Julio Jones and the 2019 Bills

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You can get young and still add Julio(who isn't old). It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Julio is a 30 year old WR, and you only get so many draft picks. I’m a guy who likes to build both lines, then move out. We need SERIOUS help on the OLine through free agency and the draft. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Julio is a 30 year old WR, and you only get so many draft picks. I’m a guy who likes to build both lines, then move out. We need SERIOUS help on the OLine through free agency and the draft. 

Don't get me wrong I like Julio, when he is on the field he is all the things we hoped KB would be... tall receiver, fast, wide catch radius, great hands, and fearless.

I just would not want to break the bank on him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

In two of his first three years, Julio didn’t get 1,000 yards. If they didn't think Ridley was the replacement, why would they let Julio leave?  Ridley has fewer catches and yards (NO IDEA on targets), but he has 8 TD’s to Julio’s 3. 

Like it or not, Ridley WAS drafted to replace Julio. I don’t care whether you like that or not, it’s what they did. I live in Atlanta, this is common knowledge. 

Antowain Smith was "drafted to replace" Thurman Thomas.........Marcellus Wiley was "drafted to replace" Bruce Smith...........it wasn't assumed they were going to just start leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage and start winning NFLDPOY awards..........expecting Ridley to become a first team All Pro and probably HOF'er is mighty presumptuous.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Antowain Smith was "drafted to replace" Thurman Thomas.........Marcellus Wiley was "drafted to replace" Bruce Smith...........it wasn't assumed they were going to just start leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage and start winning NFLDPOY awards..........expecting Ridley to become a first team All Pro and probably HOF'er is mighty presumptuous.

I never said Ridley will become a Julio. I don’t believe that to be true for a second. But at some point in time, Bruce is no longer Bruce, and you need somebody to fill that roll. He’ll never be Bruce, but he’s the new guy. 

Atlanta only gets rid of Julio if they think he’s not worth the money, and it’s to THEIR advantage to take the picks. THEY are a lot closer to the SB than we are. So why would they not go all in? 

• Like (+1) 1

We are building a core around Allen with young undrafted  receivers and finding what will work on tight-ends.  Will folks please stop looking at those like Jones who would shatter us and could lead to us having an under performing salary cap liability.  The recipe for the receiceing corps is not to over pay and allow Josh to make his progressions. 

Edited by Joeziehmer

I never said Ridley will become a Julio. I don’t believe that to be true for a second. But at some point in time, Bruce is no longer Bruce, and you need somebody to fill that roll. He’ll never be Bruce, but he’s the new guy. 

Atlanta only gets rid of Julio if they think he’s not worth the money, and it’s to THEIR advantage to take the picks. THEY are a lot closer to the SB than we are. So why would they not go all in? 

How do you know that Atlanta will be closer to a SB than Buffalo next year?

They haven't been entirely right since they blew that lead in the SB and look at how the landscape of SB contenders has changed just since that 2016 season.    Saints and Eagles were both 7-9 that year.   That was the third straight 7-9 for NOLA and there was talk about getting rid of Sean Payton.   The  Rams were 4-12.    Chiefs were a "defense and protect the ball" team with no playmakers and Alex Smith at QB.

As for a trade being "their advantage" to take picks............it was supposedly Cleveland's advantage to take the picks when they allowed Atlanta to trade up for Julio Jones.  Picks are the more unknown commodity.    

Like I said.........AFC East could be vulnerable from top to bottom for the first time in two decades next year...........you have a coach that is still getting his message thru..........it's a good time to strike..........teams with still-developing second year QB's have been winning big in this league in recent years.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How do you know that Atlanta will be closer to a SB than Buffalo next year?

They haven't been entirely right since they blew that lead in the SB and look at how the landscape of SB contenders has changed just since that 2016 season.    Saints and Eagles were both 7-9 that year.   That was the third straight 7-9 for NOLA and there was talk about getting rid of Sean Payton.   The  Rams were 4-12.    Chiefs were a "defense and protect the ball" team with no playmakers and Alex Smith at QB.

As for a trade being "their advantage" to take picks............it was supposedly Cleveland's advantage to take the picks when they allowed Atlanta to trade up for Julio Jones.  Picks are the more unknown commodity.    

Like I said.........AFC East could be vulnerable from top to bottom for the first time in two decades next year...........you have a coach that is still getting his message thru..........it's a good time to strike..........teams with still-developing second year QB's have been winning big in this league in recent years.

Well, this has been fun, but I’m tired of it.

I LOVE your optimism for the immediate future. I’m also high on this team. I just question trading high picks who could be our future for a guy we know is going to be on his downslide. Maybe I just have a more long term vision, but that tends to be my way. That’s not a shot at you, just how I see it. That’s what makes it interesting.  

• Like (+1) 1

I mean he is just too old to invest a big contract into. It never works out, rather go for someone 4 years younger that can play through their prime. Just my thinking.

Julios best days will always be in Atlanta. I want someone whose best days may still lie ahead

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Well, this has been fun, but I’m tired of it.

I LOVE your optimism for the immediate future. I’m also high on this team. I just question trading high picks who could be our future for a guy we know is going to be on his downslide. Maybe I just have a more long term vision, but that tends to be my way. That’s not a shot at you, just how I see it. That’s what makes it interesting.  

It's not just you.    I think most Bills fans really don't understand that this is how the league works now.    The NFL has been working ever closer to parity for decades now and now that young QB's can actually win they've damn near perfected it.    

The last time the Bills were a contender things were MUCH different.......besides Clinton being in office and the NFL not broadcasting in HD yet.........your mindset on slow cooking a team together is back there in the olden days.   And it's not optimism.......it's understanding practically everyone is close now but not everyone has the right path/window.    Like your Falcons tearing thru a vulnerable 2016 NFC South or the Eagles tearing thru a weak 2017 NFC East.   

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's not just you.    I think most Bills fans really don't understand that this is how the league works now.    The NFL has been working ever closer to parity for decades now and now that young QB's can actually win they've damn near perfected it.    

The last time the Bills were a contender things were MUCH different.......besides Clinton being in office and the NFL not broadcasting in HD yet.........your mindset on slow cooking a team together is back there in the olden days.   And it's not optimism.......it's understanding practically everyone is close now but not everyone has the right path/window.    Like your Falcons tearing thru a vulnerable 2016 NFC South or the Eagles tearing thru a weak 2017 NFC East.   

Do you have ANY idea how pompous and condescending that sounds?  Aside from all your other missed assumptions, I don’t give a rip about the Falcons. I just happen to live here.  

We all have opinions. They are just that...opinions. Just like yours. 

Edited by Augie

Just now, Augie said:

Do you have ANY idea how pompous that sounds?  Aside from all your other missed assumptions, I don’t give a rip about the Falcons. I just happen to live here.  

We all have opinions. They are just that...opinions. Just like yours. 

I thought you were tired??

You are going to have to re-learn how to win Augie.:beer:

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I thought you were tired??

You are going to have to re-learn how to win Augie.:beer:

I have the energy to point out pompous - so that makes me a winner. 

Look, we all have opinions, and some people are complete idiots (and are therefore discounted). The people with legit opinions are to be treated fairly. Neither of us have an advantage there. I’m not too stupid to know how the league works, but I may have a different opinion. 

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

?

The Falcons are not trading Julio. Matt Ryan will be 34 next season and you don't really rebuild with a Stud QB entering his mid 30's. The Falcons despite having Ridley will not trade away the player that makes their offense elite because they can't afford to wate Matt Ryan.

Julio will be 30 next year, which means he will face 2 to 3 elite seasons left as receivers typically play at a high level into their early 30s. That's not something the Falcons can afford to pass on. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I mean he is just too old to invest a big contract into. It never works out, rather go for someone 4 years younger that can play through their prime. Just my thinking.

Julios best days will always be in Atlanta. I want someone whose best days may still lie ahead

Veterans are important. We're having a youth movement but it's important to keep vets stashed strategically throughout the roster. Look at Lorax, lengthy career, it took til Buffalo until he became the difference maker he is. He honestly feels like a longtime Bill like Kyle W. They keep the 21yo kids on track, teach them how to be a pro. The problem is Atlanta will want two 1sts. No thank you. Age is not the problem, I'd love to have him otherwise.

On 12/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, Warcodered said:

If they can get him on a short deal why not.

Exactly. The Bills are going to have all of this cap space, right? Give Julio a ton of money all up-front, that's what you can do in the Bills position. He's not going to want a long contract, he's going to want money now. The Bills will be able to provide that.

I think it makes a ton of sense on both sides, honestly. Then what you want is a power RB, like a Marshawn Lynch or Leveon Bell or Leonard Fournette -- not any of them exactly, but that kind of guy. Hopefully they can find someone in the 2nd or 3rd round or wherever. 

4 hours ago, mrags said:

I’ve been saying this all season. I think they will make a run at Jones. Wants out of Atl, or at least wants a new contract. 

I wouldnt soemd more than a 2nd for him. Maybe a 2nd and a 4th or 5th. 

I think I'd rather just spend a 1st rounder than give up three picks.

Even at 30 years old, you're still getting Julio Jones. The Bills have so many OL holes that they're going to want more mid-round picks, not fewer. It's not like a 1st rounder is always a sure thing either - we spent two for Sammy Watkins for what, exactly? You know what you're getting when you are looking at the elite WRs - so if you have an opportunity to get someone like Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, at whatever age & cost, I think you absolutely go for it.

It's because the Bills are young and cheap that it makes sense to spend big for a proven veteran playmaker. By the time Julio's 3-year contract is up and he's gone, well that's when you have to pay Allen anyway, and by then hopefully you've been drafting and bringing WRs up the right way. 

1 hour ago, Monty Green said:

Exactly. The Bills are going to have all of this cap space, right? Give Julio a ton of money all up-front, that's what you can do in the Bills position. He's not going to want a long contract, he's going to want money now. The Bills will be able to provide that.

I think it makes a ton of sense on both sides, honestly. Then what you want is a power RB, like a Marshawn Lynch or Leveon Bell or Leonard Fournette -- not any of them exactly, but that kind of guy. Hopefully they can find someone in the 2nd or 3rd round or wherever. 

I think I'd rather just spend a 1st rounder than give up three picks.

Even at 30 years old, you're still getting Julio Jones. The Bills have so many OL holes that they're going to want more mid-round picks, not fewer. It's not like a 1st rounder is always a sure thing either - we spent two for Sammy Watkins for what, exactly? You know what you're getting when you are looking at the elite WRs - so if you have an opportunity to get someone like Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, at whatever age & cost, I think you absolutely go for it.

It's because the Bills are young and cheap that it makes sense to spend big for a proven veteran playmaker. By the time Julio's 3-year contract is up and he's gone, well that's when you have to pay Allen anyway, and by then hopefully you've been drafting and bringing WRs up the right way. 

Fwiw I said a 2nd and a 4th OR a 5th. 

I wouldn’t give up 3 picks either. And I wouldn’t give up a 1st. Not unless we got a pick back in the deal. 

• Like (+1) 1