Favorite, and least favorite, Christmas songs.

I thought I had heard all possible, but last year for the first time I heard the Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping.  Enjoyable, probably since it hasn't been overplayed within earshot (yet).

Wonderful Christmastime has me running for the exit, every time.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hard to beat Dean Martin’s baby it’s cold outside, just for kicking back with some eggnog while decorating the tree, although that seems to be quickly getting banned from radio play per another thread; as far as carols go, o holy night is up there for me as well as German carols from that part of my family, like “Leise Rieselt der Schnee.” Classic melodies that always take me back to being a kid and what should be the wonder of the Christmas spirit. Least fav is probably Santa Baby or Blue Christmas

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Favorite:  White Christmas 

Least Favorite: I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas 

I have a lot of Christmas tunes I really like and will listen to them throughout the year.

Nothing like streaming some pandora in the car with the Christmas channel going in July on a random Tuesday  Buffalo_Gal! I hear ya ??

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Hard to beat Dean Martin’s baby it’s cold outside, just for kicking back with some eggnog while decorating the tree, although that seems to be quickly getting banned from radio play per another thread; as far as carols go, o holy night is up there for me as well as German carols from that part of my family, like “Leise Rieselt der Schnee.” Classic melodies that always take me back to being a kid and what should be the wonder of the Christmas spirit. Least fav is probably Santa Baby or Blue Christmas

was there anything Dean couldn't do?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It's like watching Citizen Kane, then Bio-Dome.

some might argue Macca has the more thoughtful, intelligent song there...  :D

(you know his fans....)

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

A savant—pretty much any member of the rat pack you could pose the same question about, IMHO. Timeless quality!

Dean's movie presence is even golden, even in the total trash he was often a part of

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Dean's movie presence is even golden, even in the total trash he was often a part of

Playing the straight man to Jerry L. Lewis’ character in “at war with the army” for some reason has always stuck in my mind, I think that’s a good example. Lewis played one of the most annoying characters I’ve ever seen on film. Not even sure how I stumbled across that movie years ago. ?

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Playing the straight man to Jerry L. Lewis’ character in “at war with the army” for some reason has always stuck in my mind, I think that’s a good example. Lewis played one of the most annoying characters I’ve ever seen on film. Not even sure how I stumbled across that movie years ago. ?

My Jerry tolerance level isn't the strongest.

Dean fit in well with the best actors in all genres.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Favorite is probably Springsteen's Santa Claus is Coming to Town. 

Least favorite is Christmas Shoes.

I first heard the Springsteen version on my way to pick up a keg in college. I remember who I was with and where we drove. (He doesn’t remember it, I asked him 30+ years later.) Funny how little things like that stick with you, but I can’t remember what I had for lunch half the time.....

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Favorites: Christmas Time Is Here- Ray Parker Jr

Christmas Wrapping- The Waitresses

Worst: Whams Last Christmas 

Paul McCartney’s Simply Having a Wonderful Xmas time 

If you want to hear something awful, try Taylor Swift’s version of Last Christmas. I’m not a hater, but she can’t do that song.

I also dislike Santa Baby, Hippopotamus, Christmas Shoes,

and just to be ornery, I never liked Baby it’s Cold Outside.  Too much talking.

I like the classics, White Christmas, (and just about anything by Bing Crosby), Chestnuts Roasting by Nat King Cole, and other classics by Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams.

Bruce Springsteen’s Santa Claus is Comin to Town is also a song that will make me turn up the volume in the car.

Here is an instrumental that was played on TV every day during the Christmas season in the 50's.    Was typically played in the evening, I think around noon time.  Every time I here it I become about 6 years old.

It was also played every morning on the radio during the season on the Clint Buehlman show which was WBEN. 

I worked with a guy 25-30 years ago who would break into bellowing song every time he heard or there was even mention of O Holy Night! To this day, EVERY time I hear it I think of Lawrence. Nice guy. 

Not a song but a CD, White Christmas is a piano solo by Emilio Pandolfi is probably my favorite holiday music. Absolutely beautiful. Burl Ives with Holly Jolly Christmas was a classic with the kids and the first “family music” that comes to mind. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I worked with a guy 25-30 years ago who would break into bellowing song every time he heard or there was even mention of O Holy Night! To this day, EVERY time I hear it I think of Lawrence. Nice guy. 

Not a song but a CD, White Christmas is a piano solo by Emilio Pandolfi is probably my favorite holiday music. Absolutely beautiful. Burl Ives with Holly Jolly Christmas was a classic with the kids and the first “family music” that comes to mind. 

I do that all the time with a variety of songs.  Drives my kids nuts.  It's awesome.

Just now, KD in CA said:

I do that all the time with a variety of songs.  Drives my kids nuts.  It's awesome.

My son would break out into blaring Lion King song in the back seat. Out of nowhere!  I almost wrecked the car!!!  Startled the hell out of me! We.........came to an understanding. 

23 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I don't care for Dean Martin's version, because all you can hear is him, the other part of the sing is sung by a group of chorus girls, and you can barely hear them.

22 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Favorites: Christmas Time Is Here- Ray Parker Jr

Christmas Wrapping- The Waitresses

Worst: Whams Last Christmas 

Paul McCartney’s Simply Having a Wonderful Xmas time 

That is not a Christmas song.

21 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

If you want to hear something awful, try Taylor Swift’s version of Last Christmas. I’m not a hater, but she can’t do that song.

I also dislike Santa Baby, Hippopotamus, Christmas Shoes,

and just to be ornery, I never liked Baby it’s Cold Outside.  Too much talking.

Baby It's Cold Outside is not a Christmas song.

I understand where you are coming from about Last Christmas, but Taylor Swift's version is much more bearable than Wham's.

5 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Here is an instrumental that was played on TV every day during the Christmas season in the 50's.    Was typically played in the evening, I think around noon time.  Every time I here it I become about 6 years old.

It was also played every morning on the radio during the season on the Clint Buehlman show which was WBEN. 

Sleigh Ride is one of my favorites. Even moreso after last year when my son was fortunate to make the "honors" high school band as a freshman. As it turns out it's an annual tradition to close the winter concert with Sleigh Ride and they invite past grads to join the band on stage. And they absolutely nail the song right down to the trumpet/horse part at the end. Looking forward to seeing it again in a few weeks.

In the mean time, no Christmas season should be without Linus & Lucy:

• Like (+1) 1