Julio Jones and the 2019 Bills

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

I TOTALLY hear what you are saying, but it just may be one year early IMO depending upon the cost. I’ll trust the FO over any of us! I just don’t want to get jammed up over any more bad contracts. Let’s get the base together first. Next year we WILL still be 1-2 pieces away, but we’ll know better where we stand and how to fill them after that. 

You don't though..........you are always going to have holes to fill.........it doesn't end so treating the draft like a means to one is not the point.

When Aaron Donald came out nobody on this site had any interest in drafting him because the Bills had a loaded front with Mario/Dareus/KW/Hughes.............two years later they were desperate for a DL in round 1?.........you just never know and you can't just draft and stack players like it's the 1980's.

In fact trying to keep all of their own drafted talent in the 1990's is what caused the Bills to get in deep cap trouble in 2000...........which is the LAST time this franchise has been in any legitimate cap difficulty.   Even that was half bullish*t.......Donahoe used it as an excuse to tear it all down and after taking just one offseason off he was back spending in the market.

You're worrying about future cap difficulty when they are projecting to have about $200M in cap room over the next two seasons........the two seasons before they can even extend the first of McD's draft picks(Dawkins or Milano for instance) or pick up White's 5th year option.     They are fine for cap space.........you can't roll over $80M ever year because you are worried about 5 years from now.

• Like (+1) 1

First of all, it's not going to happen. He will have his choice of teams if Atlanta doesn't get it done and it's unlikely Buffalo will be his top choice.

Secondly, I cannot for the life of me understand why any Bills fan in their right mind wouldn't want to have Julio Jones even at a large price tag. Nobody here wanted Cooper. Every time I hear about a potential target, people here act like the Bills are too good for said receiver. It's really bizarre considering the garbage we trot out there every week.

You're fine paying a space eating DT 10 mil/year but want to pass on paying one of the best receivers in football 18? That's just lunacy.

If we have any chance in the world at Julio Jones and don't make the move, then everyone actually SHOULD be fired.

• Like (+1) 1

Just from the way the NFL is going as far as it being an all passing with a sprinkle of defense kind of game these days. I see more speedsters getting drafted, tyreek is deadly cuz mahomes can throw a moon ball and tyreek just out runs everyone and gets under it. Guess who has one of the few, possibly the only QB with a bigger arm... obviously mahomes and hill are much more than speed, but a skilled speedster could be deadly paired with a possession receiver and a match up nightmare at TE. Probably take more than one season to build but I think that's the direction most offenses are going.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

We’re building a young (and cheap) team to move forward. I don’t see an expensive flashy move for a guy who will be over the hill by the time we are seriously competing. 

?? No reason this team can't compete next year, with the right moves. Julio would be a great add, and would probably be elite for another 4 years at least. 

3 hours ago, Magox said:

I also actually believe that they will try to make a run at Julio.  I am certain that Beane will do whatever he can possibly  with reason do to get him elite talent at the pass catching level.

Yeah, I agree and I brought this up a while ago too.  I think 4 big name WRs have trade potential, some more than others.  I think Julio is top of the list in terms most likely to be available.  And if he is, I think we are certainly in play as a possible suitor and we know Beane is a trade wiz.

1 - Julio:  Falcons need to regroup, especially on the D.  The only year they made serious run and lost SB was when they had a strong defense.  Other than that, they havent even made playoffs much (so much for only offense matter lmao).  This is a good defensive draft, so could be enticing to move him for picks this year.

2 - AJ Green:  Injuries, Age and an expected rebuild I think could see AJ available.  I am not personally that interested as he’s always dealing with injuries.

These next 2 are not as likely to be available, but I think it’s possible they could be:

3 - OBJ:  Impending rebuild is coming, but OBJ is young so they don’t “need” to move him.  But it seems like the FO and Coaching staff are tiring of his attitude and maybe they don’t want to deal with it while rebuilding with a young QB.  So wouldn't surprise me if they moved him for the right offer to help fuel a rebuild around Barkley and what ever QB they draft.  This is also a deep WR draft to.

4 - Antonio Brown:  I think this is the least likely as things seem better since the troubles earlier this year.  But there was some tension between him and the team at times, and if Steelers have an early exit in playoffs, I could see them maybe be opening to trading AB to retool the defense too.  They have young talent at WR behind him and Steelers always seem to move on from their #1 with young prospects ready to move up at WR.  

1 hour ago, Clyde Smith said:

Sometimes you need a 30 yr old WR to put you over the top. Say hi James Lofton.?

Fair enough.

But the year we brought in Lofton, was it Kelly's second year in the league? Was the offense one of the worst in the league the year before? Or had they gone 12-4 the year before they brought in Lofton? (hint: the answer to this last one is "yes.")

Also, the Bills didn't trade for Lofton, they picked him up as an FA, and an FA who wasn't getting a lot of demand.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't though..........you are always going to have holes to fill.........it doesn't end so treating the draft like a means to one is not the point.

When Aaron Donald came out nobody on this site had any interest in drafting him because the Bills had a loaded front with Mario/Dareus/KW/Hughes.............two years later they were desperate for a DL in round 1?.........you just never know and you can't just draft and stack players like it's the 1980's.

In fact trying to keep all of their own drafted talent in the 1990's is what caused the Bills to get in deep cap trouble in 2000...........which is the LAST time this franchise has been in any legitimate cap difficulty.   Even that was half bullish*t.......Donahoe used it as an excuse to tear it all down and after taking just one offseason off he was back spending in the market.

You're worrying about future cap difficulty when they are projecting to have about $200M in cap room over the next two seasons........the two seasons before they can even extend the first of McD's draft picks(Dawkins or Milano for instance) or pick up White's 5th year option.     They are fine for cap space.........you can't roll over $80M ever year because you are worried about 5 years from now.

Yup, the eighties were the last time this franchise was in legitimate cap difficulties ...

Except of course the ones we just finally squirmed our way out of, with Whaley spending like a team in a Super Bowl window on a team that was mediocre at best. Next year we'll finally be able to stop worrying about that. But don't expect them to change who they are.

"Because we have it" is no reason to spend all the money you have. They are a conservative FO. Might as well get used to it. They make a non-conservative move every once in a great while, but this is who they are. It's what they learned in Carolina, and it's what virtually all the teams that are consistent competitors for titles do. And since being a consistent competitor for titles is their express goal, building through the draft and filling in with non-premium FAs is what you ought to expect.

Oh, and after three years under contract, teams can work new contracts, so they will be able to start working out newies for McDermott's first draft right after next year. Not to mention guys like Jordan Phillips, Kyle Williams, Lorax, Groy and Mills (as depth, hopefully), Derek Anderson (as QB mentor), Logan Thomas, Sirles, Eddie Yarbrough, McKenzie, Foster and Levi Wallace who are not signed as yet for next year. Or even Benjamin, though they might easily decide any contract is too much for the guy, even though his price will surely have dropped. They absolutely won't sign all of them but are likely to sign a bunch and could sign guys they want for the long term to front-loaded contracts that will be spend a lot of salary next year and not so much down the road to keep the cap in good shape. They could also use that money to extend guys like Hughes

4 hours ago, transient said:

You don’t know that, his time as Raiders GM may have given him a new appreciation for speed... making him... fast... by... association?

The Reggie McKenzie that led The Electric Company and the Raiders GM are two different people 

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

First of all, it's not going to happen. He will have his choice of teams if Atlanta doesn't get it done and it's unlikely Buffalo will be his top choice.

Secondly, I cannot for the life of me understand why any Bills fan in their right mind wouldn't want to have Julio Jones even at a large price tag. Nobody here wanted Cooper. Every time I hear about a potential target, people here act like the Bills are too good for said receiver. It's really bizarre considering the garbage we trot out there every week.

You're fine paying a space eating DT 10 mil/year but want to pass on paying one of the best receivers in football 18? That's just lunacy.

If we have any chance in the world at Julio Jones and don't make the move, then everyone actually SHOULD be fired.

He is THIRTY YEARS OLD. You just don’t invest in 30 year old receivers. If he was 25, I’d do it all day.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, the eighties were the last time this franchise was in legitimate cap difficulties ...

Except of course the ones we just finally squirmed our way out of, with Whaley spending like a team in a Super Bowl window on a team that was mediocre at best. Next year we'll finally be able to stop worrying about that. But don't expect them to change who they are.

"Because we have it" is no reason to spend all the money you have. They are a conservative FO. Might as well get used to it. They make a non-conservative move every once in a great while, but this is who they are. It's what they learned in Carolina, and it's what virtually all the teams that are consistent competitors for titles do. And since being a consistent competitor for titles is their express goal, building through the draft and filling in with non-premium FAs is what you ought to expect.

Oh, and after three years under contract, teams can work new contracts, so they will be able to start working out newies for McDermott's first draft right after next year. Not to mention guys like Jordan Phillips, Kyle Williams, Lorax, Groy and Mills (as depth, hopefully), Derek Anderson (as QB mentor), Logan Thomas, Sirles, Eddie Yarbrough, McKenzie, Foster and Levi Wallace who are not signed as yet for next year. Or even Benjamin, though they might easily decide any contract is too much for the guy, even though his price will surely have dropped. They absolutely won't sign all of them but are likely to sign a bunch and could sign guys they want for the long term to front-loaded contracts that will be spend a lot of salary next year and not so much down the road to keep the cap in good shape. They could also use that money to extend guys like Hughes

What you are incorrectly calling “conservative” is actually what prudence forces teams do when they are paying an elite QB big money.  Teams like the Bills who have a QB on a rookie deal can afford to be more aggressive elsewhere.

And in any event I don’t think you’re right about their mentality.  They went after Mack.  They must know that adding a top tier receiver will help Josh’s development -  they need to protect the investment they’ve made in him - beefing up the interior line, adding a young versatile running back, maybe a tight end, and yes, a real actual live-bodied pro receiver - these are just things need to be done and I expect Beane to do them.

As for your list of expiring contracts - that is one motley bunch - they had better not use up a sizeable portion of their cap room on that group.

4 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

In all honesty, I agree with you. It will happen, but as you said, it will be a bad move most likely.

LOL, you're right! Forgot about that. Duh!!

And before that, Brandon Cooks.  And before him, the Cowboys did it again with Roy Williams.  And there was Percy Harvin going to the Seahawks for a first.

I know we’re in a post-truth society now but please, try to fact-check just a little... 

Edited by Coach Tuesday

7 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

A match made in heaven.  He wants a new contract. The Falcons just took Ridley in the 1st round and will probably be rebuilding with a new coach. He will be 30 next year and has shown no signs of slowing down.  

I actually EXPECT Beane to make a run for him this off season.  We have seen he likes to wheel and deal and next year he will have the $ and picks at his disposal.  It fills probably our biggest need besides O-line, which is a true #1 reciever. Give him a 3 year 60 million dollar extension and everybody is happy. I don’t know what it would take to get him, maybe a 1st and a 4th or so.  

Then our 2019 Wr would look something like:

1.Julio Jones

2. Zay Jones

3. Isiah Mckenzie

4. Robert Foster

5. Fill in the blank

Get Allen a “waterbug” type running back, a # 1 tight end, 3 more offensive linemen and you have a division winner next year IMO. Oh yeh and a new special teams coach for good measure.  

I would like to have him but dont want to spend high picks on him or too much money.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

We’re building a young (and cheap) team to move forward. I don’t see an expensive flashy move for a guy who will be over the hill by the time we are seriously competing

You mean next year ??

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Julio is the man, but most WRs do not age gracefully.  Plus it seems like he’s banged up a lot.  At some point he’ll stop answering the bell every week.

the new James Lofton

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Julio is the man, but most WRs do not age gracefully.  Plus it seems like he’s banged up a lot.  At some point he’ll stop answering the bell every week.

James Lofton

No thanks I'd rather pay LeVeon Bell and draft Marquise Brown and a mid round guy like Parris Campbell. Add some OL in FA, add some OL in the draft. We need young unproven guys that are talented and on rookie contracts. Let's grow our own superstars in the draft. Save that money for Milano and Tre, they need to eat soon.

I don't understand the people that are against this. Is Julio 30 years old? Yes. Is it going to take a lot to get him? More than likely. Is he going to cost a lot against the cap? Yes. I don't care. Go get Julio. 

I don't think I would give up a first rounder for him. But a 2nd rounder for a receiver that could have 4 to 5 great years left that can put us over the top offensively, I'm doing it. We also have $90 million in cap space. Julio might take up at the high end about $20 million of it. That still leaves $70 million to make other signings and draft other players. I'm all over a move for Julio