues.  He was so superior to his peers.  But when Matt Stafford gets multiple 5,000 yards seasons, maybe it’s not that impressive anymore. 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it’s a completely different era now.  What Marino did was like Babe Ruth did in the white major leagues.  He was so superior to his peers.  But when Matt Stafford gets multiple 5,000 yards seasons, maybe it’s not that impressive anymore. 

how was Marino that superior?

he was the first to exploit the end of the bump and run and threw to two small WRs out there all game so he could pad his stats

but that's not really all that admirable

6 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

Comparing players to their peers is really the only fair way to do it when you're talking about stat comparisons from differerent eras. Ryan Fitzpatrick, for example, could conceivably pass Jim Kelly in career NFL passing yards when all is said and done. On stats alone, a completely oblivious statistician might think the two were comparable in talent, ignoring the fact that Fitzy played in the flag football era while Jim Kelly played in an era where running the ball was still a viable strategy.

Also, the career longevity of NFL QB's these days was simply not possible back then. I'm impressed by how effective Brees and Brady have been into their 40's, but no way they get to where they are now if defenses were allowed to play under the old rules of getting to the QB.

How about Joe Ferguson?  At one point he was among the career leaders in a few categories like yards, attempts, completions based mainly on longevity.  He may arguably be the 2nd most accomplished passer in Bills history but he was just an average quarterback.  

12 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I wonder how many times Kelly does

it if he played in this Era.

If you want to see impressive, compare Dan Marino to his peers.  Brees is quit impressive compared to his peers as well.

Dan did have a LOT of INT's though.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

What's even more amazing is that he was drafted by the Dolphins and not the Steelers who watched him throw every week at Pitt and passed on him, I'm still bitter about it.

And then Pittsburgh grabbed Roethlesburger out from under us.  Maybe we should view them with the same disdain we Have for NE.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3000 yard seasons were VERY rare until the late 70s and early 80s.

Until about 10 years ago, they were pretty much exclusive to the NFL's top passers.

Today, hitting the 3000 yard mark is standard for anyone who plays a full 16-game schedule.

Considering the Bills have only had one-true franchise QB in the last 40 years (Jim Kelly who played during the 80s and 90s), it shouldn't be surprising that we are way behind the curve.  Guys like Drew Brees and Tom Brady have played their entire careers during the pass-happy years.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The greatest thing about this franchise is the ability to find running backs and cornerbacks.  Too bad it’s not quarterbacks.  Hopefully, it is changing. 

Kemp, Fergy was far from trash in his era. We all know 12... now hopefully Allen

Some Franchises have never even had 1 HoF QB. We were graced with Jim Kelly

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kemp, Fergy was far from trash in his era. We all know 12... now hopefully Allen

Some Franchises have never even had 1 HoF QB. We were graced with Jim Kelly

What a low bar haha.  And what franchises haven’t had one HOF besides the newer ones? I was thinking the Lions but they had a guy named Bobby Layne I guess. 

14 hours ago, QCity said:

3,000 yards??? This ain't the 1980s. 3,000 yards means squat. Kyle Orton passed for 3,000 yards. In 12 games.

3k yards is not impressive at all, 13 QB's have 3500 or more yards with 2 weeks left in the season (4 QB's already have 4k yards.) 20 QB's have 3k or more yards. 10 or more QB's typically finish with 4k yards. Usually well over 20 QB's finish with 3k in yards passing. 

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What a low bar haha.  And what franchises haven’t had one HOF besides the newer ones? I was thinking the Lions but they had a guy named Bobby Layne I guess. 

Kemp won an AFL title and Fergy retired top 15 in pssing TDs iirc. Not exactly trash

And I’m talking post 65- 70s here , honestly 

Bobby Layne played in like the 40s and 50s . They haven’t had a modern HoF QB or the Browns. Yea they got Otto Graham in 1938 lol

as of rn the falcons don’t either I don’t think... unless you want to count Ryan which I won’t till he’s in

or Bengals 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

how was Marino that superior?

he was the first to exploit the end of the bump and run and threw to two small WRs out there all game so he could pad his stats

but that's not really all that admirable

He was throwing for 5,000 yards when guys were struggling to get to 3,000.  It was so much harder to pass the ball in the 90s.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Kemp won an AFL title and Fergy retired top 15 in pssing TDs iirc. Not exactly trash

And I’m talking post 65- 70s here , honestly 

Bobby Layne played in like the 40s and 50s . They haven’t had a modern HoF QB or the Browns. Yea they got Otto Graham in 1938 lol

as of rn the falcons don’t either I don’t think... unless you want to count Ryan which I won’t till he’s in

I know those names and respect the history.  I’ll be honest, I really only think about modern Bills.  Since Kelly, we might have had the worst qb play in the nfl next to the Browns.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was throwing for 5,000 yards when guys were struggling to get to 3,000.  It was so much harder to pass the ball in the 90s.

I know those names and respect the history.  I’ll be honest, I really only think about modern Bills.  Since Kelly, we might have had the worst qb play in the nfl next to the Browns.

Absolutely. That's what made tough wideouts like Andre Reed so much more valuable then (not that they aren't now, receivers are just protected wayyy more today.)

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Life is not full of cookies and lemonade in the NFL. 

Its a tough business where the cream rises to the top...

Developing an NFL QB is hard unless sometimes you are gift wrapped a NFL ready one...

Mahomes is THE FIRST QB since blackledhe to be a first round pick for the chiefs. That was like 30 years ago

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Bills have 28 seasons with 1000 yard rushers...

3rd In NFL history...

Actually, it's 30 seasons (the Rams are first with 33 seasons and the Bears second with 31). Cookie would have easily accounted for 2 more, but he played during the 14-game era. It just shows you how much the Bills franchise has valued the RB position over its history.

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They all did.  WRs and QBs were not protected like they are today.  Wes Welker and Edelman would not have lasted back then.  They would have gotten clobbered over the middle.

Dan Marino is top 8 all time in interceptions thrown. Most of the other guys up there played in the 50's and 60's. There are a couple guys from his time that had a lot too, including Brett Favre and Vinny Testaverde. Peyton Manning is up there too.

Marino threw a ton of INT's. Great QB, and deserves the hall of fame, but he turned the ball over a lot, so doesn't quite deserve the godlike status that some credit him with. And, of course, he never won a Superbowl.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Dan Marino is top 8 all time in interceptions thrown. Most of the other guys up there played in the 50's and 60's. There are a couple guys from his time that had a lot too, including Brett Favre and Vinny Testaverde. Peyton Manning is up there too.

Marino threw a ton of INT's. Great QB, and deserves the hall of fame, but he turned the ball over a lot, so doesn't quite deserve the godlike status that some credit him with. And, of course, he never won a Superbowl.

Joe Flacco won a superbowl as did Trent Dilfer and Doug Williams I guess those are 3 of the all-time greats there.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Once again hes 5 out of his generation.  Stop comparing him to the pampered QBs.

I have a serious question for you 2 actually.

How old are you?

How long have you been a serious follower of the NFL?

18 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

3000 yards is a useless goal. every QB in the league throws for that if they play 16 games. If they don't, odds are incredibly strong they;ll never start again. The new standard for a good QB is 4000 yards, of which Brees has 12. Without looking, I'm gonna guess that's 12 more than in Buffalo Bills history. he also happens to have 5 seasons where he threw for 5000 yards and one more that was 48 yards shy.

Bledsoe had over 4k in '02.  That's the only one I am aware of.  Fitz came close with a little over 3800 in '11.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Once again hes 5 out of his generation.  Stop comparing him to the pampered QBs.

I have a serious question for you 2 actually.

How old are you?

How long have you been a serious follower of the NFL?

I compared him to guys from his time and guys from the 50's and 60's. I didn't mention anyone from today's game.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Dan Marino still sits at #5 all time in pass attempts to this day, so that INT number on its own is a bit misleading. His career INT % is 3.0, which is right in the zip code of the top passers of his era. John Elway had a 3.2 INT % , Joe Montana 2.6%, Warren Moon 3.4%, Dan Fouts 4.3%. Simply put, Marino played in a different era of NFL football. That always needs to be a consideration. Your contention that Peyton Manning is “ up there “ in INTs doesn’t hold water. Manning currently stands at 3rd all time in pass attempts and his career INT % was just 2.7. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1